Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I have a huge concern about my used yeti 2021 SB150 I recently just bought.There is what seems to be a crack or chip on the frame. Upon doing more research about carbon frames, I found out that carbon frames can snap suddenly with out a warning usually if it is compromised. I want to know if this chip or crack should be a concern. I plan on racing my first enduro race next weekend and I wouldn’t want anything catastrophic to happen, please help 🙏

·
Registered
855 Posts
Definitely looks like more than a superficial surface crack to me. I’d be concerned about that one.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,244 Posts
You're not racing THAT bike next weekend.

You should start research carbon repair.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I did a very interesting and entertaining stress test on CF, AL, Ti, and chrome-moly frames
the CF was the first one would not put one of my kids on
and I would agree; you should not ride that frame until at least an expert inspects it
also; repair might be the only safe option

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a very interesting and entertaining stress test on CF, AL, Ti, and chrome-moly frames
the CF was the first one would not put one of my kids on
and I would agree; you should not ride that frame until at least an expert inspects it
also; repair might be the only safe option
Thank you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
That needs x-raying to be sure. Can you see any loose fibres? If you tap it does it sound dull?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
That's not a crack, that's an impact or something crushed it. I have no doubt the carbon is delaminating from the inside.

·
Trail Rider
1,388 Posts
Yeah, don't Enduro race on that bike. Fortunately, carbon fiber is very repairable and shouldn't be too expensive.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
If you payed via paypal I would get a refund. Paypal is great when it comes to refunds. I would not ride it. Equipment failure is something you don't want to gamble with.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Now you have an idea as to 'why' Yeti frames are so light compared to many others. I would never ride a Yeti unless I was either super wealthy, or a poser. If you ride hard and cannot afford to buy a new frame every time to take a hit forget about Yeti. Evil frames, by comparison, though heavier, are, by FAR, stronger than nearly every other frame builder out there. I am not referring to the very early Evils from 8 years ago, but the revamped Evil Company products. If a frame will 'crack' like that in a bike clamp then, to me, it's trash. So that's really no excuse. I race and also ride A LOT and for many many miles per ride....usually I ride very hard, and I would never ride a Yeti....and this doesn't even touch upon their linkage woes once you put some hard miles on them.

...Get rid of it and buy another frame from another brand. Sure, your frame might end up being a single pound and a half heavier...but in all the right places. Most assuredly : Your frame is compromised, in fact, unless you have it professionally fixed....its junk as is. NEVER ride that frame unless you're riding casual on city bike paths.

·
Registered
Mayor of Titty City
1,757 Posts
Now you have an idea as to 'why' Yeti frames are so light compared to many others. I would never ride a Yeti unless I was either super wealthy, or a poser.
This comment is beyond stupid and you've clearly never ridden a Switch Infinity Yeti. You can crush all carbon stuff with the right angle and amount of leverage. It's part of the game for all carbon frames and has nothing to do with Yeti in particular.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
This comment is beyond stupid and you've clearly never ridden a Switch Infinity Yeti. You can crush all carbon stuff with the right angle and amount of leverage. It's part of the game for all carbon frames and has nothing to do with Yeti in particular.
It is true for any material. Tubes do not like side impacts.

Cool thing about carbon through is you can fix it and make it stronger than it originally was.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Now you have an idea as to 'why' Yeti frames are so light compared to many others. I would never ride a Yeti unless I was either super wealthy, or a poser. If you ride hard and cannot afford to buy a new frame every time to take a hit forget about Yeti. Evil frames, by comparison, though heavier, are, by FAR, stronger than nearly every other frame builder out there. I am not referring to the very early Evils from 8 years ago, but the revamped Evil Company products. If a frame will 'crack' like that in a bike clamp then, to me, it's trash. So that's really no excuse. I race and also ride A LOT and for many many miles per ride....usually I ride very hard, and I would never ride a Yeti....and this doesn't even touch upon their linkage woes once you put some hard miles on them.

...Get rid of it and buy another frame from another brand. Sure, your frame might end up being a single pound and a half heavier...but in all the right places. Most assuredly : Your frame is compromised, in fact, unless you have it professionally fixed....its junk as is. NEVER ride that frame unless you're riding casual on city bike paths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
On my Norco, I have smaller chip, looking like yours on the 1st photo. Probably only painting.. Don't care, for the touch it is not soft, still holding. If I die, I die.

But the second one looks weird and maybe something happend inside..

You could try to race it. Just be prepared. But I don't think something extra serious would happen to you.. It's not like you lost your wheels or handlebar suddenly.. But for the future repair, it can be harder

1 - 20 of 56 Posts