Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
CK will sell you new outer hub shells suitable for use with disc. You can use your existing axles & rear ringdrive which are the most expensive parts of the hub. The shells are relatively cheap. But it does require disassembly of your existing wheels then reassembly (including spoke lacing, etc.) of the new wheels.
If I'm not mistaken, CK will sell you the shells directly at a fair price.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
CK will sell you new outer hub shells suitable for use with disc. You can use your existing axles & rear ringdrive which are the most expensive parts of the hub. The shells are relatively cheap. But it does require disassembly of your existing wheels then reassembly (including spoke lacing, etc.) of the new wheels.
If I'm not mistaken, CK will sell you the shells directly at a fair price.
Yep, if you have access to the tool to completely take the hubs apart they will sell you the new shells plus new front axle (disc hub axle is different). If you don't have acccess to the tool you send in the old hubs and they rebuild them for you. They will also return all the old pieces. I've done 2 sets of hubs, it's a good deal.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
that was just for the hub shells and redoing the bearings and such. The hubs seem to roll much better/faster now than they ever did. I'm glad I did it, cuz these hubs rock. They were purchased in 1998 and were red. Now they are black and no doubt seem like they will last another seven years.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
switchblade said:
How do I convert reg CK hubs to disc?
I rebuilt my CK Classic rear hub with a new disc-hub shell a couple years ago and couldnt be happier. $47 from Chris King.

I borrowed the tools from a bike shop I'm in good with. I'm not suree what the cost is for the front, but for the rear it seems like a good way to go.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
New price.....

Cost is now $89 for the new shell and $25 labor to replace it. I think the first principles is the way for me. Yea, Yea, I know Chris King and all that Cr_p, but in the end it is still just a chunk of aluminum.

My neighbor used to have a Porsche Carrera Turbo, washed the damn thing about 3x a week and ONLY drove it on sundays. I had a BMW Turbo Alpina and drove the hell out of it. Took it on lots of cross country jaunts. Guess who got the most smiles per mile??

I hate when people buy things because it is chic or expensive, and use it less than the cheap stuff. Me....it's the opposite.

Later Mon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.