Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I would suggest that you take it to a local shop that deals with carbon. I have a carbon road bike that I broke a spoke on the rear wheel ,I was 2/3 miles from home so I rode it. After getting home I looked at the chain stay ,the tire had worn a divot in it. I took to a shop ,they looked at it ,said don't worry about it. Still riding it 10 plus years later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I would suggest that you take it to a local shop that deals with carbon. I have a carbon road bike that I broke a spoke on the rear wheel ,I was 2/3 miles from home so I rode it. After getting home I looked at the chain stay ,the tire had worn a divot in it. I took to a shop ,they looked at it ,said don't worry about it. Still riding it 10 plus years later.
I already sent some emails to get some quotes for the repair. One place responded saying 600 for the repair without paint finish so I’m thinking I can find somewhere cheaper here in Southern California but yes it does seem like my problem isn’t so big since carbon isn’t so hard to fix, especially my carbon frame which isn’t horribly damaged

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
My 2010-vintage frame has a similar rather obvious hole in the top layer of carbon from cable rub.

A close inspection revealed the top layer was for 'display purposes only' and there was a completely different carbon layup underneath which was undamaged.

Modern bikes that have paint instead of clear coat might be a bit thinner though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have you ever requested a paypal refund? I've done a few and I've never been denied even when the seller refused the refund. Paypal is very biased towards the buyer. It's their business model to be that way. In my experience they really don't give a rip about details. Show them the ad, and say you don' want the item because the seller wasn't honest. That's all I've ever had to do. It always takes a little time to process especially when the seller doesn't participate which has happened to me, but that only slows things down a bit. This is a an open and shut case as far as my experience with paypal goes. Show the ad, show pics of the cracks, wait for your refund. They'll make you post a tracking number for the return then you'll receive the refund as soon as it's received. That's their protocol. They will also shut down the sellers account until a dispute is settled which often gets the seller to ok the refund before they receive the return.
Oh yes, I did. I also had some dispute case where somene stole my money from my card (not so much because I had limit) and in both cases paypal does not give a F and I did not get my money back and customer care of paypal is useless. So I just deleted my account after all.

But it is OT. Hopefully OP will make his situation better.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Does the bike have internal cable routing on that tube? Possible to check with a borescope camera? It still might not show the damage, but it could confirm damage. Either way, that really doesn't look good, especially the second picture. Good example of why I'd never buy a used carbon MTB. Plenty of people do and have no issues, but it's not the area in life where I'd look to save money.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Oh yes, I did. I also had some dispute case where somene stole my money from my card (not so much because I had limit) and in both cases paypal does not give a F and I did not get my money back and customer care of paypal is useless. So I just deleted my account after all.

But it is OT. Hopefully OP will make his situation better.
Identiy theft, account hacks... that's a different ball game. I'm just talking about their refund policy for purchased goods. I dont' blame you for hating paypal, but the facts are they make buying goods safe. Anyway, I've been going on and on about refunds and OP paid cash. Paper money. I didn't know that was a thing anymore.

Sorry OP, you're fucd. Get that POS glued back together and never pay cash again. Spoiler alert, there are some real jaggoffs out there that will happily ripoff a Joey. The used market is a treasure trove, but if you don't know your ass from your elbow, you'll want a sales rep to sell you something shiny off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sorry OP, you're fucd. Get that POS glued back together and never pay cash again. Spoiler alert, there are some real jaggoffs out there that will happily ripoff a Joey. The used market is a treasure trove, but if you don't know your ass from your elbow, you'll want a sales rep to sell you something shiny off the showroom floor.
Yup, I look at that frame and can't believe someone would sell that, at least without many warnings. Most people buying a new Yeti aren't starving for cash. But here we are. Plenty of D-bags in the world.

·
@njcshreds
266 Posts
Second picture looks like an impact of some sort. Hard to tell in a photo, but it doesn't look good.

It is definitely fixable. I'd ask around / poke around for a good local carbon repair shop. I've had bikes come back that have been repaired by 'professionals' that were pretty amateur looking.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yeah, someone selling that for cash most likely knew exactly what they were doing. I hope you got a screaming deal.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Second picture looks like an impact of some sort. Hard to tell in a photo, but it doesn't look good.

It is definitely fixable. I'd ask around / poke around for a good local carbon repair shop. I've had bikes come back that have been repaired by 'professionals' that were pretty amateur looking.
I know we are just guessing, but it looks like he clamped it in a work stand too tight. All workstands should come with a warning never to clamp on the top tube.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Hello guys,
I have a huge concern about my used yeti 2021 SB150 I recently just bought.There is what seems to be a crack or chip on the frame. Upon doing more research about carbon frames, I found out that carbon frames can snap suddenly with out a warning usually if it is compromised. I want to know if this chip or crack should be a concern. I plan on racing my first enduro race next weekend and I wouldn’t want anything catastrophic to happen, please help 🙏
If you have not done anything, email these guys
[email protected]

41 - 56 of 56 Posts