Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My current bike is getting too small, so I'm in the market for a new bike. I need a bike primarily used for roads, but still going on trails occasionally. Basically I have to decide if I want better brakes (Hardrock) or a better fork/suspension (Rockhopper). I've narrowed it down to two options:

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12277

Specialized Rockhopper
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12989

Basically I have to decide if I want better brakes (Hardrock) or a better fork/suspension (Rockhopper).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rockhopper

After checking out the specs on each bike I would go with the Rockhopper. The component specs are pretty even according to the Specialized web site. For roads and light trail riding the brakes will be fine. We all used to ride rim brakes in the past. As long as you don't ride in really nasty weather, or do alot of long downhills, the brakes will be ok. The rear derailleur on the Rockhopper is one grade above the SRAM SX-4, and due to the fact that rim brakes don't require the wheels to be over-built like disc brake wheels, the wheelset on the Rockhopper will be lighter. Saving rotational weight is a benefit to rim brakes. Good luck and have fun...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any other opinions?

Does anyone else have any other opinions? I'm leaning towards the rockhopper but would like a few more opinions.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Same dilemma...

SpecializedRider said:
Does anyone else have any other opinions? I'm leaning towards the rockhopper but would like a few more opinions.
Hey Specialized, I've got the same decision: I test drove a Hardrock Comp disc at my LBS(clearance 05 model) and was impressed; they didn't have a Rockhopper, the model I was leaning toward; was told the Rockhopper(like hurtman said) has better components for good entry level/intermediate trail bike if you should use your bike more on the trails in the future. For my type of riding, the disc brakes arn't really needed, but they sure do look good on the hardrock comp. My decision is futher complicated by me wanting to look at the Fisher Tassajara before I make the final call :) I am also leaning towards the Rockhopper. Any futher advice from others on the Tassajara vs. Rockhopper? :confused:

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Rockhopper

SpecializedRider said:
Hey guys,
My current bike is getting too small, so I'm in the market for a new bike. I need a bike primarily used for roads, but still going on trails occasionally. Basically I have to decide if I want better brakes (Hardrock) or a better fork/suspension (Rockhopper). I've narrowed it down to two options:
Given that your intention is primarily street use with some trails thrown in I vote Rockhopper. If you find that you begin using the bike more on the trails, then you might begin to see some of the limitations of the components. They will definitely be trailworthy, but as you start riding on more difficult terrain, you may find the rim brakes and Judy fork to be somewhat lacking.

For now, the bike seems like a very good choice based on your needs. Buy it, ride it, and enjoy.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts