Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
31,419 Posts
it actually looks to me like an impact. Could have been a rock, but could have been from the handlebar swinging around and impacting the frame, too. Looks like more of a blunt impact than a sharp, pointy one. I'd expect if it was clamping damage that there's be damage on both sizes of the tube, and for said damage to be more in the middle of the tube than where we see it, where there's less room for the clamp.

Not that it matters too much. Hope OP didn't pay too much for that bike. Last time I looked up carbon repair prices from a pro like Calfee, $300 or so got you a full repair plus a pretty solid repainting job.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,683 Posts
If you payed via paypal I would get a refund. Paypal is great when it comes to refunds. I would not ride it. Equipment failure is something you don't want to gamble with.
As the local Grammar Nazi, I encourage you to spell it 'paid.'

Thanks.

The correct past tense of the verb pay is paid, as long as the word is used in the financial or transactional sense. If the verb pay is used in a nautical sense, the correct form is payed.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
37,965 Posts
It’s a brand new 2021 bike bought used. Have you checked with Yeti for a crash replacement credit towards a new frame?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
IMO, a carbon frame without a strong warranty is something to avoid like hell.
Because carbon can vary so much I dont' agree. I've never bought a new carbon frame and I've yet to have a failure. I'm pretty hard on stuff too. I've crashed every carbon frame I've owned, some multiple times over a few years, and all were sold on for more use. The money I've saved is silly.

Carbon can take hits, but some frames tapper the tubes aggressively, or may have questionably quality. There are used carbon frames I wouldn't hesitate to buy, and there are new frames I wouldn't' because even with a warranty, who wants to deal with that? Always buy used with paypal. If someone sells you a cracked frame you thought only had paint chips, they will refund you. If you're worried about cracking it yourself, don't forget that most cracked frames will be "crash warrantied" meaning you'll pay nearly as much as the cost of a used frame. Maybe even more?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own a body shop and it’s not hard to repair carbon fiber, we do it allll the time. Anyway, shouldn’t you try contacting Yeti bro? I know Specialized has a lifetime warranty on their carbon frames. For the price you pay for a Coffee Mug ::cough cough:: sorry I mean Yeti, they should be able to repair it or send you a new frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
37,965 Posts
As the local Grammar Nazi, I encourage you to spell it 'paid.'

Thanks.

The correct past tense of the verb pay is paid, as long as the word is used in the financial or transactional sense. If the verb pay is used in a nautical sense, the correct form is payed.
I think he’s paid his dues just from this exchange alone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It’s a brand new 2021 bike bought used. Have you checked with Yeti for a crash replacement credit towards a new frame?
while I haven’t contacted yeti yet, I’ve been doing some research and it seems like the only thing I would get out of yeti is a crash replacement frame that would cost me around 1,800. So then it would make more sense to get the carbon repaired. I mean it’s worth a try contacting them, I could be wrong. Anybody know about yetis warranty?

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
while I haven’t contacted yeti yet, I’ve been doing some research and it seems like the only thing I would get out of yeti is a crash replacement frame that would cost me around 1,800. So then it would make more sense to get the carbon repaired. I mean it’s worth a try contacting them, I could be wrong. Anybody know about yetis warranty?
A warranty is typically only for the original owner and doesn't transfer.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
You are not entitled to crash replacement. A paypal refund is the no brainer option here. Not only is that your best option, that seller needs to learn a lesson. Send that shi! back with a fuc you very much letter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes. And if the refund will not be approved and the guy will send you fuc* you Tony back, I would just ride it and follow mainly the crack from the second photo. Carbon is not that fragile as it seems. Bikes are meant to be ridden, especially Enduro bikes meant to be ridden hard. Of course something can happen but if you want that bike to be shiny and without scratches, hang it on the wall. Just try to squeeze it around, tap it with some coin. If the touch will be more soft and sound different, you just need to repair it. Otherwise enjoy your bike and calm the f down. Take it easy.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Yes. And if the refund will not be approved and the guy will send you fuc* you Tony back, I would just ride it and follow mainly the crack from the second photo. Carbon is not that fragile as it seems. Bikes are meant to be ridden, especially Enduro bikes meant to be ridden hard. Of course something can happen but if you want that bike to be shiny and without scratches, hang it on the wall. Just try to squeeze it around, tap it with some coin. If the touch will be more soft and sound different, you just need to repair it. Otherwise enjoy your bike and calm the f down. Take it easy.
Have you ever requested a paypal refund? I've done a few and I've never been denied even when the seller refused the refund. Paypal is very biased towards the buyer. It's their business model to be that way. In my experience they really don't give a rip about details. Show them the ad, and say you don' want the item because the seller wasn't honest. That's all I've ever had to do. It always takes a little time to process especially when the seller doesn't participate which has happened to me, but that only slows things down a bit. This is a an open and shut case as far as my experience with paypal goes. Show the ad, show pics of the cracks, wait for your refund. They'll make you post a tracking number for the return then you'll receive the refund as soon as it's received. That's their protocol. They will also shut down the sellers account until a dispute is settled which often gets the seller to ok the refund before they receive the return.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,419 Posts
No, dude. This frame is very clearly compromised. It doesn't need an xray. Carbon has a very nice tendency to fail catastrophically when it's been slightly compromised. This bike is a death trap, quite literally.

You CAN nick frames up and still ride them fine. My wife had a 2010 Santa Cruz Blur with a gouge in the carbon near the rear dropout. No obvious delamination. Actually bought it used in that condition. Price we paid for it basically covered the parts and the frame was more or less a freebie, so we were willing to take that risk. Kept an eye on it. Used a silver sharpie to see if the damage would propagate. It never did in several years of riding the bike before she sold it. But that was a very different situation from the one in this thread. There's no question that there is crush damage.

I don't think I saw anywhere that OP actually used paypal. If so, then yeah, I'd demand a refund because the bike was misrepresented, unless the seller was pretty clear about the damage and OP just decided it was fine and paid up anyway. In that case, I'd repair.

OP may not be entitled to a crash replacement, but it's possible. Yeti could be nice and offer one, anyway. Wouldn't know unless you ask. I've asked manufacturers about this before buying one of their frames on the used market, and I've been surprised before.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts