Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
^^^^ as stated, don't look like it...you did not specify which Epic, but it appears all have a tapered headset...King says "will not fit a tapered headset..." :nono:

they will have one, just not that one :yesnod: ​if you really want a CK...just hope this isn't one of those mfg only components. Specialized's website was really vague other than stating it was tapered.

my picture below is of my Nail Trail's FSA integrated headset...you can see the pressed in cups at the top and bottom of the head tube...guess you can't see the top, but they look the same. I would think this what S gave you too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
^^^^ as stated, don't look like it...you did not specify which Epic, but it appears all have a tapered headset...King says "will not fit a tapered headset..." :nono:

they will have one, just not that one :yesnod: ​if you really want a CK...just hope this isn't one of those mfg only components. Specialized's website was really vague other than stating it was tapered.

my picture below is of my Nail Trail's FSA integrated headset...you can see the pressed in cups at the top and bottom of the head tube...guess you can't see the top, but they look the same. I would think this what S gave you too.
That isn't integrated, that is Zero Stack on your Marin.

Specialized uses integrated meaning there are no cups pressed into the frame. The bearings drop directly into the headtube.

·
Registered
973 Posts
That isn't integrated, that is Zero Stack on your Marin.

Specialized uses integrated meaning there are no cups pressed into the frame. The bearings drop directly into the headtube.
so the bearings use the actual head tube as the cup...if the bearing goes South, your frame goes with it...or at least it could? If so, isn't this one of CK issues regarding flawed engineering to save a bit of weight and cost?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
so the bearings use the actual head tube as the cup...if the bearing goes South, your frame goes with it...or at least it could? If so, isn't this one of CK issues regarding faulty engineering to save a bit of weight and cost?
Assuming you keep it properly tightened, it comes properly aligned from the factory, and replace bearings when needed there won't be a problem....what could possibly go wrong:skep:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Assuming you keep it properly tightened, it comes properly aligned from the factory, and replace bearings when needed there won't be a problem....what could possibly go wrong:skep:
can I assume you are being facetious and am I not correct, that CK will not support this design with any of their products?

you were correct re the headset on my bike...Marin describes it as FSA Orbit 1.5B ZS. I assumed that a ZS would have been the "integrated" design and that the "integral" was the bastard...and I mean that in the literal sense. You must then consider a ZS to be a better design?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
can I assume you are being facetious and am I not correct, that CK will not support this design with any of their products?

you were correct re the headset on my bike...Marin describes it as 1.5B ZS. I assumed that this would have been the "integrated" design and that the "integral" was the bastard...and I mean that in the literal sense. You must then consider a ZS to be a better design?
ZS (zero stack) is still a cup and bearing headset that is pressed into the headtube. That means you can face the headtube so everything aligns well. So yes, the zero stack system is a far superior design than integrated. And you are right, King does not support any system that does not allow you to face and align their headset or bottom bracket bearings.

·
Registered
973 Posts
ZS (zero stack) is still a cup and bearing headset that is pressed into the headtube. That means you can face the headtube so everything aligns well. So yes, the zero stack system is a far superior design than integrated. And you are right, King does not support any system that does not allow you to face and align their headset or bottom bracket bearings.
thanks for clearing that up :cool: at least for me

·
West Chester, PA
4,946 Posts
And you are right, King does not support any system that does not allow you to face and align their headset or bottom bracket bearings.
There's also the issue of branding. The integrated standard doesn't give them any real estate on which to print huge logos all the way around the cups. ;)

They just don't support it because they believe it's inferior engineering - ok then. I kind of admire that they don't chase the $. Especially since the integrated standard HAS to be cutting into their headset sales volume. I'm sure their loyal customers would buy a set of chris king bearings for their integrated headsets, even though there would be virtually no weight or performance benefit.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
so the bearings use the actual head tube as the cup...if the bearing goes South, your frame goes with it...or at least it could? If so, isn't this one of CK issues regarding flawed engineering to save a bit of weight and cost?
Pretty much, another brilliant engineering advance like PF30. I was really interested in a Devinci Atlas, but it has the same thing, integrated headset.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Pretty much, another brilliant engineering advance like PF30. I was really interested in a Devinci Atlas, but it has the same thing, integrated headset.
hard for me to understand the mentality of these two "quality" bike mfg's :crazy: and no doubt a bunch more...are then, an integral and integrated headset one in the same?

·
Registered
973 Posts
guess I should applaud Marin's decision to use ZS and BB30 :cool: thanks again for the insight...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts