Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Sounds like this......

wheelie_lv said:
Could someone provide audio (or video) file how the Chris King Classic Rear hub sounds??

If someone can, more than one..

Thants a lot!
no need for audio....

sounds like this..... Wizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
very distinctive sound...sounds like speed!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've got a friend that has Kings. Before I knew the deal, I honestly thought something was wrong with his hubs. I know it's just a matter of preference but I never really cared for the sound. Maybe it is something I could grow accustomed to but initially, I know that it would bug me.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
CK sounds like a bee, Hadleys like a gattling gun, I hardly ever notice the sound of my CK now, but instant engagement keeps me happy when I need the crank to rotate ASAP..

Qoute CK
All of our rear hubs utilize our patented RingDrive engagement mechanism. RingDrive uses 72 engagement teeth on each drive ring. That means the hub engages over 3 times quicker than the standard 24 tooth pawl-type freehub. Trying to get started again in the middle of a steep uphill section? Going for the surprise jump to drop your buddies? This unique design offers instant and positive engagement that's capable of handling a torque load of over 800ft/lbs, or over three times more than most other high end hubs we've tested. It is the heart of our hub and all rest is built around it.
http://www.chrisking.com/hubs/hbs_index.html

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
The sound of a King hub reminds me of a fishing reel taking off with a fish on the hook. I'm not into fishing m'self but I've flipped on Babe Winklemans show a few times...only to doze off and be awakened by what sounded like my hub coasting.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Mine still sound the same - 3 1/2 years later and thousands and thousands of miles later ;)

Not one other (or a pair, in this case, of hubs) has come anywhere near the CK ISO's I have in terms of durability. The rims & spokes the hubs were originally on are long gone, as is the bike and all the other parts that were on it. Think about it.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
brado1 said:
no need for audio....

sounds like this..... Wizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
very distinctive sound...sounds like speed!
Hey! I think my King hub is defective. It sounds like this....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm missing the "W". I'm gonna call King and ask them to ship it to me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
wow - serious spam/bump

Funny this thread pops up, for whatever reason - as just today I noted to a good friend, while out for a ride, that my CK hubs are approaching their 10th anniversary. That makes this more than 6 years since I last posted on this thread... which seems nuts! Different home, different job, different life - and different bike, aside from those hubs.

Cool.

·
Registered
626 Posts
They sound like A$$$$$. I don't know why you would want to ruin a good ride with some noisy ass hubs...CK, Hope's, I9 etc. I think their sound is overkill, some like it some don't.

DT swiss, Mavic, Hadley...all nice hubs/wheels that don't eff up the sounds of the trail beneath your tires, that's what I want to hear...

End opinion....02.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
They sound like A$$$$$. I don't know why you would want to ruin a good ride with some noisy ass hubs...CK, Hope's, I9 etc. I think their sound is overkill, some like it some don't.

DT swiss, Mavic, Hadley...all nice hubs/wheels that don't eff up the sounds of the trail beneath your tires, that's what I want to hear...

End opinion....02.

Have a nice day.
Yes indeed, like everything in life there are things that some people like, and others do not. As noted above, when pedaling, they don't make a sound.
:yawn:

·
There's always next year.
877 Posts
I know its a super old thread, but since its brought back to life... I think its still available from iTunes as a ringtone file. Just did a search for it... looks to be gone. Sad, as I have it as my default ring on my iPhone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.