Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
I quit e-MTBR
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Wow, that Circuit MIPS is one ugly helmet.
https://road.cc/content/review/240091-bontrager-circuit-mips-road-helmet

Maybe not quite Fox Dropframe ugly, but impressive still.

Anyway, the reviews I've read on the Blaze Wavecel generally say the ventilation isn't bad. Better than Smith's Koroyd helmets, not as airy as the best-vented conventional designs. Sounds like what you've seen too.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,729 Posts
Wanting a new gravel / xc helmet this year.

Cant decide between the specter wavecel or the circuit mips.

Ive heard mixed reviews on wavecels lack of airflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airflow is fine on spectre wavcel

I have one and used it on hill repeats in 100 deg weather, it ventilates just as well as any other helmet I've ever used.

·
I quit e-MTBR
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Today I got my hands on the Bell Super Air (the full-faceable Super Air R, actually). I didn't wear it on a ride, just tried it on inside. My superficial impressions:

• the inner shell rotates quite smoothly. My guess would be that it's at or near the top of the class on real-world reduction of rotational forces.
  • I'm not as confident about linear forces. The inner shell is said to be EPP, and it has a hint of noticeable give to it, but nothing remotely like the squishiness of 6D ODS. Beyond that I can't say.
  • the inner shell covers the entire inside surface except for the bottom back and side. So it may have a dead spot there (although a second or two of pushing made me think my head might not contact there in a crash?). Again, not sure.

Comparing the Super Air side by side with the Super DH, the difference was glaring. The Super Air's outer shell is plainly smaller. In particular, it's narrower side to side and doesn't come as low on the brow and ears. (To me that's great news. The Super DH looks like a mushroom on my head without the chinbar, and I'm constantly pushing it up off my brows on rides.) It looks much better ventilated, too. The Super Air looks vastly more practical as an everyday halfshell trail helmet IMO.

I popped on the chinbar for a look. It seemed quite airy but pretty dang flimsy. Hard for me to envision many situations where the halfshell would feel like too little but a real fullface would feel like too much. Again, just my quick superficial impression.

(I think of the Super DH as a nice fullface that's okay as a halfshell in a pinch; now I suspect that the Super Air is a nice halfshell that's okay as a fullface in a pinch.)

Anyhow, having now seen the Super Air in the flesh, my view remains basically the same as what I said above. While I suspect the 6D ATB-1T is bit more effective at preventing concussions, overall I view the Super Air as one of the top options available for a safe, quality trail helmet.

·
I quit e-MTBR
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
REI just bumped up the price on the Bontrager Wavecel Blaze to $315, because $300 wasn't quite expensive enough.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Great tip on the TLD A2. Only a few rides with it, but so far the best fitting helmet I've ever had. The TLD webpage has some other killer deals. I bought some Skyline shorts for a good price that includes the liner.

·
I quit e-MTBR
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yeah, they have Ruckus shorts deeply discounted too, they're one of my all-time favorite shorts.

·
Registered
211 Posts
All good info, thanks for taking the time (everyone). I'm on the fence between the non-SPIN Poc Octal X and the SPIN version. Been wearing a non-MIPS Synthe for a few years, and the MIPS version arrives in a few days as does the Giro Aether which has MIPS incorporated differently than the Synthe.

·
I quit e-MTBR
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'm skeptical than any full-face is the best choice for maximum reduction of concussion risk. But, among enduro fullfaces, the Stage looks like one to consider.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I just had a crash into a skatepark bowl that broke my hand and probably some ribs. I hit the front of my face hard too. Wearing a 4 yo Bell Super 2R. Walked away with just a minor laceration and no signs of concussion. Ive had a few previous hockey and bike head impacts that required ER and dentist and likely concussion, so happy my head is OK. Helmet looks perfectly fine but Im looking for a new one and the reviews out there are just worthless... eg it feels light, it must not be as safe! Im an engineer and though I don't know much about helmets I can tell when someone else has no clue either... and bike journos are as informed as mattress salesmen it seems.

My then 6yo split a Super 2R at the chin dropping into a bowl last summer. Regardless of the concussion tech used, read these forums and lots of people are having issues with the chin bars failing and causing harm.

If you think mtb helmet tech is sad, look at hockey. Official USA hockey training is that helmets have no effect on concussion risk... which is probably true for the s*** that passes for a helmet in the sport. I coach and played for a decade and no one will let you play with a more effective helmet because its not certified for use in ice hockey, yet my kid has been concussion protocoled out twice this COVID addled season (then again, the padding for the rest of the body is way more effective).

Im going to try the TLD Stage and Bell Super Air.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,301 Posts
The hockey helmets are the same now as the 80s really. (marginally better than the helmets when I first started playing in the 70s).

I have a Bontrager, it was about $130. The wave cell does not breathe well. I've also had a couple concussions, both on the bike and playing hockey... I'll suffer and sweat if I have to.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I was told I couldn't go out in the Spaceball Jofa I've had since '98 by the youth hockey org. But the new CCM is only more comfortable, otherwise less coverage and just the same hard plastic outer with foam inner. Both times I had dental issues w head hits I was wearing a metal cage but they only attach at the cheeks via straps, which does nothing for impacts to the chin that force the cage against your face. Only useful for errant sticks and deflected pucks.

I dont understand the griping over $100 or $200 in helmet cost when a failure leads to several thousand $ in dentistry. Be glad you are in a sport that cares about your well being and mfgs are actually trying to make it safer. I wont let my kid play travel hockey.

Will report back on fit for my round 61cm head with shaggy mane.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,301 Posts
I was told I couldn't go out in the Spaceball Jofa I've had since '98 by the youth hockey org. But the new CCM is only more comfortable, otherwise less coverage and just the same hard plastic outer with foam inner. Both times I had dental issues w head hits I was wearing a metal cage but they only attach at the cheeks via straps, which does nothing for impacts to the chin that force the cage against your face. Only useful for errant sticks and deflected pucks.

I dont understand the griping over $100 or $200 in helmet cost when a failure leads to several thousand $ in dentistry. Be glad you are in a sport that cares about your well being and mfgs are actually trying to make it safer. I wont let my kid play travel hockey.

Will report back on fit for my round 61cm head with shaggy mane.

I had fewer dental issues without the cage. Far fewer sticks to the face too. But that's a thread drift ;)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Also my understanding of concussions is that they are due not only to the brain sloshing around in the skull, but damage at the cellular level. Rotation is worse because your brain is an oval in an oval container.

Surprised we got so far w/out a definition of impulse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_(physics)

If bike journos were right and heavier helmets are safer, DH riders should be wearing copper diving helmets. Reminds me of Jurassic Park where the lawyer asks if the binocs are heavy... cuz if they are they must be expensive.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I went and tried a Giro Tyrant w the spherical MIPS and a 100% Trajecta which has some mechanism based on little squishy blue standoffs. The spherical MIPS is easy to actuate and see working. The 100%... not so much, and requires changing out pads to adjust fit and that means popping those standoffs out. It wasnt easy. Based on that Im inclined to get the Super Air R or Super DH. The TLD Stage also requires fiddling with pads. FYI my 61cm head should fit a L or XL 100% Trajecta but I found the L didnt get wide enough for my round, oversized noggin.
EDIT: yes the fiddling w pads is probably a one time activity. I go a long time between haircuts so have to adjust helmet fit every few months. Edge case.

100% Trajecta IRL:

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
Also my understanding of concussions is that they are due not only to the brain sloshing around in the skull, but damage at the cellular level. Rotation is worse because your brain is an oval in an oval container.

Surprised we got so far w/out a definition of impulse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_(physics)

If bike journos were right and heavier helmets are safer, DH riders should be wearing copper diving helmets. Reminds me of Jurassic Park where the lawyer asks if the binocs are heavy... cuz if they are they must be expensive.
WHere are you reading ANY journalist reporting that heavier helmets are safer? I have been in this industry for 30 years, never heard that.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I went and tried a Giro Tyrant w the spherical MIPS and a 100% Trajecta which has some mechanism based on little squishy blue standoffs. The spherical MIPS is easy to actuate and see working. The 100%... not so much, and requires changing out pads to adjust fit and that means popping those standoffs out. It wasnt easy. Based on that Im inclined to get the Super Air R or Super DH. The TLD Stage also requires fiddling with pads. FYI my 61cm head should fit a L or XL 100% Trajecta but I found the L didnt get wide enough for my round, oversized noggin.
Curious on your allure with the Tyrant? have you had impacts to your ears? this tiny trend of ear coverage is super strange to me. Half shell or Full face, take your pick-why 3/4 shell?

As for your experience with the STAGE helmet, 'fiddling' with pads? that helmet comes with the most amount of customization by way of all the included pads, for OPTIMAL fit, once you dial it in, you are golden-for good, the 'fiddling' is a one time thing ya know? To put a retention dial in a helmet like that, would create discomfort on the neck...I know because we tried.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts