Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to General Discussion Forum..
Looking for opinions….. riding tubeless and want a tough tough tire. I'm riding an Ibis SL-R, and I weigh 160. Most of my riding is AM... but no drops over 1-2 feet? I'm probably looking for what some would consider over kill..too much tire for what I do? I have Specialized Ground Control and Fast Track on the bike now which are what came with it. They are great, but I want more beef! Reviews vary but one caught my eye and after reading up some more, it sounds good….

Specialized 2.3 2BLISS Ready Butcher Control for the FRONT Tire
Specialized 2.3 Purgatory Control for the REAR Tire -

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Minion DHF would be my choice. Amazingly good tire. Super beefy, massive traction, and not bad rolling for how well it grips

·
Registered
309 Posts
I personally would not reccomend the Purgatory. I used one on the front of my Stumpy last season because it came stock on my bike and I hated it. Very unpredictable and it washed out frequently. Quite frankly I wouldn't recommend any Specialized tire. They're known for having weak sidewalls and the Ground Control I had on the back last year had a side wall failure within two months of when I started riding consistently for the year. Even before the side wall failure I disliked how the tire performed. Some people love Specialized's tires, I'm not sure how they could from my experience though.

This year I'm trying the WTB Vigilante Team Issues on the front and rear. They're definitely beefy, and a little heavy (advertised at 930g, mine weigh 828g). I've got high hopes for them and they've received great reviews from those who have run them so far. WTB has my loyalty from the fantastic experience I've had with the Weirwolfs (another great option) over the last 10 years and I'm hoping the Vigilantes will be just as great. Might work for you as well.

·
I'm with stupid
5,920 Posts
I'm running the butcher front purgatory rear and like it. Thinking about switching to the ground control rear butcher front for a bit faster and more drifty rear. If you have not torn up the sidewalks on your current setup then this combo will be more then fine. Some folks tear up sidewalls and some don't. Depends on your riding style, but I you can make the fast trak live then you will be fine. Plus they are only $50 a piece, so much cheaper then maxxis or wtb offerings when you look at a set.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
tires are pretty subjective. they all have different nuances, that's why opions vary, some times its a matter of figuring out how the tire behaves, and experimenting with tire pressure. Different compounds, treads, and air pressure behave different in different soil types and moistures. I like the minion also high roller combo. Learned about it here. but again its very subjective. the HR can get pretty loose break bumping in dry soil, and you gotta lay it over to hook it up. the minion catches quicker and transition more subtle because of the center tread siping. I considered the specialized your looking at. they definatly would be a good fit for your bike and invite you to be more aggressive in the corners. if you like them go for it. just remember that some aggressive tire feel like they wanna let go before they hook back up in the corners. they are designed that way.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
X3 on the DHF minion. Downside is it is heavy compared to my Hans Damp

·
Unpredictable
2,208 Posts
Hi SSD. I have an SL-R frame unbuilt in the garage but I'm still riding my old 2006 Mojo C. It doesn't want to die and I still like it that way as I haven't worked out all my preferences for the new frame.

We have lots of exposed and loose rock on our trails. There are jumps and drops a lot bigger than 1-2 feet, but most of what we ride at speed is not about jumping. I don't have the best fork on the current ride and I tend to run it a bit stiff. That puts pressure on the front tyre to be stable and hook up quickly. I ride lower pressures tubeless. Average 20-25 front and 22-26 rear. I am 190lb without pack.

The Ibis has such a supple rear suspension you can get big grip out of a solid side wall, even when bouncing off stones. I use Spesh Purgatory Grid Wall 2.2 at the back. Despite the solid sidewall encouraging more deflection than on a weaker tyre, it is predictable on the rear and heavy weight transfers to the rear are confident. It lasts well, really well. It is not great on mud and wet log climbs, but does both better than I need.

On the front I use a High Roller II 2.35, which is so much stronger than the old HR, but rides the same. It tips into corners fast and likes to hook up late. It does not deflect much and seems to be lasting longer. It is also much fatter than the old 2.35.

I see people suggesting tyres for the back that drift. It's much easier to get a front that rails than a back that drifts on the Ibis IMO, because of the way the bike handles. Pretty hard not to find a good combo for that bike really. I agree with your plan - don't go light.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stay away from Continental (unless you like flats) they came stock on my bike front tire lasted 3 rides back tire lasted a few more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR UST, Dual ply, SuperTacky, 2,5.

Been riding the last summer on that tyre and its been a great experience. It have lots and lots of tracktion, and when it starts to slide it does not come as a suprise.

This summer i will try Magic Mary SuperGravity Vertstar 2,35. Maybe Hans Dampf Trailstar at the rear and Magic mary up at the front.

Oh btw i never had a flat last summer on the Minions!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Stay away from Continental (unless you like flats) they came stock on my bike front tire lasted 3 rides back tire lasted a few more.
Several of us locally run them with no issue's?

I run a either a Maxxis Minion or a Schwalbe Fat Albert in front and a Spec. Clutch or conti Trailking in back. Its been the FA/TK combo for a few month's now.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
If you want sidewall protection, any tire with Maxxis's 'EXO' sidewall protection will be an excellent choice. They don't deflect as easily as a standard single ply, and I've been raking mine across rocks for years without a single sidewall tear. Specialized and Kenda both are light, but their sidewalls are incredibly thin. I've got no experience with Conti, but I did see a guy with a relatively new one where a 4-inch section of the bead cord tore right out of the sidewall, herniating the tire and making it completely un-patchable. Guy had a long walk back in summer Moab heat. I've heard they grip pretty well, but that instance steered me away for good. DHF 2.5 EXOs front and rear.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Night and day difference for contis with Protection and Black chili. All manufacturers have the same versions, EXO for Maxxis, Snakeskin for Schwalbe, etc.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I personally would not reccomend the Purgatory. I used one on the front of my Stumpy last season because it came stock on my bike and I hated it. Very unpredictable and it washed out frequently. Quite frankly I wouldn't recommend any Specialized tire. They're known for having weak sidewalls and the Ground Control I had on the back last year had a side wall failure within two months of when I started riding consistently for the year. Even before the side wall failure I disliked how the tire performed. Some people love Specialized's tires, I'm not sure how they could from my experience though.
I agree with you on the sidewalls being weak. My SJ came with the Purgatory on the rear and I got tons of sidewall rashes and eventually a puncture within about 7-8 rides.
I ended up getting the Maxxis Minion DHF EXO and am loving it so far. Very similar tread pattern as the Butcher but a little wider and with stronger sidewalls. Tons of traction.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,518 Posts
New to General Discussion Forum..
Looking for opinions….. riding tubeless and want a tough tough tire. I'm riding an Ibis SL-R, and I weigh 160. Most of my riding is AM... but no drops over 1-2 feet? I'm probably looking for what some would consider over kill..too much tire for what I do? I have Specialized Ground Control and Fast Track on the bike now which are what came with it. They are great, but I want more beef! Reviews vary but one caught my eye and after reading up some more, it sounds good….

Specialized 2.3 2BLISS Ready Butcher Control for the FRONT Tire
Specialized 2.3 Purgatory Control for the REAR Tire -

Thanks for your time.
I've been running that exact combo for a while now. Love them!

I try lots of tires, and seldom like something enough to buy it twice in a row. Over half don't even stay on the bike very long, I give them a couple months to get to know them and if I am not wow'ed, I ditch them. Despite that, this is my 2nd Butcher Control and I am about to replace my Purg with another.

I think the Butcher control is one of the very best front tires I have run, and the best IMO the best I have tried for its weight range (under 800g). I find the Purg to be a very good all-rounder for the rear. Good balance of brake/drive tractions, cornering behavior (gives predictably and and before the butcher up front), and rolling resistance. Also, I like the way the casing feels on both tires. These are very supple tires.

I find this to be a great combo for riding pretty much everything. I guess if I was in an XC race and I really cared about shaving every second off my time I would swap for something faster rolling on both ends.

As far as the sidewalls, it depends how hard you are on them. Yes, they are on the thinner side. Not xc-racer paper thin, but on the thinner side for an AM tire. But that is the trade off for having the light weight. I think it also contributes to the suppleness. I did put a small tear in my Purg, but it was small enough to patch, and has been fine for the life of the tire, including a week at Moab. But if you are hard on sidewalls, these are probably not your tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
+1 for the WTB Weirwolfs. I've been running one on my front wheel for 2 seasons now and have enjoyed it. They have a very dense tread pattern so if they get clogged with leaves or mud they tend to slide about, but on rocks and dry hard-pack they are awesome.

On the rear I've been running a Tiago Psycogenius, check this one out. It's tread pattern rolls with little resistance when the bike is straight up but bites and grips as soon as you lean on the side knobs. This combo is nice because the rear tire likes to drift a little, yet the front grips and "pulls" you through the turn, so you can throw the tail out around turns without the worry of washing out the front tire.

I've liked this combo, but that's just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts