Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 826 Posts

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
I'd only run one offset bushing on this (or any high rotation, dual link frame). I'd put it on the side where the shock attaches to the front triangle.

·
bike rider
5,522 Posts
Look at the seat tube. It's not 73°. 73° is the angle of a line drawn from the BB to a random point that intersects the seatpost but when you raise and lower the seat it's moving way forward and back. I had a similar Scott Genius LT. Now I own an actually steep Nomad. Look into reviews of the Mach 6 vs Nomad and you'll hear how much better people like a steep seat tube. This bike will be okay but just okay. In 2015 that doesn't cut it. My advise is to wait till you can test ride this thing or wait for a better looking example which is sure to pop up over the next year. Or plunk down the money for a Bronson/Nomad/HD3/ect (maybe Mach 6 but everyone says short top tube and slack ST).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok, again, not saying it will be the perfect bike or anything but the way to measure the Seat Angle from the bottom bracket to the (random) supposed height of the saddle is quite the norm right?
Just measured the Bronson by the angle of the actual seat tube and it came out at about 70,5.
bronsonSTangle.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have been asking around for their prices on this frame and delivery time.

Dengfu 660 USD
Hungfu 850 USD
Ican - 830 USD

Hungfu, told me that they own the factory that makes the frames, and the other compagnies simply buy from them.
i dont really see how this can be true, with the different geometry ?

besides that, some of them seem to be willing to take the ordre now, while Ican tells me that they have to finish up the frames. And the first ordres will be out in January.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Once again I find myself trying to buy a frame that doesn't yet exist. ;)

What's with the price discrepancies? I've never dealt with any of these three companies so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Time to start acquiring parts for the build ... thoughts on 35mm vs 40mm outer width rims for this frame?

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
... thoughts on 35mm vs 40mm outer width rims for this frame?
Wouldn't an inner rim width be a better metric to gauge how a tire profile will be presented?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wouldn't an inner rim width be a better metric to gauge how a tire profile will be presented?
Yeah, I wish inner widths were the advertised spec because it is what really matters. But the outer width is what is shown everywhere so I gave in and just use the outer measurement in discussions. Subtract 5mm from that to get inner width. ;)

It doesn't seem that anyone has a frame yet and no new pictures have surfaced so I'm hesitant to order a 40mm rim and might just go with 35mm.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
It doesn't seem that anyone has a frame yet and no new pictures have surfaced so I'm hesitant to order a 40mm rim and might just go with 35mm.
If I recall, Derby has 3mm walls (6mm for both) whereas the LB, Nextie, etc have 2.5mm walls (5mm for both).
This is where I'm conflicted...is an extra 1/2 mm worth ~$140 in price between Nextie and Derby.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Point being, would this frame fit a tire put on one of those rims? ;)
Or would it be limited to a smaller tire that would then up being the wrong profile?

I might have to end up being the guinea pig unless someone has actually received one of these frames.

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts

·
Banned
7,171 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts

What's with the price discrepancies? I've never dealt with any of these three companies so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Time to start acquiring parts for the build ... thoughts on 35mm vs 40mm outer width rims for this frame?
I once bought a frame from Ican, took 5 weeks i think, beautiful frame and finnish. Also quite like their decals too

This time i ordered from Hongfu, and hopefully they will have the shortest delivery time, i also bought a pair of these wheels - 35mm outer, 30 inner.
now i just hope that the Mountain king 2.4 will fit in the rear. :p
29er 650B 27.5er Bead hookless 35mm Carbon Wheels Chlicher Beast decal-in Bicycle Wheel from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

·
Registered
30 Posts

I once bought a frame from Ican, took 5 weeks i think, beautiful frame and finnish. Also quite like their decals too

http://forums.mtbr.com/bike-frame-discussion/ican-carbon-hardtail-frame-china-937817.html

This time i ordered from Hongfu, and hopefully they will have the shortest delivery time, i also bought a pair of these wheels - 35mm outer, 30 inner.
so now i hope that the Mountain king 2.4 will fit in the rear
29er 650B 27.5er Bead hookless 35mm Carbon Wheels Chlicher Beast decal-in Bicycle Wheel from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

·
Registered
741 Posts
I see you ordered the 20.5". How tall are you?

Also, did you have to fill out the "inquire" form and then receive further instructions on how to order? The website isn't a typical web store, that's for sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i'm 185cm

you just have too fill out the inquire form, and then they will write you back on mail, where they will aske for your ordre. For payment i choose paypal, eigher that or bank transfer. Just remember there are charges on Paypal!

·
Professional Slacker
3,271 Posts
Look at the seat tube. It's not 73°. 73° is the angle of a line drawn from the BB to a random point that intersects the seatpost but when you raise and lower the seat it's moving way forward and back. I had a similar Scott Genius LT. Now I own an actually steep Nomad. Look into reviews of the Mach 6 vs Nomad and you'll hear how much better people like a steep seat tube. This bike will be okay but just okay. In 2015 that doesn't cut it. My advise is to wait till you can test ride this thing or wait for a better looking example which is sure to pop up over the next year. Or plunk down the money for a Bronson/Nomad/HD3/ect (maybe Mach 6 but everyone says short top tube and slack ST).
All Pivots are slack, the M6 actually has a steeper ST angle than their 429 XC bike, and nobody complains about that not being able to climb.

The "seat tube angle issue" really depends on how the rear suspension works. A DW-link bike doesn't squat while climbing like most designs, that's how they "get away with it." The question is what this frame does while climbing, if it squats, that's bad, if it extends, it's fine.

·
Registered
741 Posts
After studying the geometry charts and comparing it to other all mountain 650b bikes, I've decided to order a 19". I am 6 feet tall.

Interestingly, the effective top tube of the 19" is actually a bit longer than the large size of the canfield balance, Santa cruz Bronson, and specialized Enduro.

Cherry indicated that only the 17.5 frame is in stock. What this probably means is that they have finished the medium (17.5) mold but not the large (19) mold. Hopefully they are actively working on making that large mold.

61 - 80 of 826 Posts