Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to finalize my decision on the three bikes. I'm 6'6" 260 and to be honest will most likely be riding the bike on a paved trail (Mount Vernon Trail, VA) most of the time and will be looking to take it up on the trails when I find time.

I know the FS is mostly overkill for paved trails but I would like to have it in my back pocket for the times I do ride on the trails in and around VA/DC/MD.

The SJ is currently beeing offered at a discount ('08) models and has a life time warrenty on the frames and is actually quite a nice bike as far as components go.
I was only able to test ride it for a short time and wasn't able to take it up on any trails. On the road it felt really nice (XL size). I don't know how the brain suspension would work if beat on properly on the trails but it appeared to be working OK for me.

I'm still looking to pick up a used one but they are pretty hard to come by when you're looking for the XL size.

What are your thoughts on the three bikes mentioned?

Looking forward to your opinions.
Paul

·
CEO Product Failure
2,184 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I really like my FSR SJ but the wheels are very flexy. At least for trail riding. Maybe fine for paved stuff.
I am 6'5" and 250. I ride and XL.
Going for a set of crossmax 29er wheels soon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Brain Opinion (or brainless...take your pick)

I rented a SJ in Sedona a couple of months back. Although I didn't care for the bike's geometry (actually, I hated it), I did like the brain concept and its function.

Seemed pretty good to me - responsive when necessary and pretty darn stiff on the pavement/climbs. Dialing it in was simple, and only a click or two provided significant change in feel.

We did some rolling singletrack with some optional technical stuff (that I chose to do), as well as a couple of small drops (nothing serious). We also rode several miles back to town on pavement. All in all, it was probably about a 3.5 hour trip.

Overall, the Brain was pretty impressive. But don't get the bike just for the Brain; you need to like the geometry, too (obviously).

I am 6-4, 215 lbs or so geared up to ride.

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
1971tch said:
Ventana el capitian would be the best choice for us clydes and you can get it with 5 inch rockers
:thumbsup:
How does it compare to the Lenz Behemoth though besides being more expensive?
The moth comes with 5".

I did hear that El Capitian also has a burlier rear triangle available.

Assuming both are clyde worthy....would love to test them out.

I'm getting the bug and starting to look at 29ers too. (6'6", 260+)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have never seen a lenz personally so the only thing I would be able to compare are pictures and personally I find it to be a little ugly. I'm saving for a El Capitian right now. I'm 6'5" 240 and the tall sizing looks perfect

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The Ventana would def be the way to go. I personally don't like the parts spec on the Specialized. Have heard good things about the Niner also.

You might also consider a Turner Sultan.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all your input.

Well, I came home after a week on the road and my lovely wife decided to surprise me on the 4th with a Stumpy FSR 29er at the breakfast table!! :D Not sure how she pulled it off, especially after both her and I stopped by the lbs the day before to see if they still had the bike I had my eye on in the shop. The guy there looked me straight in the eye and told me they sold it but might still be able to get one from another shop.

Thanks babe, you're the greatest!! Now it's time to hit some trails...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.