Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some cursory searches, but have not found anyone who definitively states that they are running a Chris King bottom bracket with Surly Mr. Whrily cranks. Based on product description it seems possible, but if anyone could offer firsthand experience that would be great.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I have been running a silver 180mm Mr Whirly crankset with a red Chris King bottom bracket on my SIR9 since the bottom bracket first became available. No problems whatsoever, although I don't really like the plastic sleeves that go between the bearings and the crank - if you ever decide to swap cranks, the sleeves are hard to remove without damaging them.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
yup, there's a locating spacer that locates the axle ON the bearing surfaces (not between the bearings)

http://chrisking.com/bottombracket

that black ring at the very inside?
it's a plastic spacer, NOT the bearing race.
you can see how it protrudes past the bearings in the picture of the rootbeer coloured one, and the blue one?

I have one of these at home, trust me, it's plastic. :skep:

·
Registered
496 Posts
The Plastic sheath between the cups (inside the BB shell) is a dust cover. Not needed, but a good idea to keep things safe, helps keep moisture out of the BB shell. More important on steel frames. The plastic "spacers" that fit in the BB, then your spindle goes through is to help with the small differences in spindle diameter between brands and even models. I needed them when using RF cranks (but not the Evolve cranks,) and with Surlys, but with Shimano they were not needed. ALSO, KEEP THE THIN WHITE PLASTIC WASHERS!! They are needed when you service them with the king grease injection tool.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
According to the installation instructions, the plastic sleeve that I was referring to is called the "BB bearing spindle sleeve". The instructions do not mention anything about it being optional, however, they do mention a special tool you can buy to remove the sleeve. It's really only a problem if you want to swap out cranks.

http://chrisking.com/files/pdfs/BB Manual Website 11-08-A .pdf

·
Monkey Wrench
353 Posts
There are white "plastic" spacers which may be needed between the bearing and each arm depending on fit, but there is a black plastic "BB bearing spindle sleeve" as shown in the diagram which is absolutely necessary. We have yet to see any fail from our shop and we've been selling them actively since they came out. Beyond doing a little bit of sealing, it reduces the likelihood of damaging the bearings if you bent your crank spindle.

To the OP, it will definitely work with the Mr. Whirly (and all Shimano, RF, some FSA, and soon, with a different BB bearing spindle sleeve, Truvativ GXP!).

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
smann said:
I have done some cursory searches, but have not found anyone who definitively states that they are running a Chris King bottom bracket with Surly Mr. Whrily cranks. Based on product description it seems possible, but if anyone could offer firsthand experience that would be great.

Shoulda searched harder. :)

Morgan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.