Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You say you can’t get enough of the ‘Walt Wonderland’? You say you missed the last 'Walt Fest' ride?

Fear not! Because it's that time of year again... time to renew your faith in our savior (dirt) and join us for a festive crank up the Sunrise Trail in the McDowell Mountain Preserve on Saturday, December 24th @ 9:30 AM. It's just a couple hour spin before we head off to celebrate the holiday with our family and friends.

The ride will start around 10:00 AM at the end of 124th St., progress up Lost Dog to Ringtail, up Ringtail over to the Sunrise junction, up and over Sunrise to 144th, down Via Linda to 128th, up 128th to the start of Ringtail, take Ringtail back over to Lost Dog, and end at the BTU's (Bike Transportation Units).

Note that this is to be considered a 'social' ride and refreshments will be served after the event.

Happy Holidays and RHRF!

·
I am Walt
6,392 Posts
titusbro said:
You say you can't get enough of the 'Walt Wonderland'? You say you missed the last 'Walt Fest' ride?

Fear not! Because it's that time of year again... time to renew your faith in our savior (dirt) and join us for a festive crank up the Sunrise Trail in the McDowell Mountain Preserve on Saturday, December 24th @ 9:30 AM. It's just a couple hour spin before we head off to celebrate the holiday with our family and friends.

The ride will start around 10:00 AM at the end of 124th St., progress up Lost Dog to Ringtail, up Ringtail over to the Sunrise junction, up and over Sunrise to 144th, down Via Linda to 128th, up 128th to the start of Ringtail, take Ringtail back over to Lost Dog, and end at the BTU's (Bike Transportation Units).

Note that this is to be considered a 'social' ride and refreshments will be served after the event.

Happy Holidays and RHRF!
I'll try to make it. Depends on the family plans, which I don't know about yet. Is it 9:30 or 10, though?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I will try to make this ride and will confirm on the 23rd.

Amen, I say to you that a camel could pass through the eye of a needle easier than a mountainbiker clear Sunrise.

Let's all hope for a Christmas miracle!

·
Addicted to Dirt
674 Posts
titusbro said:
You say you can't get enough of the 'Walt Wonderland'? You say you missed the last 'Walt Fest' ride?

Happy Holidays and RHRF!
Sounds like fun. Can you describe the ride in more detail (length, terrain, etc...) I want to decide wether to hit South Mountain or this ride that morning.

Also, who wants to give me a ride from here to the trail. We can share gas and post ride refreshments... ;)

Unfortunately I will be car less until Monday 12/26.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sunrise is just long and somewhat steep. Nothing tech, just grinding. Sunrise is actually very similar to climbing the road to the towers at SoMo (minus the dirt, of course).

You do realize that from you are quite possibly as far from Sunrise as you can be (and still be in the Phx metro area).

IMO, a better time and workout could be found climbing to the BV lookout on the road and bombing down Geronimo... and you won't have to spend at least an hour driving each way. I'd be game for either being that SoMo is a little closer to my house than Sunrise, but I would like to clean Walts (and Rodneys) clock on the Sunrise climb. ;)
ingluis said:
Sounds like fun. Can you describe the ride in more detail (length, terrain, etc...) I want to decide wether to hit South Mountain or this ride that morning.

Also, who wants to give me a ride from here to the trail. We can share gas and post ride refreshments... ;)

Unfortunately I will be car less until Monday 12/26.

·
Addicted to Dirt
674 Posts
funboarder1971 said:
Sunrise is just long and somewhat steep. Nothing tech, just grinding. Sunrise is actually very similar to climbing the road to the towers at SoMo (minus the dirt, of course).

You do realize that from you are quite possibly as far from Sunrise as you can be (and still be in the Phx metro area).

IMO, a better time and workout could be found climbing to the BV lookout on the road and bombing down Geronimo... and you won't have to spend at least an hour driving each way. I'd be game for either being that SoMo is a little closer to my house than Sunrise, but I would like to clean Walts (and Rodneys) clock on the Sunrise climb. ;)
Nothing like dropping your friends on a good climb... Luckily we mtb'ers are not a competitive species ;)

Thanks for the info! I guess I should stick with SoMo then, I'll probably hit the trail a little earlier, around 8:30 - 9am.

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ride Time...

waltaz said:
I'll try to make it. Depends on the family plans, which I don't know about yet. Is it 9:30 or 10, though?
Walt,

My plan was to actually start the tires rolling around 10:00 AM. I'll be at the trail head around 9:30 for my pre-ride ritual of stretching, belching, farting, and other sundry moans and grunts...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Definately!

Walt likes Sunrise/Lost Dog (and rightfully so) because it is a 5 minute ride from his house. Its a good trail too.

If I was in Phx for a limited time, and was in SoMo's backyard (as you are), I'd be all over it. There is a LOT of riding to be done there. I have a friend who lives off of Riggs and Desert Foothills, so I may be in your (or is it "you're" ;) ) 'hood sometime this week. Also, I might have showing someone else around during this time as well, and we will hit SoMo, fer shure.

ingluis said:
Nothing like dropping your friends on a good climb... Luckily we mtb'ers are not a competitive species ;)

Thanks for the info! I guess I should stick with SoMo then, I'll probably hit the trail a little earlier, around 8:30 - 9am.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
YuriB said:
might have to try and make this one.
Oh, you must!

Legend has it that on Christmas Eve, a jolly elf with a large jiggly belly appears on a magical singlespeed! The elf hands out presents to all the good boys and girls, and lets out a hearty laugh all the while. Best of all, legend describes the elf as resembling WaltAZ!!!

As for those bad boys and girls....well, they get gobbled up alive.

Attachments

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
tis the season i hear

AZClydesdale said:
Legend has it that on Christmas Eve, a jolly elf with a large jiggly belly appears on a magical singlespeed! The elf hands out presents to all the good boys and girls, and lets out a hearty laugh all the while. Best of all, legend describes the elf as resembling WaltAZ!!!
but i thought it was an angry gnome

Attachments

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Only you Steve, would ruin my Christmas... Santa Walt... bah humbug!!!

This is what I had in mind... and yes, I was a bad boy this year!

AZClydesdale said:
Oh, you must!

As for those bad boys and girls....well, they get gobbled up alive.

Attachments

·
my knees hurt
462 Posts
Wish I could be there...brake trouble again...there going back to Hope for a rebuild. I've never had so many problems with equipment failure before. Anyway everybody have a great ride and a healthy/happy holiday.-Mark

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
I have brake problems of a different sort. I've got my complete Sycip FS 29er sitting in the shop waiting on my discs to arrive. I feel like riding it and using my feet to stop Fred Flintstone style.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts