Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just did my first 12 hour race on Saturday (women's solo), and I have a question about fuel-intake.

A little background: Friday night, after I set up camp, I prepped my food for the race. My guy friends laughed at the fact that I had 5 Hammer Gel bottles filled and lined in a row. They thought that would be waaaay too much food for 12 hours. Incidentally, these are guys that finish the Cascade Cream Puff 100, so I took their ribbing kinda semi-seriously... I mean, they should know about endurance events) But I left the bottles as they were... "just in case".)

As it turns out, I DID consume:

*All 5 bottles (a total of 2500 calories)

PLUS:

*1 large jug of Gatorade (forgot to look at the label, but I can't even imagine how many cals)
*1 luna bar (what, about 180 cals maybe?)
*1 bottle of Ensure (230+/- cal, w/ a bit of protein. This didn't set in the belly very well on lap 7.)
*Approx 30oz. of Gu-2-O
*1 small pack of some fruit chews like you put in kids' lunches.

Here's my concern: That's a total of WELL over 3000 calories. I'm 125 pounds, 5'7". Do those cals seem excessive? Any athletic nutritionists out there reading this? How can I need more fuel than my bigger, muscle-laden, male compatriots? I was blown away by how much fuel I needed to keep me going.

BTW, the course was a 10.5 mile loop starting at 5100' elevation (Willamette Pass, OR). 1000' elevation gain per loop. First half you climb, the second half you descend -- that type of thing. Super fun. The loop itself wasn't hard. Riding 9 laps of it... well, that was.

Thanks for your sides of the story (in advance). Sorry, if this has already been discussed lately; I haven't lurked for awhile.

-C

·
Registered
408 Posts
calorie consumption

First of all, congrats on the race, and congrats on being organized about having your fuel prepped & ready to go.

to get to the point -
Suppose you did 3000 calories - that's 250/hour. maybe you did 4000, still a reasonable 333/hour. You are not at all out of line with those numbers. You can process more although generally the rule of thumb is that 250-280/hour is safe, and I have heard of ironman athletes putting away in excess of 400/hour, but that probably takes some focused training of your digestive system. I have a couple of articles related to this on my site -

www.ride424.com

and there are several sources referenced there for more info.

cheers
Karl

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm no espert but i'm with kretzel. sounds like you did a great job keeping yourself fueled. i try to be in the 300/400 per hour range
the biggest question is how did you feel?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kretzel said:
First of all, congrats on the race, and congrats on being organized about having your fuel prepped & ready to go.

Thanks very much Karl. It was a good ride - a good taste of the ultra thing. I'm still processing the experience and stowing info away that might be useful for next year... I'd like to try the Cream Puff.

Anyway, those were good articles. It is reassuring to know my my caloric needs are WNL (within normal limits). I guess what I've always suspected is true: I'm fine; it is my friends that are not normal. I've got the data to prove it. :)

Something else I learned: seems I may have gone a little overboard with the water. I did experience very light cramps on my 5th and 6th laps, and then more severe ones on the 7th (I really had to rein in my efforts to keep them at bay). I was taking E-caps every hour, but I had a river flowing through me, 70 oz every 2 laps. I noticed I didn't want nearly as much water later in the race... I kept drinking, but I went with what my body told me and scaled back. Whah-lah: no cramps on laps 8 and 9. Just kinda tired.

Gee, maybe I'll try that, uh... what do you call it? Um... I think the word is training. Yeah, that's it! I read something about that. Think I'll try that next time. Har har...

Good luck to you in yours.
-Christa

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the toninator said:
I'm no espert but i'm with kretzel. sounds like you did a great job keeping yourself fueled. i try to be in the 300/400 per hour range
the biggest question is how did you feel?
I felt great on the most part. I went in with no pressure. No training under my belt (other than maybe a little leftover fitness from waaaaay earlier this year), no agenda other than to just keep riding. My plan was simple: use the pit at the start finish frequently, but briefly (5 minutes or less at each stop); other than that just keep rolling.

It was a festival atmosphere; many of my friends were riding as teams, so there was lotsa familiar faces at the pit encouraging me. That always helps. Good weather, bike behaved, the course was ripping and beautiful. 2nd place in women's open was a little icing on the cake.

Ya know, I was a bit achey though. My foot got sore, my hands were a little raw, a bit of cramping, and a VERY sore as*. Nothing I didn't expect though. Probably could have mustered another lap or two. Definately not ready for a 24 (yet).

-Christa

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sweet congratulations! Yea at 12 hours solo without pit help your best is to KISS (keep it simple dummy:) ) having everything laid out and ready is a great strategy to keep your butt on the bike and out of the pit. Whether riding or not the clock is ticking.

The articles were good but for some reason I wana go out and buy a case of HG(tm) probably drink to much fluid at times also but it's REALLY hot down here during the summers, Houston. I did back to back 50's off road a couple of weeks ago where the humidity was about 90% and the ambient air temp around 95 and the heat index well into the 100's. When I go someplace where it’s cool and not humid I have to remember to adjust, athough dry air can be deceiving.

·
That Waters Guy
611 Posts
Number of calories burned in 9 laps

Wreckless said:
Hi. I just did my first 12 hour race on Saturday (women's solo), [...] 9 laps [...]Here's my concern: That's a total of WELL over 3000 calories. I'm 125 pounds, 5'7". Do those cals seem excessive? [...]
No, not at all, even though I'm not the athletic nutritionist you requested.

One set of commonly used numbers uses running at a 7 minute mile as "very strenuous", and a 9 minute mile as "Strenuous", with calories burned per hour for men/women at 920 / 740 for "very strenuous" and 730/580 for "very strenuous". If I do the math right, that's 5.25 calories / pound - hour at "very strenuous" and 4.14 calories / pound-hour for "strenuous".

So the math works out for you to have burned between 6,200 and almost 8,000 calories.

While this seems high to me, it's not completely inconsistent with what I've seen in print for nutrition intake for world-class road bikers training for things like the TdF, and 90 miles and 10k vertical would be a heavy training day for any of them.

So if even the low number is right, you would have only burned a little less than a pound of fat during the day, which seems perfectly believable, no?

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=10289
http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/hb/hbfitnes.htm

BTW, here's a trifuel (not recommending them, I don't know them from Shinola) that even for guys recommends 200-400 calories per hour:

http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/nutrition/000489.php

My only other personal experience to add is that if I get the right balance of protein mixed in with my carbs (and this is a little protein, not a lot) then I don't need to eat so many carbs.

Rolland

ps. That was one heck of a lot of laps! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Yes, your friends are not normal :) Do you think you could stay up late swilling beer then turn in 45 minute laps? I know I couldn't.

Partly it's because they are trained to go long distances without breaks so their bodies are adapted to that. Do what works for you.

I was over-hydrated on Saturday (sitting for an hour between laps and drinking Gu2O and water) and ended up taking a number of nature breaks...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The Sagebrush Slug said:
No, not at all, even though I'm not the athletic nutritionist you requested.

Well, it was sage advice nonetheless.

Thanks for the info. Sorry about your bike woes (I read your 12-hr report). Yer right, a 22-pounder would help. Tell ya what... we'll compromise: I'll sell you my 27 pound double boinger and you give it another go next year at Willamette Pass. :D

Race fee? Cheap.

Bike fee? Cheap.

Feeling of doing 9 or 12 laps at 6000'? Dizzy. Quite dizzy.

-Christa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts