Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Recently purchased a 08 Reign X1 and i want to change to a heavy duty wheelset. Just curious as to why the Chris king ISO hubs have received no reviews yet. Are these the hubs required or is it the classics? The front fork is Fox Van 36 with 20mm quick release thru axle, so i am guess i need the Chris King Front ISO 20mm hub. The rear has a LX hub laced to a Sun RhynoLite rim with quick release. On the back i would prefer if i could use a solid one piece axle with bolts, so i am guess once again that i need the Chris King Rear ISO Steel Hub with fun bolts in 135mm? Any help would be appreciated, these will probably be laced to the tried and true Mavic EX729 rims, but i am curious about the Mavic EX823 Tubeless rims too.
Regards
Bollocks

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Aspirevelotech had hardly a description at all, but a quick perusal of some of my other favorite sites weren't a heck of a lot more helpful let alone even mentioning the funbolt option. To the OP, yes you've got it right. I think when you ask for funbolts that is only via the heavy duty axle (at least my heavy duty hub, set up with quick release end caps, those caps come off and the fun bolts can go on).

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Nice, that is indeed cool the way you can order the steel/hd axle/fun bolt setup from them. I swear I couldn't see that detail when I tried the first time around. Ah, just again now I tried and see what you mean about drilling...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks adamcoop280, that was exactly what is was after. CK20 ISO front hub and 135mm Heavy Duty fun bolt rear. Does this site sell any rims? Otherwise i may purchase and find a custom wheel builder in Australia. Whats the preference for 32 or 36 hole hubs, much of a muchness.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Where in Oz are you?

I just built up a wheelset for for my wife - CK hubs, new Sun Equalizer 31 rims and blue ti spokes. As a freeride-toughness wheelset they still weigh in under 2kg for the pair.

Aspire don't, but I got my rims from http://www.outsideoutfitters.com -
Even with shipping costs, I still got the rims for under $70 aud each; they retail here for $117 each (and you can't get them in white here yet).

Usually I use chain reaction cycles, jenson or competitive cyclist - CRC have pretty reasonable build prices and offer free shipping over $600.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Curious about if you're planning on doing your own maintenance on those hubs? Local shop set up for it? If you're going to have everything shipped from the US it might be time to think about getting their hub tool since Aspirevelotech sells that too (altho that's a lot more than I paid for mine several years back from King). They do seem to have a great selection of everything King, very impressive. Just a thought, having heard what it costs for some bike stuff in Australia...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Location - Sydney.

I think i've used the chain reaction cycles custom wheel builder a hundred times checking combinations, the CK ISO/Heavy Duty Rear laced to Mavic EX729 is about 1200Aud with an SRAM casette. They seem pretty good and shipping would be free, probably purchase some other items as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Be careful as OS purchases (imports) over $1000 AUD attract customs duties, which is basically 10% of the purchase price + shipping, + another 5% on top of that.

I usually separate the orders out to get them as close to $600 as possible - i.e.
get the front wheel + the cassette + a pair of socks (to get you up to that $600 threshold) in one order, and the rear wheel in a second order.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
adamcoop280, once again, thanks, your a wealth a knowledge. If i order from Chain Reaction i'll split the order. Is it difficult to mount the casette or is it a piece of piss. Any special tools required?
And yes i'll purchase the hub tool, no use spending that kind of money if you don't maintain them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Piece of piss to mount the cassette, though you will need a large adjustable spanner and a cassette lock-ring tool, like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7213

Just put a bit of bike grease (lithium, teflon) on the freehub body before putting the cassette on.

To get the cassette off again you'll need a chain-whip - this holds the cassette in place while you unscrew the lock-ring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.