Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all :)

Since my current front brake caliper is dead, (Leaking brake fluid), i would like to go get a new one.

I am currently looking at two different options: (Caliper + lever)

1. Shimano MT400 - 32$

2. Shimano Deore M6000 - 58 $

What do you get for the extra 26$, and which would you think is worth my money?

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Zee.

In a cost/piston sense, they're an excellent value.

...i'd get whichever one comes with the same lever as your other brake.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Thanks for your reply, but the Zee's are quite a bit above my budget. I dont look to spend a cent more than the 58$ on the M6000
I'm surprised that a leaking caliper isn't a warranty-able thing. They usually fail right away or never.

But i'll repeat myself... get the one that matches the other lever. mt400 is a 2 finger lever and deore is 1 finger. You can't mix them without it feeling super weird.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm surprised that a leaking caliper isn't a warranty-able thing. They usually fail right away or never.

But i'll repeat myself... get the one that matches the other lever. mt400 is a 2 finger lever and deore is 1 finger. You can't mix them without it feeling super weird.
Yea, the bike is over 5 years old now, and the caliper just recently started leaking. I didnt notice it as first, as the lever still felt nice and firm, but the other day i got suspicious (my brakes have stopped working more times than i can remember) and checked the pads. I found clear signs of oil on the back of one of the pads, and decided it was time for a new front brake.
I think i will follow your advice and get the MT-400. :)

Btw. Out of curiosity, how does the MT-400 compare to the br-m395? I can't quite figure out if it is supposed to be better or worse.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Loads of people have mixed and matched shimano levers and callipers without problems. Ive even heard of people using shimano levers with magura callipers. I'd go for the deore calliper myself.
Kes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.