Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I can ride a two-wheeler
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, but does anyone make knock-off downhill bikes?

like "fake" demo frames and whatknot?

I'm not looking to buy one, I'm just wondering if they're out there, like a lot of other knock-off Chinese products like cars, tools etc.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
SteveUK said:
Fake cars?
You beat me to it :) Next thing you know we'll have fake 747s too.

The problem with the idea of 'Chinese knock-offs' is that if they're sold in Western countries, then Western companies can take legal action against the importer. Chinese knock-offs are typically available in Asia, or even specifically within China, where the market for DH bikes is probably like .0001% of the population.

Though I *am* under the impression that Xtension is a rebranded Azonic or something like that. Available in parts of Asia, but hard to find and not all that cheap.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
womble said:

The problem with the idea of 'Chinese knock-offs' is that if they're sold in Western countries, then Western companies can take legal action against the importer. Chinese knock-offs are typically available in Asia, or even specifically within China, where the market for DH bikes is probably like .0001% of the population.

Though I *am* under the impression that Xtension is a rebranded Azonic or something like that. Available in parts of Asia, but hard to find and not all that cheap.
I know that your are pulling numbers out of your a$$... but with a .0001% of the population of into DH biking... that would be 100000 DHers. Or a DH scene that is about 3times what the US is currently supporting.

Last year the US did 384,783 Mtn bike or Comfort bike imports. Most of those bikes were in the low end of things. At the rate that DH bikes are consumable products... the product life of one of those bikes being at a healthy 5yrs... and the DH bike scene controlling a healthy 5% of those 384,783... the US would bearly match China in number of people who are DHers... if China had a .0001% population into DH biking.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
wyrm said:
I know that your are pulling numbers out of your a$$... but with a .0001% of the population of into DH biking... that would be 100000 DHers. Or a DH scene that is about 3times what the US is currently supporting.
You might want to check your math again... 1B x .0001% comes to 1000. I think you got your decimals and percentages confused ;)

Anyway, as you can tell, I completely made that number up to arrive at my guestimate of the size of the DH market in China, where hardcore mountain biking is very much still a crazy Westerner thing.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
foxracing said:
I'm in China.
I see lots of Specialized xc frames. Fake.
But DH FR frames? I haven't seen a fake one yet.
And here I was thinking of getting some nice Seven stickers for my Beijing Ti frame. Someone in China has probably already beaten me to it :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I run a bike shop and one of my high schooler clients brought in this knock off easton frame, that he bought on ebay. I can't even compare it to anything, but man did that need work.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
womble said:

XTENSION is the company that produces those cookie cutter (or catalogue) frames that later are sold to many companies such as Azonic, KHS etc..

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
I always like the quote "If you're one in a million, in China there's a thousand of you".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ummm....

wyrm said:

Last year the US did 384,783 Mtn bike or Comfort bike imports. Most of those bikes were in the low end of things. At the rate that DH bikes are consumable products... the product life of one of those bikes being at a healthy 5yrs... and the DH bike scene controlling a healthy 5% of those 384,783... the US would bearly match China in number of people who are DHers... if China had a .0001% population into DH biking.
Haven't read past this post yet but....

384,783 is the import number. What about the made in the USA number? Some of the DH "Foreign" bikes like autos are made in the USA???

Just curious? Flame on

·
Registered
281 Posts
Karupshun said:
Wasn't there some M1 knock off frames popping up a while ago?

I could easily see the Chinese domestic market making clones they've done it with everything else...Not so much outside the markets. too many trade barriers and legal recourse . Hell, they built an improved Iphone clone...
A M1? That's news to me. You got a picture?

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
tacubaya said:
XTENSION is the company that produces those cookie cutter (or catalogue) frames that later are sold to many companies such as Azonic, KHS etc..
Yeah, I know. I only ever see Xtension out in Asia- I never see Azonic/KHS/whatever so I can never figure out what they get re-branded as :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.