Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've broken several bones while riding, lacerated my liver, and I have a cervical fusion from riding as well. All of these injuries were spaced apart, and yet each seemed like a huge setback at the time.

I know this is an MTB forum and maybe some people don't follow road cycling. Chris Froome, four time winner of the Tour de France and reportedly in great shape for a fifth next month, hit a wall at 34 MPH last week while preparing for a time trial. He took a hand off the bars of his time trial bike to blow his nose, and a gust of wind blew him out of control. The team car behind him and other riders around him say he did not have time to hit the brakes before he slammed a stone wall.

Apparently there was an ambulance right there to begin working on him immediately. The actually worked on him in the ambulance for over 90 minutes before they moved him. That seemed kind of odd, but now details are coming out about just how seriously he was hurt.

The inventory is crazy:

- Shattered femur that tore so many blood vessels and did so much tissue damage that he lost over four pints of blood(!)
- Broken pelvis
- Broken hip
- Broken elbow
- Every rib on his right side was broken
- Broken sternum
- Broken C7 neck vertebrae

Despite all of this, the doctors are saying he could be riding again in six months.

I can't imagine.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chr...h-additional-sternum-and-vertebrae-fractures/

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,772 Posts
Yeah it is horrifying that even the best of the best can crash like that.

On the 90 minutes, I just did a cpr/first aid class and the teacher was addressing that.
He said that a lot of ambulances are like a mobile er so it makes sense that they take care of the most urgent issues on site before moving him.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sad to see anyone crash like this---but then again he took his hands off the bars twice at 65kph (about 40 mph) after his riding partner told him there is no reason to take a risk in a route reviewing ride (was not on a timed stage) and the second time did not work out---I hope he recovers fully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.