Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you in advance for assisting me in a tough decision.

I am a 6'3'' 290 lb rider attempting to get back into Mountain Biking after a extensive layoff. I want to purchase a durable hardtail that will allow me to ride trails and pavement with my son. My original budget was $600; but I quickly found I needed to extend my price range. My extensive research using the internet and local bike shops had pushed me towards spending $900 on a 07 Kona Hoss. I waited too long and nobody in Northern California has any 07 or 08 models available; they have been a hot item of late. The next available models will be out in late July or Early August. Here is where I need help I had several other choices>

Should I wait for the Kona Hoss

Specialized Rockhopper Disc

Specialized Rockhopper Disc 29

K2 Zed 3.0

Kona Caldero

Many have said hydraulic brakes are the only way to go. Is this the case?

Help!

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
the bikes you have chosen seem to me like great bikes for what you want to do. because of your height I would reccomend looking very hard at the Rockhopper 29er, you will prolly feel more at home on the big wheels, then again you might not so don't take it as gospel. Hydraulic brakes are by no means necessary. mechanical disks offer almost as much stopping power and are much easier to take care of. Another reason to look at the Rockhopper. good luck and have fun.

·
Jesus loved the dinosaurs
360 Posts
FireBallKY said:
At 6'3" you'll be fine on a 20" or 22" Kona Hoss and yes, the wait for the Hoss is worth it.
+1

Wait for the Hoss. 29er's don't ride better, just different. Besides, I think it's a fad that will fade in a few years (sorry 29er's. that's one opinion from someone who's seen a lot of fads in mountain biking.)

Oh, and a quality set of hydraulic brakes will be more power and no maintenance than mechanicals. Definitely worth it. I'd recommend Formula Oro K24's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking for a hardtail for myself as well, however I am not enthused by the components on the Kona Hoss. Money is not too much of an issue for me....is there a bike with XT/XTR components for a heavy rider?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the input. Fortunately, I emailed the great people at Kona and they were able to find a Kona Hoss and send it to my LBS. I should be riding by the end of next week. I made this a long drawn out process and should have bought the Hoss I test rode several weeks ago. See ya on the trails.

·
BIG and Bald
399 Posts
You made an excellent choice. Just treat your bike right and it will last for quite a while. Keep up on your tune ups and learn how to shift smoothly. Alot of people will blame a bike for poor performance when it's really due to user error.

James,

As for the parts pick on the Hoss, there isn't anything wrong with it. The Deore level parts are high quality yet able to keep the bike at a sub $1000 price range. XT and XTR is mostly just for weight weinnies that think a few ounces makes a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.