Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm considering a Mojo SL for my new ride in 2009. I have 100% confidence that the frame is plenty strong but my ONLY concern with a carbon frame would be if the bike came down hard on a rock during a fall. I've put some pretty ugly gouges in aluminum frames ( not enough to dent, just deeeeep scratches) and I'm afraid that a nasty gouge would comprimise the structural integrity of a carbon frame.

What do you guys think?

·
Has a cycling disorder
536 Posts
Well you could try my custom shaped Frameskin paint protection film or you can hand cut something like it. That will certainly reduce the potential for scratches, chips and rub.

You could also throw yourself under the bike just before you crash, but you'll go through more mercurochrome and band-aids that way :0).

Alan

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not to worried about stone chips or chain rub etc. I'm more concerned whether a deep scratch/gouge would comprimise the integrity of the frame. I seem to remember reading if you put a deep scratch in a carbon handlebar it should be replaced, does the same hold true for a carbon frame?

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Mojo...

I had a large rock jump up from the front wheel on a downhill run at high speed and slam into the bottom of the downtube.
It made a small crater in the carbon with some fairly deep gouges. I ran some epoxy resin into the hole and taped over it with another layer of Alans frameskin material after the resin was set.
No problems at all.
The frame material [carbon composite] is very strong and quite thick...not like carbon handlebars at all, which are quite thin. I have no doubts about the strength of the Ibis Mojo frame, I know a fair bit about carbon composites and layups etc, and the Mojo is a very well made and strong structure.

Rainman.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rainman said:
I had a large rock jump up from the front wheel on a downhill run at high speed and slam into the bottom of the downtube.
It made a small crater in the carbon with some fairly deep gouges. I ran some epoxy resin into the hole and taped over it with another layer of Alans frameskin material after the resin was set.
No problems at all.
The frame material [carbon composite] is very strong and quite thick...not like carbon handlebars at all, which are quite thin. I have no doubts about the strength of the Ibis Mojo frame, I know a fair bit about carbon composites and layups etc, and the Mojo is a very well made and strong structure.

Rainman.
Cool- thats what I was looking for- thanks for the reply.

Mike

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, and I am open to any other voices in this:
I think that the outer weave of almost any carbon bike is done at 90 degree angles and is there for aesthetics and for abrasion resistance. Damage to this outer layer is not necessarily catestrophic as the load bearing layers deeper within are still protected.I think you'd have to dig fairly deep for this to be an issue.
Fish's framskin is also highly recommended as it comes pre-cut and ready to go. I went the 3M Clear-Bra route. I had a little experience with the stuff and applied it myself. even still, it ran about $35 for the ClearBra and took me hours to cut and try and fail and eventually get it together. Fish's deal might be a little pricier than my homespun set-up, but consider the time it will take you. If I were to bill myself out at my overtime rate I would need to complete the project in about 10-15 minutes to make up the difference I paid vs. Fishboy's kit. It's took me several hours to get it right.

·
half tread will travel
240 Posts
I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, and I am open to any other voices in this:
I think that the outer weave of almost any carbon bike is done at 90 degree angles and is there for aesthetics and for abrasion resistance. Damage to this outer layer is not necessarily catestrophic as the load bearing layers deeper within are still protected.I think you'd have to dig fairly deep for this to be an issue

there is double protection when you consider the mojo sl with the outer carbon layer plus the polyurethane hockey stick paint which may also help defect some minor injury to the frame...good luck...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a slow speed endo with the bike and part of me(clipped in) coming down on a rock all at one point on the swingarm. Cracked 'er good. I was hoping it was just the cosmetic layer but the boys at Ibis said probably not, and the later autopsy confirmed it went all the way through.

I was able to finish the ride, but it was a costly crash. I'm pretty sure Aluminum or Ti would have had a pretty nasty dent as well. I do wonder whether this was a fluke or a sign of things to watch out for. Time will tell. The bike is so much fun to ride that I think it's worth the risk, and I'm guessing the risk is pretty low.

Attachments

·
Unpredictable
2,213 Posts
Didn't Hans say something about testing the frame with a baseball bat or similar? I have had some pretty big rock hits and crashes with the only chips being on the toptube (2 little ones) and near the chain suck guard (Mojo not SL).

·
Registered
38 Posts
After sending me a new frame (defect) I was told to destroy my old one. Ive taken sledge hammers and such to it and it took a significant amount of force to create any severe damage. Most hits only resulted in chipped paint. After needing my frame replaced almost immediately after getting it I was quite worried about how it would stand up. I am not anymore.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
Rainman said:
No problems at all.

Rainman.
I added a bash guard made out of a road bike fender, for my downtube and have the clear tape on the normal places, and Lizard skins on both chain stays. Just in case. Peace of mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.