Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1128 Posts

·
just some guy
533 Posts
We should try to consolidate this info in a nice organized thread. I just want to contribute that I bought a hong fu frame

2012 Full carbon mountain bike MTB 26ER frame 21" Fork-in Bicycle Frame from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com'

and although the fork seemed to be a 29er fork, No way shape or how does a 27.5 rim fit back there. I was hoping this would be similar to the on one whippet. :madman:

All I want is a nice 27.5 frame.
You bought a 26er frame from the looks of it. I believe that Hong Fu makes a 27.5 specific frame.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Sifu did you originally want a 26er or did you order the wrong item?
Hong fu does indeed make a 27.5 specific frame and fork which are almost identical to yours, but dedicated to the bigger wheels
I bought one, see my previous posts or search ebay/aliexpress for "27.5 carbon frame"

·
Registered
1 Posts
As usual a sniff of anything new and these guys are all over it in a jiffy
Just hope the geo in the right frame(pun meant) for the first buyers

hongfu-bikes.com/html_products/2013-650B-Full--Suspension-283.html]2013 650B Full Suspension[/url]

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I agree, they have been quicker to sniff the new trend than many other builders in the US.
Hopefully there is nothing impressively difficult in copying an HT geometry - and also the manufacturing process should be well honed.
Finger crossed!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Happy to confirm that the frame has been delivered last week, slightly more that 2 weeks after I placed the order. This sets a new record for shipping from China to Europe, even shorter than 100g envelopes from Dealextreme!
Sorry for the lack of time for pictures, I can say that the item is perfectly as described in the many pictures from the vendors. If anyone needs any specific detail I’ll try to post.
This is the preliminary list of pros and cons
>The frame came properly packed, with all the delicate bits protected by foam, plugs or spacers. Could use a sturdier box, which came slightly “bumped” but no damage.
>Beautiful finish, 3k weave plus clear coat. I thought to remove paint and go for the matte look but there’s too much work involved, forget about it.
>Actual weight: 1130g on my digital scale ; exactly within the claimed tolerances. This is a great weight for the money.
>Clean (internal) cable routing ;
>Included headset is decent quality (well there’s little more than the bearings…) Compression plug for carbon forks is a nice touch
>Dropout spacing spot – on ; BB threads OK; Headset housing seems to have the right tolerance,but bearings not . fitted yet.

DON’T LIKE
>Internal routing for rear brake - too much fuss (and bleeding required) for limited advantage
>Chainstays are a bit on the chunky side, I expect a relatively harsh ride, we'll see.
>No chainsuck protection plate embedded in the chainstays

The quick delivery took me by surprise, I just ordered the fork but still have to order the rims and relace the wheels;
I will update if I find anything relevant during the build.
Cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just joined so that I can post about my new-to-me Hongfu FM-136. My background: I grew up riding bikes and then took a 20 year hiatus from it. I got back into it by doing triathlons and road racing since 2007 and then started doing cyclocross a few years ago. Discovered that I preferred that to road racing and noodled on the idea of getting an MTB for a long time. Because I research everything to death, I decided to wait until I could get a 650B bike built.

After looking around a lot and reading a lot of the discussion here on the Hongfu FM-136, I opted to take the plunge and get one. I've attached a picture of my bike that I just completed on Saturday.

The build is:

Hongfu FM-136 650B frame in size 18 (I'm 5'10 with a 31.5" inseam), 1050grams as weighed by my not-so-precise scale
90mm 6 degree rise stem
Rockshox Revelation XX 650B fork - they have 100mm travel, and the frame was designed for 100mm travel
light-bicycle.com 25mm rim 650B tubeless ready wheels with 15QR, 32 spoke count, novatec hubs, weighed in at 1525 grams
SRAM XO 2x10 42/28 175mm crank with 11-36 cassette, type 2 rear derailleur
Schwalbe Rocket Ron 650B 2.25" tires, tubeless
Selle San Marco Aspide Arrowhead saddle

The build took me about a week to complete, which was more a function of me taking my time because I'm unfamiliar with building MTBs (I've built about 6 bikes, all of them road bikes and those typically take me about 1-2 days). I had to learn about

The only things I had an issue with were (1) one of the holes on the stem wasn't threaded, so I had to thread that with a tap. Similarly, one of the holes for the rear disc brake mount wasn't threaded, so I had to thread that. Given the small spaces there, that was a PITA, but not insurmountable.

Threading the rear brake cable through the frame was trivial. Bleeding the brake was equally trivial and took me < 30 minutes. Given that it was the 1st time I'd ever bled a hydraulic brake, I think that the next time would be faster.

I'm not sure that I'm the right person to comment on ride harshness given that my only reference point is riding a cyclocross bike on MTB trails (insanely jarring, btw). While the FM-136 is much, much smoother than the CX bike, bumps aren't eliminated - you still feel them. I'm still tuning my suspension and tire pressure, so that's probably still a huge factor. That said, the bike is super controllable and predictable. The geometry is perfect for me and for my intent (XC racing). It rails around corners like there's no tomorrow - I can go around tight twisty singletrack much, much faster than on my CX bike, and that's not because of the suspension.

Anyways, I'm incredibly impressed with the build quality of the frame and the responsiveness of the thing. Right now I can't find anything about it that I don't like other than the fact that a single-bolt seat post is probably not the best choice for a MTB - it doesn't stay horizontal.

With that said, here's the pic:

[Umm, apparently you can't post the link when you have < 10 posts. Super]

OK, maybe a gallery pic will work?

Nope, apparently not. Gngngngn.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh geez, apparently I can't even reply to PM that someone sent me asking if I wanted them to post the URL pic for me. I guess I'll just have to make some more posts. Wow.

·
just some guy
533 Posts
This sounds like a great XC build with choices that are right up my alley. Can't wait to see the pics. I don't know squat about using a tap, so the lack of threads that you mentioned would have been a really significant problem for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks. I'll do that. I only finished the build on Saturday, so I haven't had much of a chance to ride it. Initial impressions are that they got the geometry right. It is super nimble, but isn't unstable at all. Compared to my cyclocross bike, it turns much faster and is actually more predictable in the turn. It feels very responsive when I climb - the carbon doesn't feel dead. I've got nothing bad to say about the wheels thus far either.

About the only difficulty I had while building was that the rear screw hole for the rear brake caliper wasn't threaded, so I had to spend some time doing that. Not too big a deal though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This sounds like a great XC build with choices that are right up my alley. Can't wait to see the pics. I don't know squat about using a tap, so the lack of threads that you mentioned would have been a really significant problem for me.
I managed to get one pic up - see a little earlier in the thread (I hope :)). Honestly, the thread tap was a non-issue. It was only a single thread on the frame, and one on the FSA stem that I purchased separately.

To solve it, all I needed was a cheap bit of hardware from Home Depot - a thread tap for an M6 bolt - and some amount of patience. I'd never done that before, so it was new to me and it turned out just fine. When I first encountered it, though, I freaked a little, but then asked a couple of friends what to do.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Great build MOrphtcat!
I still have the frame in my garage, a few online orders have been delayed due to the Cristmas season, no fork, rims and H-bar-
Can't wait to start the build!
A couple of questions:

Did you get the matte3k finish, or is it just a camera effect?

Looking at the picture I just realized that the internal routing for the rear brake (hose entering left side) won't work too well for moto-style routing (rear brake - left side).
Did you use a standard routing?

Did you have a chance to weight the fork before assembly?

PS it would be great to resize the pic to avoid the horizontal scroll

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great build MOrphtcat!
I still have the frame in my garage, a few online orders have been delayed due to the Cristmas season, no fork, rims and H-bar-
Can't wait to start the build!
A couple of questions:

Did you get the matte3k finish, or is it just a camera effect?
I got the matte 3k finish - I originally asked for glossy, but they didn't have that readily available. In hindsight, I'm actually glad I got the matte finish.

Looking at the picture I just realized that the internal routing for the rear brake (hose entering left side) won't work too well for moto-style routing (rear brake - left side).
Did you use a standard routing?
I have a standard setup - rear brake on the right. All my bikes (including my CX bike) have that style, and when I ride the motorcycle I don't seem to have a problem :). btw: the routing of the cable internally was easy; it seems like they've done the right thing and have an internal channel so that you just have to push things through. The tolerances are extremely tight, which is good.

Did you have a chance to weight the fork before assembly?
I did, but to be honest I forget exactly what it weighed. If I recall correctly, it was pretty much exactly what Rockshox specified. The entire bike comes in at somewhere around 21-22lb depending on tires used. I'm also going to change the seat post to a 2-bolt FSA because a 1-bolt setup just doesn't keep the saddle horizontal.

PS it would be great to resize the pic to avoid the horizontal scroll
I'll try to do that, but I'm not sure that I can.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Morphtcat,
A beautiful bike and build. Best of luck. Now go get her dirty!
I'm waiting for my FM-136 to arrive. I ordered the Glossy 12K, BB30.
I'm building a 16" 18.5 lbs. Single Speed for my wife.
Could you tell me what the seatpost size is. (31.6?)
Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
44 Posts
Morphtcat,
A beautiful bike and build. Best of luck. Now go get her dirty!
I'm waiting for my FM-136 to arrive. I ordered the Glossy 12K, BB30.
I'm building a 16" 18.5 lbs. Single Speed for my wife.
Could you tell me what the seatpost size is. (31.6?)
Thanks
Rich
Thanks Rich! It's a 31.6 seat post. I'm getting an FSA K-Force SB25 for mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Morphtcat, thanks. I order the EDGE Composites carbon post.

ohpossum,
I'm using a Problem Solvers E46 eccentric BB wih a Surly 19t cog.
Hope it works as advertised since this will be a first for me.
I looked at the Beer Components and a few others.
I usually convert standard bracket bikes using the Surly Singulator.
What is a Magic gear?
Thanks
Rich

41 - 60 of 1128 Posts