Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
My new King rear hub is running very inconsistant. I have only 4 rides on it so far but when I free wheel it doesn't make the pleasent BZZZZZ noise unless I really push down hard on the pedals, or actually pedal backwards just a bit, at which point it will start buzzzzzing.

Is this anything you King'ers experienced while braking in your new hubs, or does this sound like a lurking problem?? :confused: BTW, the hub "feels" like it is working correctly.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
That would be normal. It's just something that happens as the break in. Mine did it for about the first two weeks, then got progressivly louder. Perfictly normal.

happy trails...

squish

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
PAINpusher said:
My new King rear hub is running very inconsistant. I have only 4 rides on it so far but when I free wheel it doesn't make the pleasent BZZZZZ noise unless I really push down hard on the pedals, or actually pedal backwards just a bit, at which point it will start buzzzzzing.

Is this anything you King'ers experienced while braking in your new hubs, or does this sound like a lurking problem?? :confused: BTW, the hub "feels" like it is working correctly.
Yeah what SSinga said. My King rear is about 6 months old and is just starting to "buzz". The sound iritates my wife. I just drop her so she doesn't have to listen to it. :p Ok, that was a joke, she actually drops me on some climbs. Per King's site, once the sound gets loud, you should re-lube with their own gear lube.

Also, King hubs typically have more drag on them than a loose ball bearing hub. This is normal, not the most efficient, but normal.

Enjoy the buzz. :cool:

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
I would go ahead and sell the King ASAP, and get a DT Swiss FR hub instead. No annoying buzz sound, and you don't have to adjust the bearings during breakin. :D

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
k1creeker said:
Yeah what SSinga said. My King rear is about 6 months old and is just starting to "buzz". The sound iritates my wife. I just drop her so she doesn't have to listen to it. :p Ok, that was a joke, she actually drops me on some climbs. Per King's site, once the sound gets loud, you should re-lube with their own gear lube.

Also, King hubs typically have more drag on them than a loose ball bearing hub. This is normal, not the most efficient, but normal.

Enjoy the buzz. :cool:
If you are getting the buzzing while climbing it is no wonder she is dropping you........ :D

·
Registered
667 Posts
My Kings had to be asdjusted about four times in a two month period before they settled in for good. In three years since, Id had to adjust them TWICE. And....on the trailside...quiucker than it takes to change a tube.

·
1,575 Posts
Had mine a year so far, adjusted them twice during the first month, been fine ever since. Through some fresh lube in the freehub here about two months ago and everything is still smooth and clean. Enjoy the buzz.

happy trails...

squish

·
1,575 Posts
Just like any other hub, push the wheel from side to side and feel for any play. You may also be able to feel through the frame as a kind of wierd flexy feeling.

Every hub will loosen up over time, don't care who makes it. It should really be part of your pre or post ride run through, just to make sure.

Hope this helps a bit.

happy trails...

squish

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.