Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year while walking from building to building at work a Grackle swooped repeatedly at my head and actually scrateched my head with it's feet. He would not stop so I ended up having to run away like a pansy with my hands over my head. Many people saw this and the joke in the office was that maybe the Grackle though my big shaven head was an egg.

This morning, while riding through a parking lot on the way to work, a grackle flew up out of some landscaping and smacked right into my head tube. He hit the ground hard, was dazed for a couple seconds, squaked at me and flew up into a palm (no I did not do it on purpose).
I am normally a total animal softee, but grackles are mean as hell and I rode away smiling. I hope he doesn't seek revenge. I just want to call it even.

Anyone else have a bird incident while riding?

·
wowarizona.com
863 Posts
hmmmmm…maybe nighthawk?

skinny-tire said:
Occasionally at night, I'll come across one of those really small owls sitting in the middle of the trail. Scares the crap out of me.
I'm pretty sure the bird of which you speak is a 'Lesser Nighthawk', a member of the nightjar family. You describe it's typical behavior and other than burrowing owls (whiich usually have a small telltale mound or excavation in a streambank) I can't think of any other bird that would fit.

Hope you don't mind the info! :)

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
C.J. said:
I'm pretty sure the bird of which you speak is a 'Lesser Nighthawk', a member of the nightjar family. You describe it's typical behavior and other than burrowing owls (whiich usually have a small telltale mound or excavation in a streambank) I can't think of any other bird that would fit.

Hope you don't mind the info! :)
Maybe. I never actually did any research (I think somebody told me they were owls). They are pretty common out in the Phoenix Mt. Preserve.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
chongoman said:
Last year while walking from building to building at work a Grackle swooped repeatedly at my head and actually scrateched my head with it's feet. He would not stop so I ended up having to run away like a pansy with my hands over my head. Many people saw this and the joke in the office was that maybe the Grackle though my big shaven head was an egg.

This morning, while riding through a parking lot on the way to work, a grackle flew up out of some landscaping and smacked right into my head tube. He hit the ground hard, was dazed for a couple seconds, squaked at me and flew up into a palm (no I did not do it on purpose).
I am normally a total animal softee, but grackles are mean as hell and I rode away smiling. I hope he doesn't seek revenge. I just want to call it even.

Each spring I always end up with at least one grackle pair nesting in my big date palm in the back yard. Once established they will dive bomb me, my dogs, and my cat. Nasty birds!!! This year I managed to scare them away from nesting and it's been a peaceful kindgom.

·
wowarizona.com
863 Posts
It's a goatsucker!!!!!!!!

I checked all my notes and books.
It's a GOATSUCKER!!!! Actually, I was wrong in my nighthawk thought, but it is a Common Poorwill Phalaenoptilus nuttallii, (a member of the Goatsucker family, as are the nighthawks). It is the only night bird in our area that 'hawks insects' (sails out to grab insects to return to the ground/perch after capture) from a ground position. As the name implies, it is common.

None of our owls 'hawk insects' from a ground position, although the Burrowing Owl is commonly seen during the day, perched on ground or a post.

skinny-tire said:
Maybe. I never actually did any research (I think somebody told me they were owls). They are pretty common out in the Phoenix Mt. Preserve.

·
Chilling out
6,038 Posts
i'm a usual softree for the little people of the world too, but after living in Grackle Migration Zone Three since '99 all I can say is that the only Good Grackle is a Dead Grackle*. Then end up coating the power lines, phone lines, trees, buildings, etc., with their bodies around here twice a year.

And anything nearby gets coated in grackle poo.

* for the record I don't really want to wipe them out genocidally wise, but it sure would be nice to distract them from hanging around anywhere I'm living. Having Purple Martin houses seems like the best tactic right now as those sweet little feathered creatures will chase away the grackles (amongst other larger birdlings).

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
chongoman said:

I have had no bird issues as I pay tribute to these flying pests from hell. It is well worth it. Those suckers are bad a$$!! You better start paying tribute yourself, or at least wear a helmet at all times.

Please see this for some Grackle fun:

·
Black and Sticky
771 Posts
Grackles are tame...

...compared to mockingbirds. They are the state bird of Texas for a reason. We have feral cats all over our neighborhood and the mockingbirds are constantly dive bombing and giving them grief, even when there aren't any nests present. They seem to do it just to have fun and show the cats who's in charge. But for the ultimate in bird speed check out: www.flixxy.com/skydiving-falcon.htm

Bob

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
Ha! Great visual, Chongoman! That bird wanted a piece of you! At least you got some laughs out of the other one smacking into your ht. Grackles are definitely mean birds. We've never been bothered by birds while riding, but we've seen/heard big owls swoop over us at night on the trails. Its pretty impressive when you hear a big wwhhhoooosh and a huge shadow come flying over you.

What i hate is nailing a bee on the road bike. It's usually on the face or sunglasses. Sometimes they end up in your helmet or on your sunglasses or helmet straps clinging on for dear life. :rolleyes:

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
There is a mockingbird that likes to dive bomb me on my walk to the gym.
Little [email protected]!
I did also have a pigeon smack into my helmet while riding once.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
yetisurly said:
Campagnolo has brought us 3 almost dead grackles from our backyard in somekind of primitive offering to us.
Good kitty

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.