Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with the cassette digging into the drive-hub? I have a set that is only 8 months old and started hearing a creaking noise under load, so I took the cassette off (hard to remove) and noticed that the drive hub had little dig marks on each spline. Thanks.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Aluminum freehub shells will do that, and not just on Kings, this is why they recommend cogs on a carrier or spider rather than loose cogs. There is an option for a steel shell that is more resistant, but heavier. Some find that it makes for harder removal of cogs/cassette but a little artful filing can take care of that...

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
Torquing the cassette lockring down tighter may eliminate the creak. I find it hard to know when it's tight enough. And i don't suppose a little anti-seize grease between the cassette and freehub would hurt anything, would it? (probably collect dirt though...maybe not such a great idea?) Like Bikinfool said, aluminum freehubs will get marked, but no big deal. The price to pay for lighter weight I guess. My Hadley hub is the same way, but no creak so far.

Jim

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
Marks on an aluminum drive shell are expected after prolong use. Consult the King website for the service manual. Over the last three years I have converted my King wheelsets to Stainless Drive Shells. I cross threaded an aluminum drive shell one time because I was in a hurry.....never again. Make sure you're a cassette that has a "spider" verse the cogs riveted together and make sure you torque the lock nut to 30 lb-ft according to my King lock ring.

·
Registered
219 Posts
HOG farmer said:
Has anyone had a problem with the cassette digging into the drive-hub? I have a set that is only 8 months old and started hearing a creaking noise under load, so I took the cassette off (hard to remove) and noticed that the drive hub had little dig marks on each spline. Thanks.
Here is a really cheap trick, that works!
-i done it many times with my Kings, -you take some normal clear tape, and
wrap it around, working it good into the splines, i do it putting the tape on from that side of the of drivehub that is facing away from the spokes, so you have a bit of tape sticking out, after you put on all the cogs, now it will get a bit harder to get the
cassette back on, but that is precise what will keep it sitting tight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.