Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
XACD are bandits, IMO.

We sent them a drawing for a quote.
They offered that same frame to a UK customer "here is the new on-one frame"... a month later!
Yep, I bet an "exploration" inquiry was made, and magically, they now have a frame. You guys know who I'm talking about.

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
I am guessing someone had told Jeff and his legal team are on the case! I am not sure a Jones spaceframe is a "me too" item that will sell as a rip-off...I could be wrong.

SSP

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Meh, I'd buy one. Sucks that it happened, but $5500 will be out of my price range for a good long time. Jeff probably won't even make them anymore. With the difference it is unlikely that people will select the Chinese frame instead of his. If they are thinking of getting a Jones they want the real thing. The H-bars, however, I'm sure anyone will buy to save some money.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
(Just playing devil's advocate here.) I could be wrong, but I imagine roughly copying the jones frame design probably isn't illegal. Maybe with more sweepy tube bike builders, the price of those frames will come down some?

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Rainman said:
Frankly, i'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. The chinese are adept at copying products, i've been expecting to see a Jones rip-off for a few years now.

R.
They don't appear to be great copy cats looking at that photo. Off hand I see a fat top tube that would most likely negate the benefits of the space frame design (flex as the top tube elongates when weight is put on the seat), a non-curved seat tube which will put the riders weight more forward than the Jones design (and most likely yield longer chainstays), no EBB and no visible derailluer hanger (other frames on that page have the hanger), so that might make things interesting. No mention of wheel size or geometry numbers which play into the handling quite a bit on the Jones. I'm sure there are some other things I'm missing as well.

Looks similar but I bet it rides noticeably different.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Singlespeedpunk said:
I am guessing someone had told Jeff and his legal team are on the case! I am not sure a Jones spaceframe is a "me too" item that will sell as a rip-off...I could be wrong.

SSP
You mean after they put down their hash pipes long enough to notice? Give me a break, products are reverse engineered all of the time. I am amused that people are somehow shocked by this.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.