Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Human Test Subject
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4ish year old open mold carbon frame, similar to Framed's Alaska carbon. The lower cup of the integrated headset is currently soaking in penetrating oil to see if I can remove what's left of the bearing shell. If it's in there permanently I'll need a new frame. The lower bearings came out in 2 pieces with the outer part stuck in there still.

Do all open mold frames use raw aluminum in there? Do other people who use theirs in slushy salty winters also have this problem? I ride this in Minneapolis.

·
will rant for food
4,005 Posts
Do you have any laboratory type friends who could gain you access to dry ice or something? The thermal expansion rate of aluminum is significant compared to carbon, I'm wondering if you could freeze it out.

·
Human Test Subject
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know this dude named Drew. I'm letting it soak til tomorrow and if I can't get it out do you want a frame to play with?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I always put a layer of waterproof grease on the frame before putting the lower bearing in, I find this helps. Also drop the forks out every 6 months and purchase stainless steel lower bearing assembly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
blood in / blood out
406 Posts
If Drew don't want to play with it. Give me a shout. I can try and get it out for you. I'm in Stillwater, MN

And if it is like the Framed, then it will be just like at work for me.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
When I was a boy, we just had these external cups that could be removed from the frame when stuff got too ugly.

Harrumph and all, but screw these *improvements that truly solve nothing, but make our lives, one step more annoying....

·
Human Test Subject
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MCS that doesn't sound very aero at all.

Sunday update - Still stuck. Going to leave it soaking while I'm traveling to a third world country (Kansas City) and will try again Thursday.

Fortunately(?) this is coinciding with my stainless steel Otso needing to be warrantied, so hopefully I can apply that warranty money to a Voytek.

·
16,470 Posts
HA! Well, Chris Kings always had nice curves that the wind loved oozing around smoothly.....

I second Drew suggestion (or third, fourth, whatever).

I've had a few stuck on customers bikes, and the methods I've used successfully, aren't for the timid!

·
Registered
756 Posts
If nothing else works, you can try the method for removing male threads out of a female fitting. Gently make a series of small cuts with a hack saw blade till just before it goes through the cup. Then take a needle nose pliers and work it out. Once the first piece comes out the rest are usually much easier. It makes life easier when you only have to deal with a 1/4" piece of stuck cup rather than 1 1/2" piece.

·
16,470 Posts
Pair o' pliers and a blowtorch...
Or, faster, more *precise* version of Bumpy's thoughts, a Dremel with a cutoff wheel notch the cup through, pry with a screwdriver and they typically come easily, with that small bit of free motion.

Not for the unsteady of hand or faint of heart though!

Likely less damage to paint than a torch, but that's crossed my mind too now and again....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.