Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
climber
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just checked my Chris King Classic rear hub and it has a wobble, again.

This will be the third time in less than a year I will have to repack the hub.
About 6 months ago I had a lbs in Santa Monica rebuild the hub. After they were finished I didn't have that satisfying killer sound of angry bees anymore. Didn't really think much of it back then. Not going back to that lbs.

A couple months after that I was on vacation in Branson Mo when I noticed the wobble again. A killer bike shop in Springfield (Cycles Unlimited) hooked me up with repacking the hub the same afternoon I brought it in. They told me the first shop didn't use the Chris King O ring lub. That's why there was on more killer bees sound. They also informed me that I should not use Simple green to clean the parts as the SG will break down the lub much faster.

So I have been dry cleaning my bike with a rag these days.

But now only after three months the wobble is there again.

I'm trying to figure out what to do. I am ready to buy the King tool to rebuild the hub myself. I do have another set of King hubs on my road bike so I figure it will be an investment.

But my question is, have I killed the rear hub? I don't know if this is common for this hub.

I usually ride singletrack with 2 to 3' drops and I weigh around 235 lbs when geared up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
381 Posts
are you talking about the entire rear hub wobbling on the axle, or the freehub being loose on the hub shell?

·
Registered
536 Posts
By no means have you ruined the rear hub. Even IF stuff is broken, CK offers replacement parts for everything in their hubs, so you can totally rebuild it.

Sounds like everything just needs to be tightened up. Go to King's website and watch some of the "how to" videos. Should take care of the problem. If you have a torque wrench that will help the entire situation greatly.

Also, the King hub tool is quite the investment, but is invaluable if you think you'll work on your hubs.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I do not own a CK hub, but several of my friends own them. I have noticed there are times when they must tighten the hubs with the CK tool. I do not think this is a re-packing the hubs issue. It is my impression that they come loose at times, and simply must be tightened. You might try to find the threads that are loosening, clean them, and then blue locktite afterwards.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Read the Book

In all probability your wobble can be cleared up with a minor preload adjustment that only requires the use of two 5mm allen wrenches, NOT the zillion dollar King hub tool. Read your owners manual or look on Kings website for info to guide you through. The only thing you'll ever need the high dollar King hub tool for is a hub rebuild that includes removing the cartridge bearings from either the hub shell or the freehub.

·
climber
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replys.

I'll check out the movies then try the 2 allen wrenches adjustment trick.
Nice to try the simple stuff first. I'll let you know how it goes.

Once again thanks for your time.

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Do you have the HD axle & fun bolts? If not, I highly suggest them!

I've had a king rear hub for many years, and with the old-school QR axle, I could never get it preloaded quite perfectly. It always either had issues with the free-hub dragging while coasting/backpedaling, or the hub was slightly loose, resulting in a flexy rear etc etc.

Last year I went to the HD axle... noticably stiffened up the rear end of my bike, plus I was able to pre-load the hub correctly. No more sloppy rear end, and no more free-hub drag. added bonus, there's hardly any weight difference.

·
climber
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK,

so I just tried to tighten the hub with the 2 allen wrenches and unfortunately that did not seem to work. I did loosen them, then tighten it down again and still seems to have the same looseness.

Now that I had a little time to think about it, I recall the guy that last repacked the hub asked if I had another set of bearing to replace the old ones. I didn't have the new bearings. And I was only in town for a few days and wound up not getting them then. His shop was out of stock. So he just repacked the hub and did the best he could.

But maybe this could be the problem? Old bearings.
The hub is about 8 years old and I am the second owner.
Does this sound like a bearing problem now? or is there something else I should try next?

FM.
I'll check out the HD axle and fun bolts after I fix this current problem.
Your website looks pretty cool also. The helmet cam looks great!

Thanks for help and knowledge everyone!

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
BlueDog03 said:
OK,

so I just tried to tighten the hub with the 2 allen wrenches and unfortunately that did not seem to work. I did loosen them, then tighten it down again and still seems to have the same looseness.

Now that I had a little time to think about it, I recall the guy that last repacked the hub asked if I had another set of bearing to replace the old ones. I didn't have the new bearings. And I was only in town for a few days and wound up not getting them then. His shop was out of stock. So he just repacked the hub and did the best he could.

But maybe this could be the problem? Old bearings.
The hub is about 8 years old and I am the second owner.
Does this sound like a bearing problem now? or is there something else I should try next?

FM.
I'll check out the HD axle and fun bolts after I fix this current problem.
Your website looks pretty cool also. The helmet cam looks great!

Thanks for help and knowledge everyone!
It's very difficult to see what you have going on there without actually seeing the wheel myself. After you broke the 5mm allen screws loose you screwed in the adjustment collar (that threads on the OD of the axle) snug and then tightened the two 5mm allens on either side and it still didn't help at all?

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
BlueDog03 said:
Opps,

Forgot to tighten the adjustment collar. That seems to have fixed it.
Wobble free.

Thanks for the help!
I've had to go back and forth with that adjustment a couple of times before I got it just where I wanted it. If you don't have it tight enough you will still feel play when you skewer the wheel back into the frame....too tight and the cassette will have too much drag when coasting/spinning in reverse.

Anyhoo, glad you got it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.