Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
There's an adapter to convert the zero stack headset to a regular one. Saw a thread about a Carbon NRS that had it, the owner said that it was heavy but allowed him to use a CK headset with no problems.

·
Registered
163 Posts
are you sure

I thought Giant used Internal headsets on the VT, which is entirely different and better than integrated. Chris King produces an internal option, but you are required to make some mods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chris King ?

I have never owned a Chris King headset and I 'm kinda new to the high end component market, so I am curious....what is so great about them that warrants $120 for one. Is it really more than 2x better than a $50 headset? Are they sealed better, smoother working, or last 3x as long or something?

I have a stock headset on my 04 NRS1 and I don't even think about it, which means it does its job perfectly. What would I notice if I switched to a King.

·
Registered
36 Posts
zurC atnaS said:
I thought Giant used Internal headsets on the VT, which is entirely different and better than integrated. Chris King produces an internal option, but you are required to make some mods.
The VT headsets are Semi-integrated A.K.A. Zero Stack A.K.A. internal headset. The European site correctly lists the headset as semi-integrated I'm using a Cane Creek Zero stack 2 headset. Went throught the same thing about a month ago when I bought a frame without a headset.

·
Registered
184 Posts
When you buy a frameset only you're supposed to get adapter cups to put in place of the internal cups to run a conventional headset. From what I've read here and other Chris King headset will be the last one you would ever need. Will outlast the frame and anything else.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Giant used to make adapters

When I bought a Giant DS-1 frame set back in 1999, it came with an adapter from Giant to use a conventional headset - Chris king

Back then, the frames were made to accept a ZS headset but the headset industry was still catching up to mass produced frames. So Giant initially anticipated using ZS on their pre-NRS DS-1 and DS-2 models but didn't have the headsets provided. So they sold adapters that fit into the head tube then the conventional headset fit into the adapter. I used it on th DS-1 and subsequently saved if to use on my NRS1 in 2001. A riding buddy of mine ordered one from Giant in 2003 for his NRS too. Not sure if they still make em but you might ask.

I recommend using a regular old ZS headset as spec'd for your frame. It was always unsettling the amount of aluminum 'scaped out' by those adapters. And there always seemed to be a creaking noise from both framesets when I used the adapters.

REEK

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
check a giant dealer.

synkronized23 said:
So where can I get the adapter to convert it to use a conventional headset? I want to transfer my Chris King over from my Fuel when I swap over all my parts.
tell them it's the one that's supposed to fit an aluminum NRS - 2001 is the one I had. It also fits my AC1 2003 model and my Mongoose Sommet 2001, and my Jamis XLT 2003.

REEK

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
synkronized23 said:
Is it any particular brand? Or is it generic Giant?

Poon
I understand you wanting to use your hyperexpensive CK on your new ride but a secret of the biking trade is that a correcly installed and maintained headset of any brand and almost any quality will outlast the frame unless you're doing North Shore type stunts.

Get an internal (ZS) headset from Cane Creek or FSA... try to find out a post about people complaining about defective ZS headsets on Giants... most don't even know which type of headset it is... that trouble free these headsets are. You never need to look into them, they are less exposed to dirt and mud, they make a solid connection despite what CK's marketing says about them.

As I said before, CK's comments on the ZS headsets are their pathetic response to a product standard they can't match. The CK's "Perdido" (and it's lost on the market, BTW) is supposed to be the CK's ZS version but it requires reaming the headtube (not a good idea) to accomodate the "new and better standard" CK proposes. All in all... pathethic from CK. They're better off making good standard headsets and stop beatching on other companies/standards.

The ZS or internal or semi-integrated standard is here and it works. I dare to say that they are less sensitive to tightening pressure than standard headsets but it's maybe only my opinion. They are less exposed to mud and dirt as I mentioned before and this is a must for any MTB component.

·
Combat Wombat
1,850 Posts
I have a 2003 VT-1.

Warp2003 said:
I understand you wanting to use your hyperexpensive CK on your new ride but a secret of the biking trade is that a correcly installed and maintained headset of any brand and almost any quality will outlast the frame unless you're doing North Shore type stunts.

Get an internal (ZS) headset from Cane Creek or FSA... try to find out a post about people complaining about defective ZS headsets on Giants... most don't even know which type of headset it is... that trouble free these headsets are. You never need to look into them, they are less exposed to dirt and mud, they make a solid connection despite what CK's marketing says about them.

As I said before, CK's comments on the ZS headsets are their pathetic response to a product standard they can't match. The CK's "Perdido" (and it's lost on the market, BTW) is supposed to be the CK's ZS version but it requires reaming the headtube (not a good idea) to accomodate the "new and better standard" CK proposes. All in all... pathethic from CK. They're better off making good standard headsets and stop beatching on other companies/standards.

The ZS or internal or semi-integrated standard is here and it works. I dare to say that they are less sensitive to tightening pressure than standard headsets but it's maybe only my opinion. They are less exposed to mud and dirt as I mentioned before and this is a must for any MTB component.
Immediately after I purchased the bike, I swapped out the stock Titec stem for an extra Thomson stem that I had picked up cheap somewhere. While apart, I examined the headset, removing the cartridge bearings and taking a good look at them. I was very impressed, they seemed solid and were definately well sealed. Much better than any other non-CK heaset that I have looked at. I have a CK on a GT Zaskar singlespeed and while I am big fan of CK, I would be hard pressed to believe that I could tell a difference between the stock FSA and a CK in function and durability.

Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.