Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically this heavy door slammed on the rear of my bikes frame and left a nice square scratch. It seems it past through the clear coat and possibly the first layer of paint. My frame is a carbon frame, luckily it didn't go deep enough to see the fibers. Would a scratch like this weaken the carbon fibers over time or no? My bike's frame is red and now the scratch shows a lighter shade of red, but it's dull. Is there any way to fix this or smooth it out and add a clear coat to it? My goal is for it to basically disappear if possible. Would turtle wax scratch repair kit help? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1557463_10152196068004055_5803004912466311385_n.jpg

·
Registered
270 Posts
My advise would be to get used to it. Rocks kicked up from the front tire have put at least 10-20 chips in my paint in less than a year. Then the chips start spider cracks. I contacted my manufacturer about it, and they said as long as the carbon fiber underneath is not spongy, it should be ok. I don't know how I'd keep a carbon fiber frame out where I live without lots of chips. Then again, I'm not sure I'd go for another carbon fiber frame because of this issue.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah same here. After I ride this bike to the ground, I'm not going for a carbon frame again. It seems carbon is strong to a certain degree, but once there is a bad hit who knows how long it'll last. Luckily I dodged a bullet with this chipped paint. As you can see, it didn't go far down. You think only the clear coat got chipped off? There is an edge to the scratch as you can see. Would clear coat do that, or does the edging of the scratch indicate I went past the first layer of paint?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Don't worry about it. The first scratch is always the worst!!

My old Y33 took so many hits to it, and it was always fine. There won't be any issues with frame strength or longevity from that damage you have there.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Tap a coin along the frame and around the chipped area. If the sound is consistent throughout then no worries of carbon being weakened underneath.

From the looks of it seems rather minor - just looks like clear coat flaked off which is something that will eventually happen anyways if you ride hard enough, however if your goal is to maintain a showroom pristine bike then I guess you will unfortunately have to succumb to your OCD worries and lose sleep over this.

I would suggest using your money to buy beer instead of wasting on turtle wax. You will feel much more relaxed after consuming the beer rather than scratching your head wondering why the turtle wax repair idea didn't work. Good luck

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have had several carbon bikes and none have ever failed me.

I would slap some clear nail polish on that little hiccup and go ride the darn thing.

3 bikes ago I started a new tradition when I would get a new bike.

Take it to the trail, for it's first ride and just push it over and let it take it's first hit, it's the only one that hurts....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had several carbon bikes and none have ever failed me.

I would slap some clear nail polish on that little hiccup and go ride the darn thing.

3 bikes ago I started a new tradition when I would get a new bike.

Take it to the trail, for it's first ride and just push it over and let it take it's first hit, it's the only one that hurts....
I guess I'll try using some clear nail polish on it. Do I dab on the chipped paint, or should I apply it normally? Hopefully after it does, it's not so obvious that there's clear nail polish there lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Having talked to Carbon Repair Guys about it. The chance of your frame failing because of a little nick is impossible. The fibres have to be cut in order for it to fail. I was worried and emailed a repair guy with ten pictures of nicks and scrapes all worse than that and he said to not worry about any of them. The carbon get fill and paint to make it look perfect. I would say that the two carbon frames I have are stronger than any aluminium. They have taken way worse rocks and such than any aluminum.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
You should see how scratched up my carbon frame is. Just means I ride it. Embrace gouges, rubs and general abrasions - its a mtb bike!

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Just my .02 but this is how I see it.
Turtle wax kit (17.99) + OCD = moderate happiness
Nail polish (.99) + lagunitas IPA (7.99) = 10.00 in the bank + general feeling of contentment
I like the way you think second option would be my choice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
186 Posts
You should see how scratched up my carbon frame is. Just means I ride it. Embrace gouges, rubs and general abrasions - its a mtb bike!
^^^^^^^
What smithrider said. My carbon frame is beat to #*% $ and has been for the past three years. Still going strong.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there a product I can use though? I'm thinking of sanding a bit of it. I use to do autobody years ago, but I'm not up to date with the products available. What I might do is just wet sand it removing the clear coat around the area slightly and see if I can smooth out the edge of the chipped paint. What product is good to polish it after sanding?

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
i have never owned a carbon frame so I can't help you there. But I have read through this thread and the vast majority responding are saying it's okay, don't worry about it. before you do anything else that may void your frame warranty, you may want to take a step back from the frame and just ride.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Is there a product I can use though? I'm thinking of sanding a bit of it. I use to do autobody years ago, but I'm not up to date with the products available. What I might do is just wet sand it removing the clear coat around the area slightly and see if I can smooth out the edge of the chipped paint. What product is good to polish it after sanding?
its a mountain bike... let it go..

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
There is absolutely no way you will prevent your chain stays or underside of your down tube from getting scratched up unless you apply a thick layer of helicopter tape. Chain stays are some of the most prone areas to getting gouged as you pilot your way through technical terrain.

Also, you may be sanding away some of the top clear coat which is a form of protection for the carbon underneath (I think). It also now looks worse than the small chip did before.

Worrying if a scratch is actually a crack due to damage is understandable and I am guilty of worrying about that from time to time, but you have to let go of the aesthetic aspect of damage on a MTB if you are going to enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Frame is completely ok. Clear coat chips on an aluminum frame or carbon frame. Presumably you use the bike where there are rocks? I am surprised you didn't use lizard skin or similar under down tube, chain stay, and other areas if you were concerned with his type of thing?

Use any car polishing compound and you can remove the scratches you out into your bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts