Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i have looked several places and can not find a straight answer. so, i figured i would present this to you the fine people of mtbr..

I am looking to purchase an older scott spark, and am caught between 2. one is a large and the other a medium. there is a little over an inch difference in the bb to top bar between the frames. i am 5'10" and 155lbs. I am leaning toward the medium, but will it be too small for me?
what would be the pros and cons of both... a little help is greatly appriciated

·
Registered
74 Posts
I purchased a "high end " racing frameset that was used, and convinced myself it would fit, albeit on the small side........................major mistake. It rode horrible, not to mention the 27.2mm post sticking out a flexy ass mile.

This is what I do now-

I measure a MTB that fits (even a roadbike will do) from the BB (center) to the top of the seat and when I go shopping I have a string cut to this length in my pocket. I run the string on the frameset I am looking at, if the seat top estimated general location is way high, I start checking other sizes.

If you are going sight unseen, just get the BB to top measurement and go from there. A larger diameter post will allow you to run a stiffer/taller setup, but if it uses a 27.2 or so, I would try to keep things reasonable.

Some guys run posts way out and think it's fine, but I can see them flex like crazy with every pedal stroke. I like to run 11-13 inches or so from seat-tube top to the top of the saddle, even with a 27.2mm post this is not too much IMO.

You start getting into the 14-15" range, and things can get pretty flexy, especially with a "skinny" post.

This is just my general observation.

Top tube length etc. is all part of the fit, but the first thing I always check is how much post is going to sticking out when I have the optimum XC pedal position- DH and AM bikes the rules different.

Hope this helps in your decision making!

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
you'll need to give more information than the...I'm 6'1" 240 and ride and medium frame..that is as descriptive as you have been....frame measurments, inseam length would be the first..then we can get into top tube length...or the best option is to ride both and see which you feel most comfortable on..and yet a 3rd you be to pay the 100 or so dollars get a fitting and go from there..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hannibal, thanks a lot. you have help greatly.
germany- the medium spark is 17.7 bb to top bar w/ 29 in standover, and 23 in top bar length. my current ride is right at 19in bb to top bar w/ 30 standover, and 23.7ish top bar length.... however, i have always felt a little small on it... kinda like i am sitting inside intead of on top if this makes sense...

since i am now moving toward racing, i am concerned with getting a frame i can maneuver well, and be more aggressive on... and of course weight reduction. I feel with hannibals suggestions i can fit the med. spark just fine...

any other opinions? anyone who owns or has ridden a spark? alternative frames?

thanks

·
Feeling retro..but Jung
223 Posts
I agree 19 is too big...and the medium is probally correct..but what I was getting at was the lack of info..I probally have a shorter inseam than you and am 3" taller so your height means little as a single data point...Scotts are fine bicycles and every bicycle manufacturer makes a capable race frame you really just need to find the one that is best for you..we all have our preferences and bias' but what works great for me will not work great for you..opinons on frame are just like all other opinions worth what you paid for them...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, opinions was preciseky what i was looking for. i understand the measurements, but figured i would go to the source of riders... people actually on the bikes. i know everyone is different, and if someone else who is 5'10" and 155lbs rides a medium spark and loves it does not mean i will.... sorry for my lack of info to help you guide me, but in all honesty if you have nothing helpful to add, then dont worry about it. thanks for trying.

again though, anyone on a spark or another race frame in the price range that wishes to add their opinion, feel free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts