Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if any Denver/Aurora bike shops carry Chris King replacement bearings? I fouled up the non-drive side bearing on my rear hub doing an overhaul. It was my first try doing a full disassembly and accidentally removed the inner bearing race when popping out the bearings. Oh well, won't be making that mistake again. Thanks!
-jon

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scottay5150 said:
You should call CK and have them ship you new bearings. Were you using the hub tool?

Scott
I'd like to ride this weekend so I'm trying to pick up the bearing local. I did use the hub tool, just didn't tighten the expanding washer thing enough and it ended up popping out the inner race of the bearing instead of the whole bearing. Stupid 40 dollar mistake. Oh well, live and learn I suppose. Didn't make that mistake on the drive side. Wheatridge cyclery says they have one in stock so I'll probably head over there tomorrow.
-Jon

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Scottay,
King bearings are made so you can remove the inner race. Infact, there's been guys replaceing the steel balls w/ ceramic ones going full pack instead of using the retainers to reduce the drag. I have no report if this works but I've tried to disassemble one my self and the disassembly is pretty easy works quite well.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pau11y said:
Scottay,
King bearings are made so you can remove the inner race. Infact, there's been guys replaceing the steel balls w/ ceramic ones going full pack instead of using the retainers to reduce the drag. I have no report if this works but I've tried to disassemble one my self and the disassembly is pretty easy works quite well.
I realized after I got home with the new bearing that when I had tried to pop the inner race of the old bearing back it, it had pinched the seal which caused a lot of drag. I assumed I had fouled the bearing when I should have removed the snap ring and seal and then re-evaluated. Oh well, live and learn. Freaking 40 dollar mistake. Expensive little bastards. :D
-jon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.