Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to plunk down some coin for a new frame and am narrowing down who to buy from. I'm leaning towards buying from a reputable local shop. The online price is the same as the LBS's but the sales tax (6.25%) is going to come out to an extra $100. Is it wrong to ask the LBS to take off this amount because I'm buying from them? Should I push my luck even more to ask for other extras?

Most online dealers offer free shipping on frames and no sales tax. I was going to throw that out there when buying.

Is this a d!ck thing to ask for or should an LBS these days be willing to be more flexible because of online competition?

Opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes... I would not expect them to knock another % off due to sales tax. They might, but personally I think it would be rude to ask. Unless they aren't marking the frame down a bunch.

I ran into a similar scenario when I ordered my one9 frame. Retails for 850, lowest online price was 700... I asked them to match and they did. I went local because I wanted to create a relationship with the shop.

If the etailer is going to charge you for shipping as well it is pretty much a wash anyway. Otherwise I would just pay the taxes. It is a fair tradeoff IMO.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'll be curios to read others' response to this as well.

IMO, the LBS is running you a pretty good deal. For that extra $100 you're likely to get a free 60 day tune-up plus maybe a water bottle or free pair of socks. Plus, I'd be willing to bet, for about the first year, you'll be able to walk in and have them look at X, Y, or Z for free as long as it's minor. You'll also have a place to go to for any warranty claims or - god forbid - you have to make a return for sizing issues.

The sales tax may be offset by the shipping charges for online purchase.

My LBS is also offering a points system were I earn a point for every dollar I spend. I bought a $2300 bike there last year and got a voucher for $230 at the end of the year. I can use that on anything in the store - even shop time. Excellent deal if you ask me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.