Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a thomson elite post and I know I can save about 50gm without spending the earth.
So which do I go for, a carbon or aluminium post?
Thanks for your replies and/or suggestions.
Budget - about $65 or £50
Kes

P. S. I have no problem with Chinese products as long as they aren't knock-offs like those ritchey ones you see everywhere

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There's quite a few good suggestions in this 'best under $50' thread https://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/best-weight-weenie-components-under-$50-1094616.html

It's still a good idea to avoid the single bolt/clamp seatposts, like the Bontrager knock offs. My kid has a year on 2 BXT seatposts (mtb and road), no issues and a big kid (6'4"+ and 160#).
Always be careful with your torque values (and use carbon assembly paste), 4Nm seems to be plenty for all my stuff, even for road bars, 3Nm seems fine for mtb bars. The Nashbar carbon post is not as light, and a little more $ than the ebay china options, but it has a longer clamp surface which seems like it should be easier on carbon rail saddles, - I have one of those with a chinese carbon rail saddle and it's holding up well. Nashbar seems to be a B brand you can trust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.