Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Sorry on the Truvativ, but you're okay with RaceFace and FSA...

Don't need a bb for a while...gonna try Phil Wood bearings (already waiting) or Enduro in my existing Shimano cups first.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I probably don't need to say it, but it's a good idea on any component to make sure it works with your gear before you buy it...I'm not sure of the specific reason that SRAM/Truvativ uses a different standard or what the exact difference is (think I read it's in the spindle dimensions but not sure at all). Google for it, you should get the incompatibility bit easily, the specific reason may take some more digging.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I probably don't need to say it, but it's a good idea on any component to make sure it works with your gear before you buy it...I'm not sure of the specific reason that SRAM/Truvativ uses a different standard or what the exact difference is (think I read it's in the spindle dimensions but not sure at all). Google for it, you should get the incompatibility bit easily, the specific reason may take some more digging.
Tru-Vativ/SRAM has a step down on the spindle so on their BB's the ID on the bearings are different. It's actually a better system because unlike the Shimano set up tigtening the crank onto the spindle doesn't pre-load the bearing which is why Shimano style BB's tend to have premature bearing failure, preloading the bearing too much. I believe someone makes a sleeve that alows the use of Shimano style BB's with SRAM/Tru-vativ cranks.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Rivet said:
Tru-Vativ/SRAM has a step down on the spindle so on their BB's the ID on the bearings are different. It's actually a better system because unlike the Shimano set up tigtening the crank onto the spindle doesn't pre-load the bearing which is why Shimano style BB's tend to have premature bearing failure, preloading the bearing too much. I believe someone makes a sleeve that alows the use of Shimano style BB's with SRAM/Tru-vativ cranks.
Tightening the left crank onto the spindle doesn't preload the bearing on my Shimano XT cranks...believe most problems with external bb's in general have been due to other reasons like improper use of spacers, shells out of spec, excessive preloading (the way it's actually done) etc, but I haven't had any problems myself in any case. I've had problems with Truvativ cranks on demo bikes my operation rented out, and don't have much good to say about them at all. YMMV.

·
Registered
123 Posts
got one

and it's just as sweet as you would expect from CK. It looks just like their headset with threads and notches. Comes with a couple of spacers. I'm using it with XTR crankset and it's super smooth and solid feeling. Best of all, it's easily serviceable.

Kind of spendy at $130, but I look at it this way, it's probably the last BB I'll buy. I would typically have to replace my XT/Ultegra BB every 6 months, so within two years the CK will pay for itself.

my 2 cents...

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
goatboy001 said:
and it's just as sweet as you would expect from CK. It looks just like their headset with threads and notches. Comes with a couple of spacers. I'm using it with XTR crankset and it's super smooth and solid feeling. Best of all, it's easily serviceable.

Kind of spendy at $130, but I look at it this way, it's probably the last BB I'll buy. I would typically have to replace my XT/Ultegra BB every 6 months, so within two years the CK will pay for itself.

my 2 cents...
I used to think that way. "Oh, this will be the only one of these I ever have to buy.."

But then I realized virtually all of the parts on my bike have been purchased within the last few years and that I almost never ride stuff until it is just no longer usable. Typically I upgrade because there's a new standard, or there's something I've convinced myself I have to have. I just don't forsee a 130 dollar bottom bracket to have THAT much of an advantage. You can buy entire cranksets WITH bottom brackets for that much. Or replace your BB like 5 times with something of decent quality by Shimano, RF, Truvativ, etc. I'm not hating on your bling, though.. it's your money and you can do with it as you will :p

·
Registered
123 Posts
Jim311 said:
I used to think that way. "Oh, this will be the only one of these I ever have to buy.."

But then I realized virtually all of the parts on my bike have been purchased within the last few years and that I almost never ride stuff until it is just no longer usable. Typically I upgrade because there's a new standard, or there's something I've convinced myself I have to have. I just don't forsee a 130 dollar bottom bracket to have THAT much of an advantage. You can buy entire cranksets WITH bottom brackets for that much. Or replace your BB like 5 times with something of decent quality by Shimano, RF, Truvativ, etc. I'm not hating on your bling, though.. it's your money and you can do with it as you will :p
I think that's true for most mtb parts. But consider this, I've been running a CK headset for 10 years and CK hubs for 6 years. I figure I can expect the BB to have the same longevity record. These are not parts that ever get to that "no longer useable" state unless you completely neglect them. Whether there is a small performance advantage to the CK BB I don't really know, and I didn't but it for "bling". I use the CK stuff because I never have issues, they are completely user serviceable, and they seemingly last forever. Two years from now I'll be greasing my CK instead of forking out cash for a 5th Shimano BB, some packaging, and either paying shipping or driving my car to go get it. And CK is an amazing company both engineering and eco wise, and their customer service is second to none if and when you need it.

I think the all of this far out weighs the initial sting of the price tag.

·
plasma donor
754 Posts
goatboy001 said:
I think that's true for most mtb parts. But consider this, I've been running a CK headset for 10 years and CK hubs for 6 years. I figure I can expect the BB to have the same longevity record. These are not parts that ever get to that "no longer useable" state unless you completely neglect them. Whether there is a small performance advantage to the CK BB I don't really know, and I didn't but it for "bling". I use the CK stuff because I never have issues, they are completely user serviceable, and they seemingly last forever. Two years from now I'll be greasing my CK instead of forking out cash for a 5th Shimano BB, some packaging, and either paying shipping or driving my car to go get it. And CK is an amazing company both engineering and eco wise, and their customer service is second to none if and when you need it.

I think the all of this far out weighs the initial sting of the price tag.
lol I've been riding the same cheap Shimano square taper BB and Sugino XD crankset for over 10 years now. It's withstood my abuse with me weighing as much as 250lbs. Not taking anything away from CK quality and service, they ARE at the top in both areas. But you don't have to go for CK to get stuff that lasts.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Barkleyfan said:
lol I've been riding the same cheap Shimano square taper BB and Sugino XD crankset for over 10 years now. It's withstood my abuse with me weighing as much as 250lbs. Not taking anything away from CK quality and service, they ARE at the top in both areas. But you don't have to go for CK to get stuff that lasts.
Agreed, I bet even pros don't go through 5 bottom brackets in 2 years :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
wow

Jim311 said:
Agreed, I bet even pros don't go through 5 bottom brackets in 2 years :)
jeepers, who knew I was gonna get the guys who's bb's last forever with my CK praise? Maybe you guys need to start riding a little harder...

All kidding aside, I live the pacific north west. And yes, it rains a LOT here. Mud is a way of life. And with in the last 5 years, jumps and drops have become the norm. So my bb's take a lot of abuse. Maybe that's why I can't get a shimano to last me more than 6 months.

And I would venture to bet that pro's get a new bb every race, complete with low viscosity lube for low rolling resistance.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,898 Posts
I know the Shimano bb says "do not disassemble", but if you do, you'll find its quite easy and the bearings are really cheap. My Shimano Saint cranks have taken 2 years of abuse, days at Keystone, Sol Vista, shuttling, trail riding, and they're still going strong. CK stuff is pretty, and a rear hub is tempting... 72 pt star ratchet mmmmm.... but the headsets (and now bbs) are jewlery.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To let you all know..I took back the CK BB I bought to my LBS...it would not work with the Truvatives, after talking to numerous shops and people. It will work with Shimano and RaceFace...so if you have those cranks, then your good to go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.