Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 1128 Posts

·
Wrench
769 Posts
Hey they have a FS frame now but you have to supply the shock - seems to me that most FS bikes come with a shock that is already set up to work well with that frame?
Not always the case. Rear shocks are spec'ed to the frame with a pricepoint in mind. Just like front forks, except rear shocks don't usually have options to give longer travel. They are limited by the frame design. Some frames are built for shocks with 7"eye-to-eye measurements, some with 5" measurements.

So in buying a frame without a rear shock, you can really pick what kind of shock you'd want. Coil, air, brand, etc.

·
just some guy
533 Posts
Not always the case. Rear shocks are spec'ed to the frame with a pricepoint in mind. Just like front forks, except rear shocks don't usually have options to give longer travel. They are limited by the frame design. Some frames are built for shocks with 7"eye-to-eye measurements, some with 5" measurements.

So in buying a frame without a rear shock, you can really pick what kind of shock you'd want. Coil, air, brand, etc.
Oh OK. I thought I'd read where the shock would be set up special to work with certain frames.

·
Wrench
769 Posts
Oh OK. I thought I'd read where the shock would be set up special to work with certain frames.
The only shocks you'd find like that today are the Specialized "brain" shocks. But for the rest of the industry, throwing an RP23 on the frame is usually sufficient. :thumbsup:

·
just some guy
533 Posts
The only shocks you'd find like that today are the Specialized "brain" shocks. But for the rest of the industry, throwing an RP23 on the frame is usually sufficient. :thumbsup:
That's good to know. I ride hardtail or rigid, don't know much about suspension...obviously. My wife wants to get into it, so I'm thinking FS for her as I think she'll have more safety on a full squish. Any thoughts on what kind of shock would be best on that frame?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Does that hongfu frame fits with the Fox f32 suspension?
I have emailed them but their answer was not very clear XD

·
Illuminati
1,729 Posts
That's good to know. I ride hardtail or rigid, don't know much about suspension...obviously. My wife wants to get into it, so I'm thinking FS for her as I think she'll have more safety on a full squish. Any thoughts on what kind of shock would be best on that frame?
sufficient, maybe. but certain bikes do require different shock valving that IS usually specced by the bike company. eg an orange 5 single pivot would have a higher internal compression setting than say, a trek fuel with lighter rebound & compression settings.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Dfav, the Fox Fseries or Float will accept any Xc size 650b tires, just remember the frame has a tapered head tube (1 1/2"- 1 1/8") so you have to use a tapered fork or a standard fork plus adapter.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
That's not true at all. Todays frames come with shocks that are tuned to the suspension of the frame. I'm no expert but I know enough to know the different manufacturers spec their shocks with different tunes taking into account things like leverage ratio etc..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got a quote on an 18" FS frame for $738 shipped with headset installed, really not a bad price.

I'm thinking of switching the hardtail components over from my 17" Bokor, I don't think hardtails are for me...

·
BuckyFullerFan
33 Posts
carbon 650b hm-156

Just received the new full suspension 650b frame through Shenzhen Honsen sports! I have been so happy with my converted superlight besides all the broken der.hangers I thought losing some weight would be nice.I weighed it as it came ,bare without shock and it is 3lb13oz . Now im just waiting on a few other parts to arrive so I can get out and test it !

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
N00b post

Hi, I just joined MTBR because I saw this thread and have just last week ordered a carbon frame from China, so I'm really pleased to see that others are ordering frames from China and having success with the process.

Big thanks to morphtcat and others for posting pics. And good to hear you had little trouble.

I've been riding MTB since I bought my first bike in 1997 - a Klein Mantra Race. I still have it and just bought some new DMR dee vees and an Elixir 5 disc for it. It's super old-school but I love it for a hack around the city bike, and I meet so many MTBers because everywhere I park it I get guys coming up going "OMG I remember those!'

Anyhoo I have to first apologize because I'm not building a 650. Just a standard 26" for now. I've been picking up bits from ebay and Chain Reaction and am a bit of a weight weenie - it's carbon and titanium all the way where possible.

I had an interesting time picking a frame from China. I registered with Alibaba and because I had already bought rims, forks and cranks, I had to get the frame to match.

I found about 3-4 frames that were suitable. Out of the several thousand links in Alibaba it turns out that there really are only a handful of frame designs - maybe 20-30 or so that I could see. I had to find one that was 26"/BB30/tapered/31.6mm in my size 18"-19" and the most difficult bit - available immediately. One company couldn't ship me a frame until late March!

I also wanted 3k weave, and ideally matt. Turns out that "matt paint" costs $50 more, I assume because they have to coat it with something to remove the gloss. So I accepted shiny 3K. I got frame FM038 (sorry can't post a pic and not even a link before 10 posts!! just stick FM038 into the search at alibaba.com if interested) or just over US$400 delivered. What helped was Ms Kathy Jin at the bottom of the page was online and we chatted so I could get all my questions answered.

Sorry to invade your 650 thread, just wanted to say thanks for the info provided about Chinese frames.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just received the new full suspension 650b frame through Shenzhen Honsen sports! I have been so happy with my converted superlight besides all the broken der.hangers I thought losing some weight would be nice.I weighed it as it came ,bare without shock and it is 3lb13oz . Now im just waiting on a few other parts to arrive so I can get out and test it !
What did it cost you to your door?

81 - 100 of 1128 Posts