Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 80 of 1128 Posts

·
Not dead yet, just playin
910 Posts
Morphtcat, thanks. I order the EDGE Composites carbon post.

ohpossum,
I'm using a Problem Solvers E46 eccentric BB wih a Surly 19t cog.
Hope it works as advertised since this will be a first for me.
I looked at the Beer Components and a few others.
I usually convert standard bracket bikes using the Surly Singulator.
What is a Magic gear?
Thanks
Rich
Ah..forgot these frames came with BB30.

Magic gear is when you luck out and a usable ratio can be used with the existing chainstay length. I had an old Haro frame that worked perfectly with 32x17 because the chainstays were just the right length.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm always half a link away from perfection!
I tried using a half link once, but it wasnt good.
The tensioner allows me to change cogs if necessary for
different trails.
Thanks
Rich
(You could see pics of my Sette build on page 2 of this thread)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hung Fu Bikes

I pulled the trigger on a Hung Fu Bikes 650b hardtail carbon fiber bike. I've received the frame (only took about 2 weeks) and am now collecting the components and slowly assembling the bike. My frame is a large and weighed 1,285 grams. It looks like a well made carbon frame. I can't find anything to complain about after inspection.

My build will be a little different...I originally wanted a simple hardtail in 650b, but with the lack of a light suspension fork available until some time next year (ie, Rockshox SID Worldcup...sub 1,300 grams), I decided to try something different...carbon rigid fork (also Chinese made) with a short length (465m) and run a 29" front wheel. When a good light suspension fork becomes available I may switch. So I'm building a NinerBee...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice michael9218, that should be a fun build. I also struggled with the light fork story - the Magura TS8 R is only available in Jan/Feb, and that's also going to be around 1600 grams. I eventually went with the Rockshox Revelation XX 650b. My bike weighs in at 21.3lb (I just weighed it), so it isn't super heavy by any stretch, but a lighter fork will get it down to around 20lb and change (the weight difference between the Revelation XX and the SID is going to be about 500g at most, which is ~1lb).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nice michael9218, that should be a fun build. I also struggled with the light fork story - the Magura TS8 R is only available in Jan/Feb, and that's also going to be around 1600 grams. I eventually went with the Rockshox Revelation XX 650b. My bike weighs in at 21.3lb (I just weighed it), so it isn't super heavy by any stretch, but a lighter fork will get it down to around 20lb and change (the weight difference between the Revelation XX and the SID is going to be about 500g at most, which is ~1lb).
Your bike looks sweet. Which seatpost did you go with?

My Ellsworth Truth is already at 22.5 lbs (B6 1x10), so I wanted the hardtail carbon to be under 19 lbs. I run a 1x10 setup with Rotor cranks, so I figured with the right suspension fork this could be accomplished. With the rigid fork and 29" front wheel the bike will be right at about 18 lbs. I think this bike will be sweet on smooth technical single track. Hopefully the lack of a front suspension will be offset by the joy of an 18 lb bike!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your bike looks sweet. Which seatpost did you go with?
I originally got a one-bolt carbon post from light-bicycle.com that looked like a bontrager race XXX light. It turns out, at least with the one I got, that a one-bolt post doesn't withstand the jarring of a harsh ride, and the saddle wouldn't stay horizontal, so I replaced it with an FSA K-Force seat post that weighs in at around 200g (the other one is about 140g).

Right now there's very little I can say that's bad about the frame. It seems rock-solid, the geometry is spot on, and it fills me with confidence going over all sorts of stuff. That said, I'm a beginner mountain biker. Yesterday I managed to ride up a ramp, along a 6ft tree, down another ramp, and then jumped over several logs, rock piles and so on - the combination of frame, tires, wheel and group just seems fantastic to me. I think you'll love the frame.

My Ellsworth Truth is already at 22.5 lbs (B6 1x10), so I wanted the hardtail carbon to be under 19 lbs. I run a 1x10 setup with Rotor cranks, so I figured with the right suspension fork this could be accomplished. With the rigid fork and 29" front wheel the bike will be right at about 18 lbs. I think this bike will be sweet on smooth technical single track. Hopefully the lack of a front suspension will be offset by the joy of an 18 lb bike!
Oh yeah, I don' think you'll have a problem - 450g carbon fork vs. 1800g suspension fork. Right there you're saving 3lb. The 1x10 setup will make up the rest of the difference I think. That 22.5lb is pretty impressive for a full suspension bike!

My goal was to have a fairly light XC hardtail without completely going nutty and getting XX. When the SID fork comes out, I may switch my wife to it (her bike is 24lb and she weighs 90lb), but so far the weight of my bike isn't even close to an issue for me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
9erBee Carbon Hardtail

I finished up my HongFu-Bikes carbon hardtail build the other day and took it out for a long 3:40 ride at FATS in South Carolina. If you live the Southeast, this place should be on your bucket list. 37 miles of flowy, fast smooth singletrack. The perfect place for a carbon hardtail rigid forked bike...

First the build:
HongFu-Bikes carbon hardtail large 650b frame (1285g)
465mm carbon fork from Xiamen Iplay Sports (705g)
Rotor SS cranks with Q-Ring
Speedplay Ti pedals
Shimano XTR Shadow+ der
Formula R1 brakes
Dave's Wheels Chris King/Stans Crest wheelset, 29 front, 650b rear
Racing Ralph tires
Selle Italia SLR XC Flow saddle
Easton EA50 post (bought it to use in the bike stand...waiting on delivery of a light carbon post)

Bike currently weighs in at 18lbs 1 ounce. With the carbon post, it'll be just under 18 lbs.

The idea was to build a carbon hardtail 650b XC race bike. I like my 22.5lb B6 1x Ellsworth Truth, but wanted something really light for smoother trails to race on. Since there isn't a currently available light XC racing fork for the 650b until the SID World Cup is available in an 80mm/100mm travel, I decided to go asymmetrical again and try a 29" front with a rigid fork with a shorter A2C to keep the geometry correct for the frame. Hoping that the 29" tire will roll over better and somewhat compensate for the lack of front suspension...plus I've been curious to try a 29" tire as well.

So how did it ride? This bike couldn't be more different than my Truth. You sit low in the frame with the low BB. The bike is obviously, and expectedly, less plush. The 29" tire does indeed rollover small stuff really well. Big hits cause the bike to bounce. You really have to adjust your riding style and be more active. The 18 lbs feels just amazing under you. The bike is crazy nimble and accelerates and climbs like a bat out of hell. The frame is extremely efficient at power transfer. These trails have a lot of tight singletrack in the trees. This thing is like a scaple. Very precise. On an access fire road, the bike rode very smooth. You can really tell that the frame soaks up the small vibrations well. The real proof in this bike was that after 3:40 of riding on my first time on this bike, I was comfortable with no sore hands or back.

Build quality on this frame seems quite good. The internal routing caused no issues. The rear derailleur cable routing works well and isn't goofy like the Niner bikes. You simply feed in the cable at the head and it pops out at the rear of the chain stay.

I give this bike a thumbs up, and also am very pleased with the 650b rear and 29" front. The 1x without a chain guide caused one chain drop in the 37 miles, so I'll be going with a e13 XCX guide. I'm looking forward to trying this bike on a slightly rougher trail to see how it does.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
michael9218, that looks wicked cool! I like the clean lines on the bars from not having too many cables. I love the red detailing as well, esp. the top cap on the steerer tube.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new to the forum and have followed a few Chinese carbon builds. How do I go about ordering a frame from hung-fu? I want t buy a 275 full suspension frame. Thanks, Tim

61 - 80 of 1128 Posts