Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to choose a dropper post for a while now. I ride a Commencal Meta HT. I was thinking about the Brand-X from CRC, but I was just curious if anyone else has had experience with it.
Another one I was considering was the Kind Shock Rage-I, which you can buy for $120 on Commencal's website. I can't find much about it, and I thought that it might end up being kind of crappy. If anyone has it, what do you think?
I'm 14, and trying to save as much money as I can, LOL. So, I'm thinking around the $150 or less mark.
Thanks

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
I have had many Brand X Droppers and all have been great. Better then some of the expensive droppers by far.
x2. I have two of them. They functioned flawlessly last winter for over 50 solid mountain rides (some epic) in minus 25 to plus 25 C temps. I have some serious mileage in on them and can vouch for this from direct experience.

I also own some Transfers. They all function well, but the TranzX/BrandX ones do so at a fraction of the cost.

No brainer (IMHO) if you are looking for an inexpensive dropper.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, everyone. Last time I ordered from CRC, everything came just fine, but the box had a huge rip in it. I've heard that they switched shipping companies. Anyone know whether or not the ten dollar "Premium Shipping" scam makes a difference? CRC says it gives you 2-4 day shipping rather then 6 days.

· Registered
812 Posts
It's true the Brand-X are more than "just fine" when it comes to a wallet friendly dropper, you may want to check out PNW before you pull the trigger on a order from CRC. PNW has a dropper called Ridge at $129. I've had numerous PNW posts and they are also extremely reliable and very serviceable at home. The other thing about PNW is their customer service is stupid amazing. All of their posts have lifetime warranties as well.

· Registered
812 Posts
Another vote for pnw, very good customer service. I had to warranty something. Item on the way the very next day.

They also have higher end refurbished dropper post with 1 yr warranty at major discount. You owe yourself to at least check it out.
Right! I had forgotten they had the refurb program.

· Registered
382 Posts
It's true the Brand-X are more than "just fine" when it comes to a wallet friendly dropper, you may want to check out PNW before you pull the trigger on a order from CRC. PNW has a dropper called Ridge at $129. I've had numerous PNW posts and they are also extremely reliable and very serviceable at home. The other thing about PNW is their customer service is stupid amazing. All of their posts have lifetime warranties as well.
Same here. PNW has been amazing. I remember reading that they've extended their warranty to lifetime - and it's retroactive.
Truly the best customer service I've ever had on anything.
Droppers have been overall reliable though I did have a rainier that needed a new cartridge which they shipped out really fast.
Their posts are super easy to repair and maintain, and overall just work well.

· Registered
461 Posts
Another vote for the brand x. I bought mine last year to replace a sagging Rockshox reverb. I was initially skeptical because it was priced really low and it's an in house brand with not a lot of history.

I bought it as a stop gap measure at the start of the year to extend the life of my decade old bike as the bike as my preordered bike was taking longer than intended to be delivered. Initial impressions was that this was a very good quality post for the money and other than the stamped aluminum lever, the post itself is high quality and perfectly acceptable on any mid level bike. Riding impressions are all positive. The post is drama free, the stroke is smooth, and there's no play.

Honestly speaking, if I were to get another dropper post, I would have no issues with getting another one. It's a no frills part that does the same job as other posts that cost 50-100% more. The only thing I might change would be the remote. It functions, but it's not refined.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

· high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
Another vote for the brand x. I bought mine last year to replace a sagging Rockshox reverb. I was initially skeptical because it was priced really low and it's an in house brand with not a lot of history.

I bought it as a stop gap measure at the start of the year to extend the life of my decade old bike as the bike as my preordered bike was taking longer than intended to be delivered. Initial impressions was that this was a very good quality post for the money and other than the stamped aluminum lever, the post itself is high quality and perfectly acceptable on any mid level bike. Riding impressions are all positive. The post is drama free, the stroke is smooth, and there's no play.

Honestly speaking, if I were to get another dropper post, I would have no issues with getting another one. It's a no frills part that does the same job as other posts that cost 50-100% more. The only thing I might change would be the remote. It functions, but it's not refined.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
I've had both the kind that are front to back, that come over and in front of the bar, and the usual trigger shifter. The TranzX trigger shifter is fine (and I have Wolftooth trigger shifters on two other bikes). I did not like the kind I mentioned first, and mistakenly replaced it and the dropper. I should have just replaced the remote and left the dropper. It was my first TranzX. I didn't know any better and assumed it was krap, along with the remote.

· Registered
407 Posts
I also have a Tranz-X. Functionally I have no complaints, but the insertion part is just a bit too long which causes me to run it as far in as it will go (there is a curve in my seat tube) to get my preferred saddle height and that also means that I can't really change my saddle unless I use a low profile one. This might be my specific Tranz-X model, but others are a bit shorter.

· Registered
382 Posts
Interesting - about Brand X and PNW. Good to know.
The standard levers are okay but exactly as you describe - not refined. Though not entirely necessary, upgrading the lever does make a nice difference during a ride.
Again, I'll point to PNW as their "loam lever" is spectacular.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, everyone. I think I'll get the Brand X. PNW posts sound great, but I'm getting a 200mm one, and their options for that are quite expensive, at around $70 dollars more than the Brand X. Also, that's without a lever. I realized that the same dropper comes on some Nukeproof bikes, which I'm pretty sure has some ties to CRC as well as Vitus.
It sounds like it'll probably do the job just fine, and I'm glad to have gotten so much confirmation about this!
One thing, though- can I use TranzX and PNW rebuild kits on the Brand X? Just curious, in case the Brand X ones happen to be out of stock at the time I need them...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.