Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I'm a junior studying electrical engineering and its about that time for me to start figuring out where I'm going to go to grad school since I'm going to be getting my Phd.

I really want to get into free ride biking but I havnt had alot of chance to do so as there is nothing that warrants the purchase of a free ride bike within a few hours drive (I'm in lexington kentucky at UK). I did do some DH stuff this summer at Snowshoe ski resort in WV and I fell in love.

So basically I have two criteria that my grad school must meet:
it must have a sustainable energy research facility (specifically solar energy)
and it must be relatively close to some sick free ride and down hill stuff.
it can even be out of the states as long as the country speeks english (I'm not bilingual)

So if you could live anywhere with sick free ride trails, where would it be? It would be great to get an idea of general area so i can start looking at schools in that area.

Thanks
Pedro

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
specifically solar energy???:confused: :confused: ...man you have to do your own research.....

some good schools...
Boulder
Chico
Santa Barbara

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
I think Arizona (state or U not sure which) has a solar energy program and some super riding for sure.
Also check out U colorado coulder..they have many collaborations with Nasa and am sure you could find something cool there.

I will say, pick the school that has the very best program you can get into. Just make sure that all the ones you apply to are fairly close to some good playground.

If you want, pick your top five schools and then ask us what kind of riding one might find in these places. This could help narrow your search down a little.

Good luck bro!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check out Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu).

I am a current grad student in the ME department. There is a lot of biking in the area. The school owns its own ski resort with a downhill and ds course on it. There are also miles of trails on campus ranging from xc to jumps, bridges, and teeter-totters. In the past the school has hosted collegiate races on the xc trails as well as gravity events on the downhill couse. Also Marquette Mountain is only 2 hours away and the have lift serviced downhill. They had the Bike Magazine Monster Park there a couple of years ago. There are also miles of freeride trails on Benson grade.

·
Registered
445 Posts
UBC in Vancouver would fit your criteria (assuming it has your field of study)
2-3 hours from whistler, an hour from the Shore
heaven!

It is a large school though so I'm sure it would have a program/field for you.

I'm considering it for undergrad (even though I'm in California) along with Stanford, the UC schools, Harvey Mudd, USC, etc.

UCSB has great riding nearby i've heard (Santa Barbara), and UCSC (Santa Cruz) is pretty near to me and there's some good riding in the mountains. No lifts at either though.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I can tell you know that if you are going to grad school don't think for a second you are going to have any time and especially if you are going into engineering. I am working on my MS as we speak and I work 70-80 hrs during the week so I can have the weekend off. But alas, you will have 3 months of summer (also if you have a teaching assitantship that is based on 12months, you will be getting paid to ride. It will be well worth it, but that is 5-6 years on top of the undergrad that like everyother student, YOUR BROKE. All I can say is I am graduating in May and finally I will have some MONEY!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
You can look at UT in Knoxville. There are some really great DH/FR trails out there (Windrock) only like 15 miles from the school. Also you won't be all that far away from where you are now. Not sure if the school meets your academic requirements though.

You will have some time for riding while in Grad school but not a lot. I worked really hard while in Grad school, but I always had a rule that I took Saturday off. Grad school is definitely harder that undergrad.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
The BobCats......:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
yeah damn right.

im in my first year at MSU and there is alot of amazing singletrack and whatnot, but theres not too much crazy freeride stuff

theres a nice lil dj set and bmx track tho which is pretty sweet.

theres almost no urban on campus tho, which sucks. gotta work on the flatland ****.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
if you know or are willing to learn German. Germany is leading the pack on that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks alot guys. UBC is looking very appealing. It seems to be a pretty highly ranked school and does have some labs doing research on solar panels. And not to mention the location is pretty kick ass

Zonk0u said:
if you know or are willing to learn German. Germany is leading the pack on that kind of stuff.
Is there alot of riding in Germany?
I'm actually going to be spending my entire summer there this summer working in a research laboratory in berlin. I might try to look at some schools while I'm over there

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
poff said:
UC Berkeley should be the ONE and ONLY, if you can get in of course. It is ranked #2 in the US, plus you cannot beat the riding.
Sorry but the riding in most of the BAY if good is illegal! So CAL POLY is a better choice on riding. The school is regarded as one of the best and was the 4th hardest to get into in the NATION last year! Look at it and see not sure about the solar thing but there is a company in town that has grown about 70% per year over the last 8 years or so and the specialize in SOLAR stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We do not have FR trails here they are DH only, being able to brake and hang loose off camber corners will save you. Riding ladders can be done on concrete out fornt of your apartment!!!:p

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
probably not the greatest school, but Chico State is a sustainable school...not sure on the research facility part...

oh, and the riding around here speaks for itself...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.