Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1128 Posts

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Depends

I'm looking at this closely and I'd like some input on my idea. I want a hardtail for longer rides but am a bit strapped for cash so I'm hoping to purchase one of these 650B frames and moving all my old hardtail stuff across except for the fork.
I'm not a big fan of an xc geo bike so I'd like to get a longer fork (140mm too much??) to slacken it out and would put a short stem and wide bars on it for comfort.
initially the wheelset would be 26 until I have enough cash for a 650B set.
Is this madness? Doing some searching it appears teh longer fork shouldn;t concern me to much as I can run more sag if needs be.
How will a 26 inch wheelset go on a 650B frame?

Cheers for advice in advance.
You talking the On One 456 or what. I believe they work 100-140 forks. As for 26" wheels on 650 specific frame would think you'd be experiencing more pedal strikes then you're used to.

·
just some guy
533 Posts
26 inches wheels on a 650b frame probably won't work that well. I assume, given the thread name, that you are referring to Chinese frames right? I think the Chinese frames are specced for 100mm travel forks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah the Chinese frames are the ones.. something like this: 3k Full Carbon Glossy 27.5ER 650B Mountain MTB Bike Frame Headset - 17" 19" 21" | eBay
So if I add a longer fork I'll be slackening the HA and raising the BB a little?
26 wheels would only be a short term solution, the issue will be more around do I get a 26inch fork on the cheap or go straight out for a 650B fork.... can;t beleive how quickly the options have made it to market.

·
The White Jeff W
5,693 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think this is remotely close to true. The Whippet is a quick-steering 26" wheeled XC race bike. With a longer fork, it becomes more stable, but it doesn't compare to the Yelli Screamy. Perhaps the numbers aren't that different, but a 70* HTA on a 29er is a very different beast than a 70* HTA on a 26" bike. I've owned a Whippet and I have a 29er that is steeper than the Yelli. The 29er is by far more "trail" oriented than the Whippet, and the Yelli even more so than my 29er. Comparing apples to airplanes here.

With an 80 mm fork both bikes have 70* head angle. 73* seat angle, ETT is only 7mm difference, chainstay is 1mm difference. Just sayin...

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Chinese frame +140=.....

Yeah the Chinese frames are the ones.. something like this: 3k Full Carbon Glossy 27.5ER 650B Mountain MTB Bike Frame Headset - 17" 19" 21" | eBay
So if I add a longer fork I'll be slackening the HA and raising the BB a little?
26 wheels would only be a short term solution, the issue will be more around do I get a 26inch fork on the cheap or go straight out for a 650B fork.... can;t beleive how quickly the options have made it to market.
Fail! Could be wrong but going 40mm over geo on any frame design, regardless of maker would not be recommended. Possibly catastrophic. Let alone bike would be a little whacky with the combination of long travel fork and 26" wheels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah fair enough, that's the advice I'm after 120 mm would probably be plenty for me but I can't see 100 doing the job.

·
just some guy
533 Posts
Fail! Could be wrong but going 40mm over geo on any frame design, regardless of maker would not be recommended. Possibly catastrophic. Let alone bike would be a little whacky with the combination of long travel fork and 26" wheels.
JMac is right, it sounds like it would be hugely risky and you could end up with a weird handling critter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Has anyone actually build one of these Chinese frames? They keep popping up on my E-Bay Searches.

·
A waste of time it is is
4,199 Posts
I'm looking at this closely and I'd like some input on my idea. I want a hardtail for longer rides but am a bit strapped for cash so I'm hoping to purchase one of these 650B frames and moving all my old hardtail stuff across except for the fork.
I'm not a big fan of an xc geo bike so I'd like to get a longer fork (140mm too much??) to slacken it out and would put a short stem and wide bars on it for comfort.
initially the wheelset would be 26 until I have enough cash for a 650B set.
Is this madness? Doing some searching it appears teh longer fork shouldn;t concern me to much as I can run more sag if needs be.
How will a 26 inch wheelset go on a 650B frame?

Cheers for advice in advance.
You talking the On One 456 or what. I believe they work 100-140 forks. As for 26" wheels on 650 specific frame would think you'd be experiencing more pedal strikes then you're used to.
I am going to second this. What you have described is exactly what the On-One 456 is and they don't cost much more than the topic of this original thread. It is a 26" frame that will work with 100 to 140mm travel forks. It is also 650 compatible so when the time comes get your 650b wheels. Find a 26" fork now that is 650b compatible, white bros, x-fusion etc and you're good to go without spending money on short term solutions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah a carbon On One looks great but will come in at double the price of the chinese frame here in Australia. That's OK though I'm pretty happy to build up something slowly.
Its kind of funny that putting 26 wheels on a 650 frame would create havoc but 650 wheels on a 26 inch frame is an improvement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
there is an FS carbon frame for 650b wheels by HONSEN SPORTS (search frame HM156)
Looks like the chinese 29er FS , It has 108mm rear travel , works with 120mm fork

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey people,
This is my first post here.

I just ordered a 12k 16" Glossy 650b with a BB30 to build a SS for my wife.
I had an excellent experience dealing with Hong-Fu. Ask for Jane Jiam.
She answered my questions, corrected language issues and gave some
confidence that I will recieve the frame as ordered.
Risky, yes! The price was $520 shipped to my door. Tapered Headset included.
I just converted my Carbon Sette Phantom into a 650B. So far, everything fits well.

2009 19" carbon Sette Phantom
Manitou R7 pro
Stans Crest 650B
Vee Rubber 650B
Edge Composites for Seatpost, Handlebars and Stem.
Surly 19t Cog
Spot Brand cranks
Avid Hydros
Terry Fly Saddle

I'll answer question and post progress soon
Rich

·
just some guy
533 Posts
Welcome aboard. Post pics! How tall is your wife? I've been thinking of getting one of these for my wife, who is 5 feet, 5 inches tall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Talabardio,
Yes, I will post pics of my Sette soon.
The 16" frame from Hong-Fu is on order and won't be here for at least a few weeks.
If you interested, I have a beautiful 15" Norco Aluminum frame that fits the 650 wheels perfectly. The bike was built as a 26er SS, 21 lb, bike but did not sell.
I rigged it for 27.5 with a Manitou R7 Pro fork and it looks amazing.
The pics shows it when it was a 26er. The frame is for sale for $175 + shipping.
Talk with you soon.

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just pulled the trigger and ordered the frame.
Before placing the order I evaluated possible options like the new Focus Raven 650b (plenty of hardtail choices here in europe), but the cheapest "brand name" frameset was at least 3 times the price.
I was dumb enough to forget to specify frame size and BB option on the Paypal comments, sent them a separate mail and the next day the frame was shipped with the right specifications.
So far so good!

·
Registered
73 Posts
21 - 40 of 1128 Posts