Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The china made oval chainring orientation are wrong. It simply does not work for users.
I have tried from 30t to 36t oval & none are "working". I switch to round and everything make sense.

The orientation only work if you cycle up hill, i repeat again; uphill. Once you go flat, you are wasting energy on useless torque. You be draining way more energy compare to round.

Go with reputable oval brand. Compare the orientation and you see the differrences.

· Registered
7,179 Posts
I bought one from Alibaba and the ovality and mounting hole orientation was identical to the numerous Absolute Blacks I have on the shelf. Furthermore the China version is compatible with Shimano and Sram chains with the more narrow tooth profile. With the AB you have to buy a special Shimano compatible chainring but with SRAM mounting for $100.
To top it off, the quality looks really good. In their adverts they claim their Al is from America which results in a higher grade.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Your crank looks to have a "square" or "equidistant" bolt pattern. I haven't seen one of those from Shimano in a while. The chainring appears to be more like this bolt pattern, modern XT/SLX:

· Registered
Looking at a fat tire bike.
103 Posts
OK. I'm just getting back into riding. Riding a vintage DH bike from 1997.
Started MTB riding in the mid-late 80's up till 2007. Through the 80's and well into the 90's I was riding a black chrome Schwinn High Sierra, added a Trek Ds2 fork, other upgrades, and it had a Biopace crankset.
Anyway. my main question is, for those who remember. What happened to Biopace chainrings?

· Ride More - Suffer Less
3,087 Posts
Hope you're wrong, because I'm about to install this:

View attachment 1948596
That appears to be correct clocking, larger portion of ring (max resistance) is clocked to max force position of crank arm. This is opposite of Biopace and why it failed.
The cut on that rings appears to be a Garbaruk copy.

Love oval chainrings, I don't agree with 'waste energy on flat path'. Extra bonus that gets overlooked is more efficiency when running flat pedals IMO.

· Registered
6,980 Posts
Anyway. my main question is, for those who remember. What happened to Biopace chainrings?
Shimano clocked the oval completely different than the "modern" ovals. Shimano had the high point of the oval in basically the dead spot of the pedal stroke. Current ones are clocked at around the 2 o'clock position where you start the power stroke of your pedaling.

Regardless of the brand you buy....the way they are clocked are all pretty similar.

· Registered
6,980 Posts
The china made oval chainring orientation are wrong. It simply does not work for users.
I have tried from 30t to 36t oval & none are "working". I switch to round and everything make sense.

The orientation only work if you cycle up hill, i repeat again; uphill. Once you go flat, you are wasting energy on useless torque. You be draining way more energy compare to round.

Go with reputable oval brand. Compare the orientation and you see the differrences.
So it only works when you're going uphill...but not on the flat? That don't make much sense to me.

· Registered
978 Posts
Or you could buy one from a company that might have actually put some r&d into it.

Just say no to cheap china crap

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Can't say anything about oval, but the round china rings are great.
They work and hold up just as good as more expensive ones.
I had and still use 32, 34 and 36T rings. Not a single issue after hundreds of kilometers on multiply bikes.
Even an ebike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.