Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a rear ISO disc hub for about a month now and haven't touched it. I've been waiting for something to seem loose like i was told would happen ~10 hours after riding. i've put a lot more hours than that on it so far and nothing.

Is it normal for the pedals to slowly turn forward even when coasting? is this something that is supposed to be adjusted?

the hub is also really quiet compared to others i've heard. is this normal when new?

·
Now with 3 more inches!
1,463 Posts
Mine was like that. It took a while longer to loosen up. Maybe 30 hours? It would only make the "angry bee" noise coasting at high speed. Now it does it if I walk the bike. I'd also get the slack chain mentioned in another post here. That's gone too now. I got pretty neurotic and kept checking the preload after every ride, but now I just leave it alone.

I'd say just give it time, nd maybe check the preload after another 10 hours.

Matt

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tigerdog said:
Mine was like that. It took a while longer to loosen up. Maybe 30 hours? It would only make the "angry bee" noise coasting at high speed. Now it does it if I walk the bike. I'd also get the slack chain mentioned in another post here. That's gone too now. I got pretty neurotic and kept checking the preload after every ride, but now I just leave it alone.

Matt
I guess I'm mostly concerned about the hub loosening up on a 142mi race I'm doing in about 3 weeks. I don't really want to carry an extra tool so I can tighten it back up 80 miles in to the ride...

·
Registered
781 Posts
tigerdog said:

Matt
How can I find out if the hub is loose or not? Will there be some kind of play in the axle? Or should I just make the preload procedure even if everything seems to be tight

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pecka said:
How can I find out if the hub is loose or not? Will there be some kind of play in the axle? Or should I just make the preload procedure even if everything seems to be tight
I've put another at least 75 hours on the hub since posting this and i still haven't touched it. it's a bit louder but not terribly so.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Spookykinkajou said:
I've put another at least 75 hours on the hub since posting this and i still haven't touched it. it's a bit louder but not terribly so.
Hmm, maybe they made King Kong to tighten their hubs. But seriously it the hub is loose does it mean that there will be some play in the axle, or it's just that the preload on the bearings decreases? Can I find out that it's loose while riding? How problematic could be riding with loose hub (if I can't find out it's loose while on the bike)?
I know it's too many question and I will probably "feel it" when it comes but I'm bit scared that I may break my new hub.

thanks

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pecka said:
Hmm, maybe they made King Kong to tighten their hubs. But seriously it the hub is loose does it mean that there will be some play in the axle, or it's just that the preload on the bearings decreases? Can I find out that it's loose while riding? How problematic could be riding with loose hub (if I can't find out it's loose while on the bike)?
I know it's too many question and I will probably "feel it" when it comes but I'm bit scared that I may break my new hub.

thanks
Can't help ya there but if/when it does happen on mine I'll post. I've quit worrying about it and am just riding until something seems weird.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
It's pretty easy to tell when your CK hubs develop play. With your wheel in the frame/fork, hold the frame/fork steady and grab the rim (not the tire, easier to feel with the rim) and rock it side to side, if there's play you're due for adjustment. Usually after adjustment they need another slight adjustment after a bit of riding. If you're not developing play don't worry about that aspect.

The binding of the freehub mechanism causing forward rotating of your pedals can be due to too much preload or contamination. The basic service suggestions from CK should take care of this, but periodically you should have the major service performed too, particularly for the rear hub (requires the special CK hub tool).

You don't need special tools when out in the middle of nowhere, just two 5mm wrenches to break the hub apart and tighten it after adjustment; you can finger adjust the adjusting cone, although the cone adjusting tool can be nice (unless you have the 20mm front or heavy duty rear axles, then you need only the proper allen for the pinch bolt).

If you didn't get the owners manual for the hubs with the bike, go to the website and download it. Getting a supply of ring drive lube is a good idea, too. If you prefer to be self sufficient on mechanical issues I'd get the hub tool as well.

·
Whatever
585 Posts
Mine took months to loosen up

That was over 5 years ago. I have the old DiscoTech hubs with the adaptors. After 5 seasons they are still strong. They are built very tight and need a long break in period. They say 50 miles but I think it's more like 500.

I actually like the noise -- for night riding. Lets the critters know I'm there!

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Spookykinkajou said:
I guess I'm mostly concerned about the hub loosening up on a 142mi race I'm doing in about 3 weeks. I don't really want to carry an extra tool so I can tighten it back up 80 miles in to the ride...
You only need two 5mm allen wrenches. You only want to set the preload finger tight. The only time you would need the tool if the adjusting ring is stuck (not likely).

·
Registered
781 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
It's pretty easy to tell when your CK hubs develop play. With your wheel in the frame/fork, hold the frame/fork steady and grab the rim (not the tire, easier to feel with the rim) and rock it side to side, if there's play you're due for adjustment. Usually after adjustment they need another slight adjustment after a bit of riding. If you're not developing play don't worry about that aspect.

The binding of the freehub mechanism causing forward rotating of your pedals can be due to too much preload or contamination. The basic service suggestions from CK should take care of this, but periodically you should have the major service performed too, particularly for the rear hub (requires the special CK hub tool).

You don't need special tools when out in the middle of nowhere, just two 5mm wrenches to break the hub apart and tighten it after adjustment; you can finger adjust the adjusting cone, although the cone adjusting tool can be nice (unless you have the 20mm front or heavy duty rear axles, then you need only the proper allen for the pinch bolt).

If you didn't get the owners manual for the hubs with the bike, go to the website and download it. Getting a supply of ring drive lube is a good idea, too. If you prefer to be self sufficient on mechanical issues I'd get the hub tool as well.
Thanks, that was what I needed. I found out there was slight play so I made a preload adjustment.

As for the noise, this is nothing compared to my old Hugy - pedestrians jump off the trails scared when I was coasting. :p

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Glad it was helpful. I remember the first Hugis and how we always knew who had one on their bike, as almost all of us had fairly silent Shimanos...even my loudest CK doesn't make as much noise as those original Hugis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.