Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Be happy......go riding
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a lightly used wheelset with CK hubs. I'm somewhat ignorant to all the mechanics of these hubs. I've heard about the buzz and drag effect that these hubs have, but I don't understand why that's so. Can anyone simply explain why these highly touted hubs have this noise and drag? Will it go away in time? :confused:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The buzz (I call it a whine) is because of the ratchet mechanism and its high number of engagement points. It does not go away.

The drag is the bearing seals. It will get better but not completely free.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Trailmix said:
...the buzz and drag...

Will it go away in time? :confused:
After about 5 or 6 years, the instantaneous engagement noise and impervious seals start to fade. Or maybe I just don't think about it anymore. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Homebrew said:
After about 5 or 6 years, the instantaneous engagement noise and impervious seals start to fade. Or maybe I just don't think about it anymore. :rolleyes:
I just tell my friends to keep pedaling so we can talk. :D

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
I enjoy the Buzz. It's only audible when coasting which I try not to do too often.
Hadley rear hubs make a similar noise. In fact, most of the Hadleys I've heard are louder than Kings. Maybe due to the even higher number of engagemenet points on the Hadleys.

It's the sound of quality.

·
Be happy......go riding
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I bought these CK hubs because of all the good reviews on them. It's sounds like the top two hubs on the market are the CKs and the Hadleys. Originally I had considered buying a wheelset with Hadley hubs......apparently less drag, but since I was deterimined to buy a used wheelset, CK won out because of the greater availability. Now I'm glad to hear that the CKs maybe a little bit quieter than the Hadleys. My buyers remorse is dimimishing a little bit. I'm so used to silently gliding through the forest with non-existent drag, so once I took the rear CK wheel out of the box and spun it, I had these unpleasant images of now having to grind through the trails, trying to overcome the drag, while scaring off whatever wildlife might be in the area because of the buzzing-clacking noise. :(
I guess the pros out weigh the cons on these quailty hubs, and I should just figure that there will be an adjustment curve that I'll have to go through to get used to these hubs. I forget that if I don't like these hubs I can always sell them and just get some XTs.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Trailmix said:
I forget that if I don't like these hubs I can always sell them and just get some XTs.
If you decide to ditch the CKs for XTs be sure to contact me first. I'll suffer through the buzz and take that bullet for ya.

·
Be happy......go riding
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
If you decide to ditch the CKs for XTs be sure to contact me first. I'll suffer through the buzz and take that bullet for ya.
Thanks Squeak, for your self sacrificing offer on my behalf. You're much too kind!

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
I like the buzz. It makes a great mental game when group riding. I like to come up behind others in the group and stop pedaling so that can can hear that I am coasting:p Maybe I need a set of the louder Hadleys! Anyone what to buy a CK wheelset?

·
Registered
65 Posts
King uses a think grease in there hubs. This will cause them to drag, so take them apart, clean all the grease out and rebuild and relube with Tri-Flow. Several people on our team have done that, when I did it to mine it was like a totally new set of wheels!! I have put on 1000+ miles since then with out any problems.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mudrider said:
King uses a think grease in there hubs. This will cause them to drag, so take them apart, clean all the grease out and rebuild and relube with Tri-Flow. Several people on our team have done that, when I did it to mine it was like a totally new set of wheels!! I have put on 1000+ miles since then with out any problems.
^^^NOT a good idea!^^^

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
My King rear hub started rolling very well after only a month or two of riding. Now if you flip the bike upside down and give it some hand-pedals, it sits there humming along for quite a while.

Not as long as my brand-new Hadley SS hub, but still...

I don't think the drag is really an issue. The grease/internals break in a little, and then it's fine.

-rob

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
mudrider said:
Be sure to report back when the ring drive mechanisms fail. It's just a matter of time.

A few drops of tri-flow can be added, and is recommended by Chris King, for riding in freezing temps. But your friends are sitting on time bombs if they completely removed the King Ringdrive lube.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Be sure to report back when the ring drive mechanisms fail. It's just a matter of time.

A few drops of tri-flow can be added, and is recommended by Chris King, for riding in freezing temps. But your friends are sitting on time bombs if they completely removed the King Ringdrive lube.
I think he meant in the bearings but still, I don't think TriFlow is enough for that either unless you're relubing weekly (like a chain). I've been using Slick Honey.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Homebrew said:
I think he meant in the bearings but still, I don't think TriFlow is enough for that either unless you're relubing weekly (like a chain). I've been using Slick Honey.
Any decent grease can be used on the bearings. I use either the King lube or Phil Wood grease because it's what I have.
But Tri-Flow isn't grease. Time Bomb................

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
I did notice drag initially for maybe a month of riding, but since then they roll quite smoothly. The buzz is not something that I key in on anymore, either. I really only notice it on other's bikes if they ride by.

The Hadley's however sound just like rattlesnakes. Freaks me out! Best to keep those for winter riding.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
King hubs have priced me out of the market

I could hang with $500 King wheelsets but once they topped $600 I bowed out. Too expensive. Nonetheless, they are the best built hub on the planet--if you can handle the noise. I did blow my old rear one up from lack of maintenance but King covered me.

The drag will calm down once you ride it for a while. It may also need an adjustment. Great wheelset. Be happy.

Jaybo

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Mine had bad drag for over a year.

rpet said:
My King rear hub started rolling very well after only a month or two of riding. Now if you flip the bike upside down and give it some hand-pedals, it sits there humming along for quite a while.

Not as long as my brand-new Hadley SS hub, but still...

I don't think the drag is really an issue. The grease/internals break in a little, and then it's fine.

-rob
Adjusted them many times (bearings constantly loosened up), and in winter I was constantly dropping my chain when I backpedeled.

I finally just sold them. I probably put 1500 miles on them before giving up.

I got used to the noise and actually began to like it.

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ring Drive Grease

Use the Chris King Ring Drive Grease in the Bearings. Remove the seals and flush out with WD-40 (or similiar), dry and relube with the Ring Drive Grease. This will eliminate most of the seal drag. Mine spin just as well as a well maintained set of LX hubs with cup and cones.

I once used Tri Flo Grease and a few drops of Tri Flow oil in the King Bearings, which is a pretty slippery combo. The drag was very heavy compared to using the Ring Drive Grease.

One little bottle will last for years. It is extremely low shear stuff and will end the seal drag problem. Last time I checked Excel sells it for $8.

cheers,
Joe

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
MightySchmoePong said:
Adjusted them many times (bearings constantly loosened up), and in winter I was constantly dropping my chain when I backpedeled.

I finally just sold them. I probably put 1500 miles on them before giving up.

I got used to the noise and actually began to like it.

Dave
did you ever open the snap rings and ensure that an o-ring wasn't getting pinched or that the grease wasn't dry?

I've owned 4 sets of CK hubs and they've all been silky smooth after a few hundred miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts