Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 5'10", so I fall in the middle of SC's size chart. I have long legs, short torso. I used to own a medium Blur XC and then a Large Spark. In the store the spark is more comfortable, but on longer rides, my neck and shoulders would get sore, plus it was more challenging climbing it, and descending with it, even with the 120mm fork. Descending the scott felt cumbersome. With the climbing, when the hill got really steep, I'd either have my front tire start to wander or I'd lose rear traction because I'm controlling the front tire. With the blur, my seat is way high and back, but climbs like a charm and descends better. It feels more nimble. Our trails here are rocky, rooty, twisty singletrack, with tons of climbing. On a local trail with alot of climbing, and descending...zero flat, I'm 10 mins faster on the blur.
Logic tells me to get the medium, but both bike shops tell me the Large looks better. (Note: neither has a medium in stock. One had a medium that was sold).
It's alot of money to spend, so I'm trying to figure which one to go for.

·
Naturally Organic
1,245 Posts
5'10" 170# 31" inseam here. IMO, I liked the L Tallboy for many different reasons. The SO fit better, the cockpit felt more comfortable (I would shorten the stem to 85-90mm to dial it in a little), the ST length with the 175mm cranks felt great w/o too much seatpost out (~190mm), the geo and COG felt great (racing or trail)...the LBS can usually switch out the stem for no charge. YMMV.

FYI, I prefer L in most other bikes, also (Pivot 429, GF SF100 & HiFi & RF, Spesh Epic & FSR SJ...etc.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, my inseam is 34", which makes my torso short. That's my problem. A 90mm stem is too long. Is going with a 80mm stem ok? I come from the old school racing...long 110mm stem.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just came off a med spec stumpjumper and purchased a med RIP 9. I know its not the same bike, but I ran a 100 mm stem on my stumpie. Perfect fit on that bike for me. Thinking it would be that same on the rip I purchsed a 100mm stem for that bike as well. Not even close. I had over a 2 in longer reach. Switched it to a 75 mm and it feels much better. Check the effective top tube legnth on the tall boy and compare it to the bike your most comfterable on. If it were me and the trails you describe, I would go with a med. and get a stem that would put some of your weight over the front for climbing.

·
Cars Are Evil
1,125 Posts
Effective top tube length is more important than seat tube length.

Keep your stem under 100mm or you'll be weighting the front too much IMHO.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
5'10" 32 inch inseam.

I ride a medium with a 100mm x 6 deg stem, 1cm spacer underneath and a flat wide bar.

One thing I would tell you is that on the medium and large tallboy the headtube is the same length.

My brother is 5'11" with a 33 inch inseam and rides a large with a 90mm stem.

I could ride the large with a 80mm stem and be happy. I like the slightly shorter wheelbase on the medium.

Seatube is about 1.5 inches longer on a large so figure you will have to run that much more seatpost if you roll with a medium.

·
Naturally Organic
1,245 Posts
Ymmv

lking11 said:
yeah, my inseam is 34", which makes my torso short. That's my problem. A 90mm stem is too long. Is going with a 80mm stem ok? I come from the old school racing...long 110mm stem.
IMO, shorter stem with negative rise makes steering & handling better and feels more "new school 29er race" aggressive...also, look to see if the seatpost has any set back, I like being back further over the rear wheel, some people don't. If there is setback and you don't like it, get another seatpost and 90mm might be perfect. 80-85mm works, also. It's all about how it feels to you. Have the LBS change out the seatpost and stem to you liking until it's perfect for you and your trails.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm 5'10.5" with a 33.5 inch inseam, long legs, short torso just like you. I ride a medium Tallboy with a 100mm stem and love it. I've had several bikes with ETT in the 23.75 -24 inch range before and they always felt too big for my taste. I like the shorter wheelbase of the medium, too. It helps it feel more nimble.

·
Registered
594 Posts
lking11 said:
I ride a 70mm stem. With a 26in wide bar I didn't notice any extra twitchyness.

I'm also short in the torso and I still like the long ETT. I'd get the largest frame you can safely stand over and go with the short stem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a tad over 5' 10 and am on a med carbon blur. I have been riding/racing for 15 years and usually go with a 23" TT, hence the med, but the SC feels 'short' for its stated TT length. I have to run a 110mm stem to get anywhere near the correct length. I'm a 33" inside leg with long arms. ..go large

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
I'm 6 ft and find the large a bit cramped unless I run a 110 and setback post. I believe the XL with a 80/90mm stem will be perfect. If in doubt, I'm starting to go up a size. I used to be the other way around.

·
Registered
70 Posts
FWIW, I'm just now ready to ride a newly built Tallboy in size large. I'm 6' and have a 34 inseam. I have it setup right now with a setback seatpost and 100mm stem but might be able to use a zero setback seatpost and a 90mm stem. A long ride will be needed to determine this though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update: I had the opportunity to try both a Large and a Medium on one of our more commonly ridden trails. It's only 11km long, but it's a ton of climbing. A lot of roots and loose rocks. Based on both rides I ended up getting the medium. The large felt great on the easier section of the trail, but once the climbing and descending got steep, I had a lot more control of the medium. I love the bike. The only thing I'm changing immediately are the tires. I ordered some Racing Ralph's for it. Next year I'll consider a lighter wheelset for racing.

thanks for all of the input and info guys. In the end I just went with what "felt" better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts