Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
aka Jesse Palmer
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my hub was catching while freewheeling, so I took it apart and cleaned out some little chucks of metal, wait thats not good!? Anyway I contacted HopeUSA and he said that it will be covered under warranty, but I have to send the hub back to him for replacement. I greased it all back up and rode it again, and it seems to work fine for now (at least until I chip some more off the ratchet ring) :rolleyes:

Should I ask for a Pro2 or another Bulb? Will I be able to lace the wheel back up with the same spokes and a Pro2 hub?

Attachments

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
They will probably be able to thread a new ratchet ring into the hub shell and set you back up with your existing wheel parts. It may be up to you if you want ship the whole wheel in or just the hub.

·
aka Jesse Palmer
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tscheezy said:
They will probably be able to thread a new ratchet ring into the hub shell and set you back up with your existing wheel parts. It may be up to you if you want ship the whole wheel in or just the hub.
The hope USA dealer said they usually break the hub trying to get the old ring out, so you usually get a new one, and they have to give hope the broken one. Do you know if the Pro2 would be more durable than this one? I'm pretty disappointed, hoped it would be a nice no hassle part.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The Pro II does have less engagement points than the Blulb (24 vs 36), so the individual ramps may be bigger. Not sure this was the issue though since only the tips of your ratchets sheared off. I don't think this is a common thing, based on the infrequency of posts like this (any others at all?). Hope is very good about fixing this stuff too, which I like, but I do agree that once you have a bad taste in your mouth, it's tough to get out.

The good news is that if your spokes aren't too beat up, you should be able to reuse them if you get a Pro II back. The right flange spoke circle diameter is 2mm larger on the Pro 2, but it still results in the same spoke lengths.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I had this problem soon after I got my hub about 6 years ago and it was taken care of under warranty. I just sent the hub back and had it rebuilt later. The only other problem is a broken spring under one of the pawls. Just a little snapped off and there is a spring and pawl kit available from Hope which I'm going to get even thogh it still works fine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
im sure hope have stopped making the bulb?

hope will bend over backwards to sort you out, how old is the hub?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts