Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a local ride towing the 5 year old. Wanted to check out some trails I had found on the map, but had never been on.

Thought y'all might like to see some photos of the hometown

Leaving the house. Beautiful day with temps into the mid 50's.

Didn't bother taking the Big apples off as the ride is mostly street/dirt multiuser trails with less than a mile of true off road.

Stopped to see the ducks at the lake.

Starting some singletrack:

I'd never been on this trail before as it is not very long. I am looking for a "shortcut" through a very rocky, almost slickrock area so I can stay off the main roads when I start a commute I will have in the future.

This area is called the "Granite Dells" and has some really neat rock formations. The rock is not put together enough to be ridable for any distance like the slickrock trail.

I imagine the rock climbing would be pretty good in here.

The shortcut travels in a narrow channel between the rock towers.

Found some ice.

Surprising as it hasn't been much below freezing at night for a week.

Hike-a-trail-a-bike sucks....luckily it has a bashring.

After 1/4 mile of Hike-a-trail-a-bike, it opened up a little.

Then on dirt roads out to where the new office will be built. Ranches are getting swallowed up slowly out here as the real estate becomes too valuable for the ranchers to resist development.

Of course, my friends came along as always.

Counted 25 Goathead thorns in the front tire. Most had broken off, best to leave them in place until the ride is over. Amazingly I did not flat (during the ride. The front is flat today.)

Return the way you came. Total route only 12 miles.

All in all a very decent Christmas ride. We saw lots of quail, rabbits, a red tailed hawk, javelinas, cows and horses.

What I love about biking is that I never would have seen most of this had I been cruising by quickly in a car, and hiking is just too slow to actually get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. Most folks around here never get out of the city, when the "country is only a few miles away....I pity them.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Great ride pics and words!

Do put a good splash of latex or slime in your tubes, a miracle you made it home without a flat!
But puncturing through Big Apple rubber, wow, that's pretty impressive!

·