Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another vacationer here...

My wife and I are going to take a trip from Boise to Creswell (Eugene) in late may. The trip will be about a week long and we will be going south along the umpqua to creswell and then north via mckenzie on the way home.

My wife biking skills are horrible... I want to get in nice, easy ride in with her sometime during the trip... however I have a "free day" I can go play on 1 trail around the Eugene area... Which leads to two questions:

1. If you were in Eugene, and only had one day to ride, where would you go?
McKenzie? Brice Creek? some other trail?

2. Knowing the route we are driving... where can I go with my wife on a easy "basic" mtb ride that she will love and not kill me for "dragging her over the bumps"?

3. Hmm.. one more question.. are there any more "must-do" trails along that route?

Thanks from Idaho!

Adam

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
adso said:

2. Knowing the route we are driving... where can I go with my wife on a easy "basic" mtb ride that she will love and not kill me for "dragging her over the bumps"?
1 - McKenzie. I mean it's a no-brainer. Epic scenery, flow, you name it. As a close second I'd pick the Apine Trail near Oakridge. They're very different; McKenzie is up and down but overall flat; Alpine is a long, long climb followed by an endless descent. McKenzie has lots of technical, especially in the first half; Alpine seems to have little technical, but it's so narrow, fast, and flowing and the views are so awesome that you won't care. Ok, do 'em both, but I'd pick McKenzie overall by a hair.

2 - I rode with my (beginner) wife from Benham Falls parking lot near Sunriver, to the Deschutes Brewery in Bend, on the Deschutes River trail (ending on roads in bend). 17 miles; need a car shuttle; but you can do an out and back because it follows a river and while there's up and down, there's overall little elevation change. There's a few walk-able rocky sections, but otherwise it's a very beginner-friendly trail, especially from Benham to Dillan Falls. Caveat: she also didn't like a few of the "exposed" sections (where the trail followed a bit close to a drop off into the river), but holy cow they're not bad. The rest is a a beginner-friendly blast with epic scenery, just watch out for hikers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Barkdog said:
1 - McKenzie. I mean it's a no-brainer. Epic scenery, flow, you name it. As a close second I'd pick the Apine Trail near Oakridge.
Excellent, thank you! I've heard McKenzie is awesome.... I'll check out Alpine Trail as well!

Barkdog said:
Deschutes River trail (ending on roads in bend). 17 miles; need a car shuttle
Ha! Sounds like my wife.... Can't do a shuttle, there are only two of us, but maybe we could do half the trail as an out and back. I don't think she'd like me anymore if I did a 34 mile out and back with her. LOL

Thanks barkdog!

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
adso said:
Another vacationer here...

My wife and I are going to take a trip from Boise to Creswell (Eugene) in late may. The trip will be about a week long and we will be going south along the umpqua to creswell and then north via mckenzie on the way home.

My wife biking skills are horrible... I want to get in nice, easy ride in with her sometime during the trip... however I have a "free day" I can go play on 1 trail around the Eugene area... Which leads to two questions:

Adam
Brice Creek is an awesome ride, but it is bumpy, and your wife won't like it. Let her hike the upper part of the trail, and up to the Trestle creek falls while you do the full trail on your bike.

The McKenzie trail will be way too much for your wife, but the lower 8 miles are mostly flat and smooth. Perfect place to take beginners or kids.

Skip Alpine unless you have a guide. It's hard to find and there are a few confusing turnoffs.

Check out the Disciples of Dirt if you need more trail info, or want to find a guide for a day.

·
mtbr member
702 Posts
Wow- I was going to post something similar- Thanks---
I graduated from Mckenzie in 92 and am heading back this Summer and was going to take my family on some trails but could only recall logging roads and reservoirs around Blue River. I am definitely pumped upon hearing about some " Good rides" in Mckenzie.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies... I really want to ride McKenzie, but it might be too long for my little "day trip". Sounds like I'll have to bring the guys down and have a day of it with some buds. Maybe I'll scope it out for another "guys weekend out" trip later in the year.... Dang. :)

Brice just might be the ticket... cottage grove is right next to creswell... but daaaang the Mckenzie trail is tempting...

Thanks for all the info!

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
My wife's first mountain bike ride was on the bottom section of McKenzie. Instead of starting at the top, we started at the bottom and rode up until my wife got tired. Then we turned around and stopped for lunch at Belknap Hot Springs before heading to the car.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Brice Creek area/Night rides

adso said:
Thanks for the replies... I really want to ride McKenzie, but it might be too long for my little "day trip". Sounds like I'll have to bring the guys down and have a day of it with some buds. Maybe I'll scope it out for another "guys weekend out" trip later in the year.... Dang. :)

Brice just might be the ticket... cottage grove is right next to creswell... but daaaang the Mckenzie trail is tempting...

Thanks for all the info!
Brice Creek area has about 5 different rides in the area,

Brice Creek
Brice/Trestle Creek
Noonday
Adams Mtn Way
Crawfish Trail

Though the last 3 are for the advanced rider and should be ridden in drier and less snowy conditions.

You can also bring your lights and join our group just over the hill from Creswell in Lorane for a Wed night ride at the infamous Whypass trails.

As for beginner trails, do the lower section of MRT. Park at the trailhead and do an out an back with your wife. It gradually get's more technicall the higher you get but the lower stuff does have some twisty trail with some short climbs.

May is a hard time in this area because of the typically wetter weather, some closer trails are going to be really wet and shouldn't be ridden yet but if you can get up to Oakridge and it hasn't been wet for a while then there is miles of trail to do.

Also up the McKenzie way is King Castle-Castle Rock, Olallie and O'leary trails. All singletrack and all climbing trails. Though snow will usually keep you off them until late spring.

Best of luck and like Matt said, check our email group for rides in the area that week you are in town. www.disciplesofdirt.org for the link.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yo - Creswell resident here...

adso said:

Thanks for all the info!
Brice Creek is 20-plus miles southeast of Cottage Grove, so it's not like you're right there as soonas you get off I-5. One nice thing for your wife, though: You could do the paved, flat but pretty Row River Trail (a rails-to-trails project) that goes along the north side of Dorena Reservoir, then head upriver and into the Brice network. You'd need another vehicle to get you or your wife home, but if you're visiting someone here, maybe you'll have access to an extra car? Surely you're visiting someone, people don't just come to Creswell from Idaho strictly for pleasure.

So who do you know here? Just curious. I'm a city councilor here, believe it or not, and have been here 12 years now, so I know quite a few people here.

Maybe we can connect for a ride on one of the Oakridge, or McKenzie, or Brice network trails, or, if you have to stay local, I can show you around on the gravel road networks just east or west of town. With my schedule, Tuesday mornings, Thursdays and Sundays are best, but we are in the process of both selling our house and building a new one, so my availability (and fitness!) may be limited by then.

Just post something here -- I'm horrible at checking personal messages -- or call me at 541-895-4464 (shameless plug: it's Creswell Chiropractic, I run my wife's office)

Al

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha! Small world!

Albee said:
Brice Creek is 20-plus miles southeast of Cottage Grove, so it's not like you're right there as soonas you get off I-5. One nice thing for your wife, though: You could do the paved, flat but pretty Row River Trail (a rails-to-trails project) that goes along the north side of Dorena Reservoir, then head upriver and into the Brice network. You'd need another vehicle to get you or your wife home, but if you're visiting someone here, maybe you'll have access to an extra car? Surely you're visiting someone, people don't just come to Creswell from Idaho strictly for pleasure.

So who do you know here? Just curious. I'm a city councilor here, believe it or not, and have been here 12 years now, so I know quite a few people here.

Maybe we can connect for a ride on one of the Oakridge, or McKenzie, or Brice network trails, or, if you have to stay local, I can show you around on the gravel road networks just east or west of town. With my schedule, Tuesday mornings, Thursdays and Sundays are best, but we are in the process of both selling our house and building a new one, so my availability (and fitness!) may be limited by then.

Just post something here -- I'm horrible at checking personal messages -- or call me at 541-895-4464 (shameless plug: it's Creswell Chiropractic, I run my wife's office)

Al
My wife's family is down there.. The Napper (Ray and Joe) and Palmer (Calvin and his son Al) Families. Al is my wife's dad, Calvin is ancient... like 93? Ray and Joe live a little out of town to the west (camas swale road), Calvin lives on the Goshen-Divide highway around the street Martin. Ray and Joe have kids... Eddie, Rena and Jill. Eddie is big into 4 wheeling out in the bohemia mine area. :) Rena moved to Tigard.... anyway that's enough family history. LOL

I think it would be fun to ride with a local... I'll give you a buzz as it get's closer... I'm thinking May 17th (Tues) or 18th (Wed) is when we will be down there.. It would be pretty cool to have a guide :)

I suppose I'd consider myself an "intermediate" rider.. 30 years old. I've got endurance, some skill, some speed.

Sounds like fun.... Thanks everyone!

Adam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.