Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was applying some frame protectors to my new bike (haven't even gotten a true "maiden voyage" on it) I noticed this nice chunk out of the paint around the crown of my fork. I'm assuming it happened while the shop was assembling it - it's in a really odd spot so I don't blame them for not noticing it. I certainly didn't notice it before I took it home. Now that it's there, is it something to be worried about? It's my first carbon fork so I'm not sure if I need to be concerned.

Is there anything I can do to stop it from chipping further?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Looks like a paint chip to me. It won’t continue to chip. I have had many chips on carbon fork. No issue as long as it is just paint. Would say touch it up but that is a hard color to match.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a paint chip to me. It won't continue to chip. I have had many chips on carbon fork. No issue as long as it is just paint. Would say touch it up but that is a hard color to match.
Thanks. I'm going to try to find something close to touch up with. It's right under the headset in a pretty invisible area so even a non-perfect match will be fine. Jamis doesn't stock touch-up paint but I'm sure I can find an RAL color that comes close. I'm concerned about further chipping 'cuz it looks like it's getting a little lighter around the edges of that chip already.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to try to find something close to touch up with. It's right under the headset in a pretty invisible area so even a non-perfect match will be fine. Jamis doesn't stock touch-up paint but I'm sure I can find an RAL color that comes close. I'm concerned about further chipping 'cuz it looks like it's getting a little lighter around the edges of that chip already.
If you find the exact color it will likely look worse. So if you do, great, but if not, a little clear nail polish/ epoxy will shore up the damage.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I spoke to Jamis, who told me to contact the shop I got it from. They're going to go out of their way to put in for a new fork - which is insane. But looking at it in better light from underneath (and with my camera lens wiped clean), it's pretty apparent this is a pant defect/bubble that chipped off. I'm not too worried about it and will still ride it 'til whatever happens happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.