Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a Giant Yukon and I ride 50/50 road and trail (soft and hard trails). I have been looking for the best tire to suit these needs. These are the three that I have narrowed it down to. I realize that even these three have some substantial differences and uses, but keeping the 50/50 idea in mind, which would you choose? I'm hoping to get some inside information on each tire from people who have used them...

Hutchinson Python Gold Elite
WTB Nano Raptor
Panaracer Fire XC

Any analysis of these three items would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
CityRoamer

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd stay away from the WTBs, I had some and they were fine on hardpack or mud, but in loose stuff they were terrible.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
CityRoamer said:
Hi,

I own a Giant Yukon and I ride 50/50 road and trail (soft and hard trails). I have been looking for the best tire to suit these needs. These are the three that I have narrowed it down to. I realize that even these three have some substantial differences and uses, but keeping the 50/50 idea in mind, which would you choose? I'm hoping to get some inside information on each tire from people who have used them...

WTB Nano Raptor
Panaracer Fire XC

Thanks,
CityRoamer
There are no tires that work great in all conditions - especially paved and dirt. The Nanos and Pythons are about your best choice though they are not the best for extreme (deep and loose, mud) trails.
The Fire is not a good choice on the road.

·
almost there!
341 Posts
I'll second Shiggy...

For 50/50 road/trail go with either the WTB or Python but definitely not the Fire XC. Although my experience with the Python is that they are a great tire for both road and trail as long as conditions are dry (which is when I prefer to go off-road anyways). If conditions are too wet I stay on the roads (for training and commuting).

·
Registered
629 Posts
I must be strange, but I like the Fire for road. I have about 750 road miles on my fire (old hardtail that is sad to not see the trails) and it still has plent of tread. I just put 50 psi in it and it rolls well for me.
If I decide to go off road, it will work well in a variety of conditions as an all-around tire.
Call me strange, but it is cheap and lasts well and has been a solid tire choice for my rides for 4 years.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Fire XC gets my vote too. been using mine on road a lot and they have lasted for ages - set hard they roll over fine. Set too soft then they do have a tendency to suck into the little holes in the tarmac.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Your best choice is ...

CityRoamer said:
Hi,

WTB Nano Raptor
Panaracer Fire XC

Thanks,
CityRoamer
Your best choice is to buy a pair of trail tires AND a pair of slicks for the road.

But a good compromise is the Fire XC. It has low rolling resistance and wears pretty well. It's a great performer on dry trails and clears well after you leave the mud sections.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts