Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in the market to purchase a new bike and would greatly appreciate any thoughts/experiences anyone wouldn’t mind sharing.

I have read numerous posts discussing various 29er bikes and see a wide range of opinions and was hoping that in explaining what I am looking for might get some valuable input.

A little info about what I am looking for:

29er: I know I want to go with a 29er – I just like the feel and generally find them more comfortable.

Trails: I prefer XC riding that isn’t super technical (think great divide trail like). I have done some very short touring (e.g., 5 days) and am looking to do more of this and longer tours given my increased time flexibility.

Touring and Dog: I like to go with a light equipment load but am looking to begin touring with a medium sized dog (~40 lbs) I will be getting in the near future (I previously used a springer device for a dog to run beside me on more tame trails). I would be primarily interested in bringing this dog along with me on offroad tours. I am thinking about going with a BOB ibex trailer and a springer like attachment to haul the dog and allow the dog to run along at slower speeds. As such I am not trying to break any speed records though I really do enjoy going fast on my own.

Initial thoughts:
Bikes I have been considering include Moots ybb, Moots xz, Gary Fisher Superfly 100, Cannondale Flash, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Specialized Epic marathoner, Pivot Mach 429. Cost within reason is not the largest issue. I am currently probably leaning towards the Moots ybb, xz or cannondale flash.

Questions:
Any other thoughts on other bikes I may wish to consider?

Any thoughts on these bikes for my purposes?

Does anyone have experience doing offroad touring with a dog and would you have any recommendations?

Some of my concerns:
Carbon fiber: I am concerned about using a carbon frame due to crash/frame integrity concerns. However, my general reading is that these have become much more stable and resistant to impact over the last few years. Is this something I should be concerned with (I also see that many companies offer a frame replacement policy where after an accident the frame can be purchased at a reduced cost).

Suspension: I also have concerns about full suspension. I have always had a hardtail mountain bike. Full suspension is very appealing to me for the increased smooth ride. However, the trade offs (maintenance, weight, etc.) are less appealing to me, although some of those trade offs are less intrusive for me (e.g., weight) because I am not a racer. Don’t get me wrong I like going fast… but the increased overall long-term comfort (esp) for touring may trump this, despite increased maintenance/possible problems. Might anyone be able to weigh in on these issues in the context of my interests?

Any other concerns I should be thinking about?

Thank you for any input!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dogs and E-Bob

Wheels,

I can give you some advice about taking your dog along with a E-Bob trailer.
My wife and I purchased one just for that very reason.
We mainly use in on the tame rails to trail Deschutes River trail in north central Oregon.
It's a good ride when the single tracks are snowed in or muddy.
We like to take the dogs along in the fall, winter, spring time. However on our 8-11 mile ride up the canyon the dogs will naturally slow to their own steady pace. We don't push them to go faster. The trailer works great as they take turns riding in it on the way back. It might look silly but they love it and who cares.
I think you will find your need to add some extended sides as it is too hard to keep all there paws and tail on board with out it and it gives them something to lean against so they don't have to lay down if they don't want to.
I used some chromed wire shelving panels and bent it in the front to fit the E-bob and just zip tied it in place. A rubber mat is on the bottom for a non-slip surface.
They don't move around too much as they are wanting to rest. You don't even know there on board. I really like the single wheel and suspension on the Ebob.
A photo shows my grand daughter and a dog going for a ride around the drive way but would not recommend it (as the label clearly points out) for kids. I think it also mentions animals but with my mods I do it. If you ever take them on a a long 4 mile plus tour on gravel make sure you have some booties for their feet. This gravel will wear their pads off and can do permanent damage. Being a type of sled dog these guys like to pull. Booties are another area where it pays to do some research, we use the type that search a rescue dogs use. They stay on the foot.

As you can see I have been using the EBob with a Enduro SL which is way overkill for this type of riding of course. I have a new Sultan 29er but haven't rigged up the trailer with it yet so no comparisons.

Hope this helps
Jack

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great thread! I've got a Sultan on the way and will be taking my 30lb bull terrier along on some rides. I'm trying to figure out the best way to tether him to the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jack – thank you for your thoughtful response and pics!

The BOB trailers seem to work nicely for this. I came across this travel journal earlier which is what sparked my interest in it – it was good fun reading – thought you might appreciate it:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/boyanddog

Thank you for suggestions regarding the mods on the trailer and the foot booties – what brand makes the search and rescue ones that you use?

Do you ever take the dogs or the trailer alone on single track? I know they market the trailer as being compatible with this type of riding but how have you found it to work if you have used it in this capacity?

A Sultan!! Pretty cool! I hope you are enjoying it.

Jake – glad to see there are other folk looking to include dogs!

For tethering I have heard good things about bikerdog: http://www.bikerdog.com/
And had good luck previously with the springer: http://www.springerusa.com/

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wheels,

Great Alaska adventure story! Certainly more than I want to try but does get me thinking.
A couple things John in the story mentioned is how the E-Bob Wobbled when his dog would stand. I noticed the same thing as the dog is just trying to keep his balance which you can feel when riding. After I put up my side extensions my dog just leaned against and the wobble stopped. It also helps them rest.
Also noticed some photos of the dog booties chaffing the dogs leg. I noticed his boots where nice ones but kind of short.
Here is the link for the ones we use: https://www.neopaws.com/catalog/sum...p-1908.html?osCsid=5lu725jate983c4nuf1036id66 They come up higher on the leg. Make sure you get them on secure as you don't want to back track to find one if they kick a loose one off.

I have a springer but found it impossible on a single track as you have to lengthen the rope to let the dog run behind and then it just get tangled in the wheel. I just trained my dog to stay right behind my back tire. He wants to run ahead on a single track but then he gets in the way. Running behind I always can stop and hook him to my bungee leash when we run into others on the trail. He is harmless but others don't know that and it's the right thing to do as a dog owner.
On the rail to trail grade we just run the bungee leash and I loosely hold it on my wrist or around the grip. The bungee leash is a must have. I like the leash better on this trail as it lets him have his own path and he's not stuck running in the Center of the road. (uneven surface) This rail to trail has no motorized vehicles. This trail is famous for rattlesnakes so the leash also protects him from getting into trouble.
I think the springer or biker dog is the way to go when cars are around.
I haven't used my E-Bob on a single track as they are always shorter rides and easier on the paws.
The biker dog looks like it stays out of the way of your heel better than the Springer, but might be a problem mounting it to some frames. On the Springer if your dog decides to stop and say take dump, if he is a big guy he can spin the whole springer around on your seat tube.
Also one day we were riding along, a squirrel crossed our path and my 65 lb Samoyed decided he was going to chase it. My back tire started to go sideways rather than forward. Quite a shock. I guess that's why I like the bungeed leash as I can let go if I have to.
Better a squirrel than a grizzly bear that the fellow in the story ran into. Yikes.
Jack

·
Registered
63 Posts
My LBS mentioned that there's some sort of bolt-on device, that you tether the dog to, that wraps around behind the rear wheel, which keeps him trailing directly behind the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts