Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story. I moved to the city last year and i wanted to get a cheap bike for commuting and light trail rides. I bought a Fuji Nevada 3.0, basically bottom of the barrel, i know. After a few weeks of commuting and training i decide to take it up the Human Powered Trails(they are directly above my house) After some light trail riding i am on the farthest trail from the welcome center, then my chain decided to wrap itself around my spindle and get kinked between the BB and crank. So i had to walk my ass 3 miles to the top of the bluff and coast down the hill to my house:confused: . After that fix and a few weeks i am commuting to work and my front tire finds a crack just wide enough to get stuck and i get thrown over the bars. I broke my scaphoid bone in my wrist and was in a cast for 2 and a half months:mad: . After getting the cast off and getting back to normal i start riding again for a few weeks. This time my front derailuer explodes and i crash and get road rash all over my arms and legs:madmax: . I am so pissed off at this point that i just sold the bike. I am currently building a SS all rigid just because that POS pissed me off so much. Was i right in doing this? Does anyone else had something similar happen to them?

·
Registered
511 Posts
sjschreier said:
Does anyone else had something similar happen to them?
In June, I crashed three times in three weeks on two different bikes. In all three cases, it wasn't the bike's fault. I still have both bikes, but have now bought knee & elbow pads.

Granted, your old bike seems to have been problem prone, but sometimes that happens on cheaper bikes. My neighbor's old bike, a "$300 Target special" needed work/repair after every single ride, as it just wasn't up to being ridden on a trail. Thank goodness she finally got a better bike!

Hope you have better luck with your new ride.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Bummer, I hope the next bike works out better for you.
I had a lot of problems like that with my first mt bike. Ft der always slipped right when I was standing to make it up steep stuff. I got intimate with the stem a number of times. The last time it happened was on my ride home from the trail. Chain slipped, all weight went forward, foot came unclipped and went through front wheel, taking out several spokes and grinding the tire to a halt on my knee. Almost ground down to the bone.
Converted to singlespeed, and haven't had a drivetrain problem since. Broke the frame on that first bike and got a dedicated singlespeed. Couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
462 Posts
You get what you pay for. My first "real" mountain bike cost me $600, and it's still going strong (Cannondale hardtail) But before that, I had plenty of trouble from hand me down old bikes. Plenty of wrecks, plenty of fun. You were right about getting rid of that evil bike. With the singlespeed, you should be better off. Just keep riding,have fun, and stay away from junk!

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
I've been riding 25 years... 35 years... lets just say forever. Been lucky and have never had a major accident or broken down on the trail except once in the SF bay marshlands when I was a teenager. That took 4+ hours to walk out off. I could see the hills but got last in the marsh and was blocked by mud that I'd sink 2-3 feet into every time I tried to cross. That story is pretty funny now.

·
Killer b.
1,523 Posts
The Real Christine.

I've posted this before on the 'Rider Down' forum, but what the hey, your title caught my attention.

My wife's bike is called Christine after she threw two riders in the same day. The first was my mother in law. I was about to put our bikes in the car when my mother in law asked if she could have a ride on my wife's bike. I foolishly agreed, but forgot to tell her how powerful disk brakes are. She hadn't ridden in years and when she tried to stop, she pulled a fist full of brake and went over the bars. Result: Two fractured elbows. Being the bastard that I am I let others take her to the hospital while I headed off to the forest to meet a mate. He was riding Christine, who threw him off a 2ft skinny onto his head. Being made of tough stuff he escaped with a headache and a sore neck, but the warning is clear: Much like Christine the car, the only person safe on this bike is her actual owner.

Photo time.
Wendy and the devil bike.
Leah does a little multi-tasking.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts